1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shooting Competitions

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Ice Horse, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Feb 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse [OP] Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    Anyone do them? I really want to get into one potentially this summer. Or maybe a league but I honestly don't know anything about them or where to start. I've looked into them but it still seems to be over my head haha.

I have a Ruger SR22 pistol that I'd probably start off with. I'm a pretty good shot and I'd like to see how'd I'd do against others. Anyone have some tips? What kind of class types should I look into?

Hopefully I'm not being too vague, but any advice would help. :D

2. Feb 12, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    Alaskan toy

Alaskan toy Stormtrooper Corps

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2010 Arctic Edition (TRD Off-Road)
    Tonneau, Shackle Hitch, Auto Start, OEM Seat Covers, Color Matched Interior Accents
    I've kinda been wanting to to the same thing, but haven't had the time to follow up on any leads around here.

Head down to your local shooting range, they're going to be your best bet for information. They're the place that will be hosting/booking competitions, so they'll be able to fill you in on the different user groups. Gun stores I've found are hit or miss, many have referred me to the range.

3. Feb 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    TacPro45

TacPro45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    I shoot with a local club, primarily USPSA type shooting.

It is really fun, and a good opportunity to sharpen your skills as a shooter. Not many ranges let you move and shoot, shoot fast, and shoot multiple targets/steel.

I'm no expert, but I know a little about a lot if that makes sense. USPSA is broken down into classes, open, limited, production, etc. Personally I shoot production, which is basically a stock gun, you can replace basic parts like sights, but mags can only contain 10 rds.

This means more reloading, and no high speed ninja red dot speed shooting, but it's all relative when it comes to final scoring.

There is a balance between speed and accuracy, you can only move as fast as you can hit your target, so practice and muscle memory are key.

The club I shoot with has a practice night every week, which is scored, and also regular "trophy matches". You also learn a lot about legitimate formal competitions in your local area.

To start you will need a good gun belt, holster (USPSA requires the holster cover the trigger), mag holders, a gun (obviously), and at least 4 mags. We normally shoot a minimum of 3 stages, so I bring at least 100 rounds each practice night.

For example, I run a Glock 17 or 22, with a blackhawk serpa holster, double alpha belt, blackhawk mag holders, and 4 mags.

Just starting out, production is probably where you want to be. You don't want to go nuts and trick a gun out only to find out it doesnt work for you. Personally I like the challenge of running a stock gun.

I hope that helps!

:cool:

4. Feb 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    a .22 probably wouldn't cut it for IDPA, USPSA (perhaps the rules, and/or fact it probably can't knock over plates on poppers and other such contraptions), ...but perhaps there's target competitions it would work very well for...

5. Feb 12, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    There are definitely competition .22 pistols.

6. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Posting your location in your profile would help.

7. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    I know around my parts the NRA sanctions some bullseye pistol clinics and matches, along with high-power rifle matches. Finding a local club should be your first step in finding matches.

I've shot for the past 4 years on a combat marksmanship team with the ND National Guard. Best experiences of my life and the amount of knowledge I received was incredible.

8. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    Me Likey TRD

Me Likey TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    Toytec Ultimate w/Dakar leaf packs, Michilin 265/75/16 LTX AT2, FJ Trail Team replica wheels, Access Ltd bed cover, Katzkin leather, Brute Force rear bumper, Relentless Fab front bumper, Beefed sliders
    If possible, join a local gun club or shooting range. They should be a huge resource of information.

Be aware that there are a lot of different competitive shooting events and popularity varies geographically.

Because of this, not every club or range hosts everything out there - so be prepared to do some traveling if your specific interest isn't hosted locally.

I shot for a number of years in 'cowboy action shooting' using single action revolvers, lever action rifles, and a side-by-side shotgun - kind of a 3-gun shoot with period firearms.

Competitive shooting can be a lot of fun and you'll burn up tons of ammo, but in short order you'll become a confident and proficient marksman.

9. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    I've thought about doing some competition shooting. I agree with the other guys here, your best bet is looking at your local gun range, they will have some competitions (usually). Some of them will be casual type (club sponsored) i'm sure, that is where I would start.

I personally would like to get into some pistol silhouette shooting and try some IR 50/50. but I would need a gun that can run with the IR 50/50 crowd...

