Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Military purchase out of home state?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
Military purchase out of home state?

I'll be in Texas this summer for some training and was looking to pick up a gun or 2 since i'm there...looked up the various gun laws of my home state (HI) and also TX laws and it seems getting a gun elsewhere would be easier(and much cheaper) to update when I fly home. Just not sure how to do it if I can..

I won't have PCS orders so would I be SOL?

The main reason for doing is a plain cost savings as guns here are 50-75% more expensive here than the CONUS.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
double dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Derrick
double dee's Tacoma Gallery
everytime i've bought a gun i needed my pcs orders to prove where i'm residing
Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
I'll be in Texas this summer for some training and was looking to pick up a gun or 2 since i'm there...looked up the various gun laws of my home state (HI) and also TX laws and it seems getting a gun elsewhere would be easier(and much cheaper) to update when I fly home. Just not sure how to do it if I can..

I won't have PCS orders so would I be SOL?

The main reason for doing is a plain cost savings as guns here are 50-75% more expensive here than the CONUS.
You need to check your local laws.

If the gun you want to purchase is legal for you to buy/own/possess in your area, but cheaper to purchase in Texas, I don't think there would be an issue. Again, check your local laws.

Edit: I'm thinking civilian. So I wouldn't know for military, I just don't know why it would be different.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
luka's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, i'm not looking for anything fancy, maybe an AR-15 and a handgun just to play around with and stay profficient outside of the regular live-fire training. HI isn't that bad to own, just very limited on where you can shoot.

I'll have TDY orders staying on post..
Old 02-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
HossNFross Per "Oz"
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
You have to have PCS orders or an id with a local address.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
...as i understand it, you can purchase a gun in a different state, and have the dealer ship it to an FFL dealer in your state, ..where you would sign for it (form 4473), and probably pay an FFL transfer fee...

...that said, ...and, you mentioned AR-15, ..well, ..i don't know about much about HI, but i do know it's a communist state in terms of gun laws... you'd better check w/ HI laws to see what you "are allowed" to possess, ...a regular 'ole AR-15, legal in TX and most states, may not be legal to possess, in the standard configuration, in HI...

...thanks for your service!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
a name known to all
luka's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks.

My bro lives in OK so he might be able to help, but i'd rather not bother him if I don't have to.

AR's are ok here(non-auto), they are just anti anything with a clip capacity larger then 7 or 10(for handguns/rifles I think)..just have some paperwork to file for the permit and the local PD inspect it to make sure it's not an automatic.

i'll look into the form 4473, i'm pretty sure a transfer fee would still be much better then a straight up local purchase.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks.

My bro lives in OK so he might be able to help, but i'd rather not bother him if I don't have to.

AR's are ok here(non-auto), they are just anti anything with a clip capacity larger then 7 or 10(for handguns/rifles I think)..just have some paperwork to file for the permit and the local PD inspect it to make sure it's not an automatic.

i'll look into the form 4473, i'm pretty sure a transfer fee would still be much better then a straight up local purchase.
..again, ...i don't know HI, ...but FFL transfer fees are generally anywhere between $20 and $50 around these parts (i.e OH)..

you could even buy a rifle from an online vendor and have it shipped to an FFL in HI... good luck finding an AR-15, ...anywhere... unless it's sheer luck you walk into the store when they are taking delivery also, ...keep in mind some manufs include a 30rnd "standard capacity" magazine w/ rifle purchases...
Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
fritzthecat will become famous soon enough

Navy:
fritzthecat's Tacoma Gallery
Long Guns are ok to purchase out of state as longs as it is legal to own that long gun in your home state. And the state you are buying in has no specific laws forbidding the purchase.
Handguns must be shipped to an FFL in your home state and you take possession there.

Fritz
Old 02-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzthecat View Post
Long Guns are ok to purchase out of state as longs as it is legal to own that long gun in your home state. And the state you are buying in has no specific laws forbidding the purchase.
Handguns must be shipped to an FFL in your home state and you take possession there.
Depending on the laws of the state of residence.

BATFE says that an FFL must be involved for a transaction involving a resident of a different state.
The BATFE also says that the transactions must follow the laws of BOTH the state of residence and the state of the transaction.

