Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Shooting Competitions

Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
Shooting Competitions

Anyone do them? I really want to get into one potentially this summer. Or maybe a league but I honestly don't know anything about them or where to start. I've looked into them but it still seems to be over my head haha.

I have a Ruger SR22 pistol that I'd probably start off with. I'm a pretty good shot and I'd like to see how'd I'd do against others. Anyone have some tips? What kind of class types should I look into?

Hopefully I'm not being too vague, but any advice would help.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Stormtrooper Corps
Alaskan toy is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Alaskan toy's Tacoma Gallery
I've kinda been wanting to to the same thing, but haven't had the time to follow up on any leads around here.

Head down to your local shooting range, they're going to be your best bet for information. They're the place that will be hosting/booking competitions, so they'll be able to fill you in on the different user groups. Gun stores I've found are hit or miss, many have referred me to the range.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
TacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
TacPro45's Tacoma Gallery
I shoot with a local club, primarily USPSA type shooting.

It is really fun, and a good opportunity to sharpen your skills as a shooter. Not many ranges let you move and shoot, shoot fast, and shoot multiple targets/steel.

I'm no expert, but I know a little about a lot if that makes sense. USPSA is broken down into classes, open, limited, production, etc. Personally I shoot production, which is basically a stock gun, you can replace basic parts like sights, but mags can only contain 10 rds.

This means more reloading, and no high speed ninja red dot speed shooting, but it's all relative when it comes to final scoring.

There is a balance between speed and accuracy, you can only move as fast as you can hit your target, so practice and muscle memory are key.

The club I shoot with has a practice night every week, which is scored, and also regular "trophy matches". You also learn a lot about legitimate formal competitions in your local area.

To start you will need a good gun belt, holster (USPSA requires the holster cover the trigger), mag holders, a gun (obviously), and at least 4 mags. We normally shoot a minimum of 3 stages, so I bring at least 100 rounds each practice night.

For example, I run a Glock 17 or 22, with a blackhawk serpa holster, double alpha belt, blackhawk mag holders, and 4 mags.

Just starting out, production is probably where you want to be. You don't want to go nuts and trick a gun out only to find out it doesnt work for you. Personally I like the challenge of running a stock gun.

I hope that helps!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
a .22 probably wouldn't cut it for IDPA, USPSA (perhaps the rules, and/or fact it probably can't knock over plates on poppers and other such contraptions), ...but perhaps there's target competitions it would work very well for...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
Anyone do them? I really want to get into one potentially this summer. Or maybe a league but I honestly don't know anything about them or where to start. I've looked into them but it still seems to be over my head haha.

I have a Ruger SR22 pistol that I'd probably start off with. I'm a pretty good shot and I'd like to see how'd I'd do against others. Anyone have some tips? What kind of class types should I look into?

Hopefully I'm not being too vague, but any advice would help.
Posting your location in your profile would help.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
I know around my parts the NRA sanctions some bullseye pistol clinics and matches, along with high-power rifle matches. Finding a local club should be your first step in finding matches.

I've shot for the past 4 years on a combat marksmanship team with the ND National Guard. Best experiences of my life and the amount of knowledge I received was incredible.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Me Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stan
Me Likey TRD's Tacoma Gallery
If possible, join a local gun club or shooting range. They should be a huge resource of information.

Be aware that there are a lot of different competitive shooting events and popularity varies geographically.

Because of this, not every club or range hosts everything out there - so be prepared to do some traveling if your specific interest isn't hosted locally.

I shot for a number of years in 'cowboy action shooting' using single action revolvers, lever action rifles, and a side-by-side shotgun - kind of a 3-gun shoot with period firearms.

Competitive shooting can be a lot of fun and you'll burn up tons of ammo, but in short order you'll become a confident and proficient marksman.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I've thought about doing some competition shooting. I agree with the other guys here, your best bet is looking at your local gun range, they will have some competitions (usually). Some of them will be casual type (club sponsored) i'm sure, that is where I would start.