10. Feb 15, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    strip

strip Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Fort Smith AR
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD SR5 4x4
    Lift
    With a 22 steel challenge and Ruger rimfire are the 2 easiest and cheapest to get into.

11. Feb 16, 2013 at 5:25 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I shoot Vintage Sniper Matches - ranges are typically 300 to 600 yards but I'm competing in one next month at Quantico that will stretch out to 800 yards and my team partner is trying to get them to go to 1000.

12. Feb 16, 2013 at 5:51 AM
    Racer X

Racer X Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    That sounds like a lot of fun. What caliber do you shoot? I like to shoot my 22 lr at long range. My longest shot is 400 yards. I wonder if there are long range 22 competitions?

13. Feb 16, 2013 at 5:57 AM
    lbrewster

lbrewster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ellwood City, PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SR5
    Plasti-dipped grille surround, rear bumper, and badges, short antenna (cheap), shortened front mudflaps
    OP, Not sure on what your into or where you're located? But, I prefer IDPA.

Here's a link to my videos, these are all pretty recent. There are some other competitions on there, (carbine only, 3-gun) I placed 1st in the Patriot Match and 3rd in the Independence Match, these were 2 of the many sanctioned matches help in PA last year, but there are some local matches on there too. http://www.youtube.com/user/lanebrewster?feature=guide

If you're looking to shoot competitively with pistols, I would recommend IDPA. My thought, it's the most practical. I carry every day with the same weapon I use in competition, so I am extremely comfortable with it.

I know people recommend joining a range, I would hold off. I would find as many as possible within your comfortable driving distance, and visit them all. What are the facilities like, number of members, events, how long is the rifle range, how many benches, etc.. If i was going to pay $75/year, i wanted to make sure i could shoot whenever I want and it had everything i wanted.

As far as competing, there are many options, depends on what platform you want to compete with. If you carry, I recommend IDPA. It will really make you think.

It's scored the same way, time based, but you need to have a balance of speed and accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  14. Feb 16, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I compete with a WWII Soviet Mosin Nagant M91/30 PU sniper rifle - 7.62X54r. My match rifle is a 1942 Izhevsk with a 1942 Progress scope - 3.5X magnification. It's a tack driver - very easy to see why the Soviet snipers were so successful and hunted.

This is my rifle.

[​IMG]

This is my team partner, with my son spotting, on the 600 yard line last September during a match. We both use Soviet PU sniper rifles.

[​IMG]

15. Feb 16, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    I've shot some USPSA. I shoot single stack. That was probably one of the funnest things I have ever done. Expensive though if you dont reload. uspsa.org should have some info on shoots in your area.

16. Mar 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    TacPro45

TacPro45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
    Weathertech Floor Liners
  17. Mar 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    BlackSeven

BlackSeven Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    We have a competition here called "PA Steel" that is a bullseye style pistol shooting competition.

Just do a search for steel match, or join a local private shooting club. Most (including mine) give priority to woman and children competitors in sign ups.

I just ordered a CMP Garand for doing CMP Rifle competitions and I'd love to get into vintage sniper matches, but don't have the money for something like that at this time.

18. Mar 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    Velodude

Velodude Member

Member:
    First Name:
    EJ
    Gainesville
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    I would echo what I hear as the underlying theme to most of these replies. Join a reputable local club. Get some input from people in your area as to what types of events are offered nearby. Start cheap, factory or similar. Make sure that the number one priority of any event or training session is safety. Look at some of the NRA training programs, RSO Range Safety Officer or the like. Most quality clubs will want to see that you have at least the "minimum" understanding of handling firearms and safety. And many clubs will require some sort of additional education above and beyond a basic shooter safety course to allow you to shoot on steels and to move.

If you want to shoot and move, I would look at some courses offered through the Bill Rogers shooter school Elijay, GA, at least courses modeled after his style. If you want to shoot more precision based target/bulls eye there are a myriad of other courses to look into. Hope this helps.

Shoot safe and remember your muzzle discipline!

19. Mar 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    trib

trib Well-Known Member

Member:
    I always thought a WW2 style competition would be fun. Anyone ever tried one? Eg. each team is a country (USA=garand, England=enfield, Soviets=mosin) and do a run and gun course for points.

20. Mar 28, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    strip

strip Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Fort Smith AR
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD SR5 4x4
    Lift
    Nice run Tacpro!

Products Discussed in