It is not legal for a Californian (without an 03FFL) to purchase a gun of any kind outside of California. Hawaii is likely similar.

That said...

OP is in the military. His orders indicate his state of residence. If he is stationed in AZ or Texas, then he is legally a resident of that state.

The issue then becomes, what will happen when his deployment is over and he returns to Hawaii, or if he is later stationed in California.

If he is STATIONED in California, the DOJ will allow him to register a banned AR15, and the registration is valid for the duration of his orders.
No issues with a handgun (as long as it does not have a threaded barrel or other assault weapon features).

Hawaii will be a different story. I don't know what kind of assault weapon laws they have, but if he were returning to California to live permanently, he would not be able to bring a banned weapon with him, even if it would be legal to temporarily register for the term of his orders while stationed here.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks.

Your military deployment overrides what Wiley is talking about.

Wiley's situation would be as if you were on vacation and wanted to buy a gun in Texas.
The gun will be shipped to your receiving FFL, and you have to walk into that dealership and process it same as if you were buying online.
For one thing, the receiving FFL needs a heads up, and since you're going to be training, they need to be willing to store it until you get home.

Your brother can't help without getting into grey areas under federal law.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Can't you do a person to person purchase without all the paperwork? I've never sold any of my guns, but don't remember ever signing paper when I was buying from a person, and not a store.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Soon to be west coast
11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC1(SW/SS) Non Lethal Weapons Instructor Former STS SUBMARINES
Name: Jay
11TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
You have to have PCS orders or an id with a local address.
This /\

Unless you are purchasing from your state of record, thats on your drivers license. I am stationed in Virginia and have purchased guns here and they all required my PCS orders. But when I go home on leave in Tennessee all I need is my drivers license and another ID.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Can't you do a person to person purchase without all the paperwork? I've never sold any of my guns, but don't remember ever signing paper when I was buying from a person, and not a store.
It depends on the laws of his state of residence.

It is not legal for me to conduct a PPT outside of California (other than C&R), and California requires that the transfer take place at an FFL.
Full 4473, DROS, and background check even for a PPT.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #16
a name known to all
luka's Tacoma Gallery
nah, i'll be up north at Sheppard.

From what I read on the local PD website regarding gun registration here, there is a 14-day wait period for a permit that is good for 6 days to purchase...I'd assume that people find a gun and put a down-payment at the shop and wait for the permit before completing the sale.

Bringing in a gun from out of state only needs to physically brought in for an inspection within 72hours of arriving without a wait period to register.

If I read/understood it correctly

http://www.honolulupd.org/informatio...p?page=gunmain

I understand TX laws to be much simpler.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #17

Yes, Texas laws are much simpler, but you can't purchase a handgun in Texas without orders making you a temporary resident of Texas.

If you remain a HI resident, you must transfer the gun through an HI gun shop, and at that point, all of your current restrictions come back into play... it is cheaper and easier to simply buy OTC in your home state than it is to have one shipped in from another state.

One way around it, get an 03FFL, and you can then purchase handguns and long guns that are 50 years old or older when out of state and bring them home with you.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #18
timmyedge is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Ammo
Name: Timmy
timmyedge's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to timmyedge
Since you are a resident of HI you can not purchase a weapon from Tx. Reguardless of you beeing in Military. If you were stationed in Tx meaning you have orders you can. But since Tx doesnt sale any weapons to HI residents your SOL.....
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
Dandoozel is on a distinguished road
Navy: Petty Officer 1st Class
Dandoozel's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I would. Get a copy of your training orders, then when you check into the school house/ barracks go to the post office on base and get a mail box. Then when you go to the dealer you will have prove of residence if you need it. If you are lucky the dealer will see the orders and not question the integrity of the purchase. I betting he will be happy to sell to a service member. Texas is probably the most military friendly state I've been to. Good luck with the weapon and training.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #20
a name known to all
luka's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, i'm sure i'll figure it out before I get there in about 2 months.

Doing a purchase in TX and having the dealer ship it to another here locally would probably be the choice option if it'll save me a couple of bills. Just been hearing stories about insane price inflation due to the rush.