I personally would like to get into some pistol silhouette shooting and try some IR 50/50. but I would need a gun that can run with the IR 50/50 crowd...
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
strip is a jewel in the roughstrip is a jewel in the roughstrip is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bill
strip's Tacoma Gallery
With a 22 steel challenge and Ruger rimfire are the 2 easiest and cheapest to get into.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #11
Devious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: COL, USA (Ret.)
Name: Mark
Devious6's Tacoma Gallery
I shoot Vintage Sniper Matches - ranges are typically 300 to 600 yards but I'm competing in one next month at Quantico that will stretch out to 800 yards and my team partner is trying to get them to go to 1000.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #12
Racer X will become famous soon enough

Firefighter:
Racer X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious6 View Post
I shoot Vintage Sniper Matches - ranges are typically 300 to 600 yards but I'm competing in one next month at Quantico that will stretch out to 800 yards and my team partner is trying to get them to go to 1000.
That sounds like a lot of fun. What caliber do you shoot? I like to shoot my 22 lr at long range. My longest shot is 400 yards. I wonder if there are long range 22 competitions?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
lbrewster is on a distinguished road
lbrewster's Tacoma Gallery
OP, Not sure on what your into or where you're located? But, I prefer IDPA.

Here's a link to my videos, these are all pretty recent. There are some other competitions on there, (carbine only, 3-gun) I placed 1st in the Patriot Match and 3rd in the Independence Match, these were 2 of the many sanctioned matches help in PA last year, but there are some local matches on there too. http://www.youtube.com/user/lanebrewster?feature=guide

If you're looking to shoot competitively with pistols, I would recommend IDPA. My thought, it's the most practical. I carry every day with the same weapon I use in competition, so I am extremely comfortable with it.

I know people recommend joining a range, I would hold off. I would find as many as possible within your comfortable driving distance, and visit them all. What are the facilities like, number of members, events, how long is the rifle range, how many benches, etc.. If i was going to pay $75/year, i wanted to make sure i could shoot whenever I want and it had everything i wanted.

As far as competing, there are many options, depends on what platform you want to compete with. If you carry, I recommend IDPA. It will really make you think.

It's scored the same way, time based, but you need to have a balance of speed and accuracy.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
Devious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: COL, USA (Ret.)
Name: Mark
Devious6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
That sounds like a lot of fun. What caliber do you shoot? I like to shoot my 22 lr at long range. My longest shot is 400 yards. I wonder if there are long range 22 competitions?
I compete with a WWII Soviet Mosin Nagant M91/30 PU sniper rifle - 7.62X54r. My match rifle is a 1942 Izhevsk with a 1942 Progress scope - 3.5X magnification. It's a tack driver - very easy to see why the Soviet snipers were so successful and hunted.

This is my rifle.

This is my team partner, with my son spotting, on the 600 yard line last September during a match. We both use Soviet PU sniper rifles.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I've shot some USPSA. I shoot single stack. That was probably one of the funnest things I have ever done. Expensive though if you dont reload. uspsa.org should have some info on shoots in your area.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
TacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
TacPro45's Tacoma Gallery
Shot in the us national steel championship over the weekend. Was a great time!

http://youtu.be/V1Vv-8CPDjQ
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded
BlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
BlackSeven's Tacoma Gallery
We have a competition here called "PA Steel" that is a bullseye style pistol shooting competition.

Just do a search for steel match, or join a local private shooting club. Most (including mine) give priority to woman and children competitors in sign ups.

I just ordered a CMP Garand for doing CMP Rifle competitions and I'd love to get into vintage sniper matches, but don't have the money for something like that at this time.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
Velodude is on a distinguished road
Name: EJ
Velodude's Tacoma Gallery
I would echo what I hear as the underlying theme to most of these replies. Join a reputable local club. Get some input from people in your area as to what types of events are offered nearby. Start cheap, factory or similar. Make sure that the number one priority of any event or training session is safety. Look at some of the NRA training programs, RSO Range Safety Officer or the like. Most quality clubs will want to see that you have at least the "minimum" understanding of handling firearms and safety. And many clubs will require some sort of additional education above and beyond a basic shooter safety course to allow you to shoot on steels and to move.

If you want to shoot and move, I would look at some courses offered through the Bill Rogers shooter school Elijay, GA, at least courses modeled after his style. If you want to shoot more precision based target/bulls eye there are a myriad of other courses to look into. Hope this helps.

Shoot safe and remember your muzzle discipline!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
trib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trib's Tacoma Gallery
I always thought a WW2 style competition would be fun. Anyone ever tried one? Eg. each team is a country (USA=garand, England=enfield, Soviets=mosin) and do a run and gun course for points.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #20
strip is a jewel in the roughstrip is a jewel in the roughstrip is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bill
strip's Tacoma Gallery
Nice run Tacpro!