Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

what is the most money you would spend on a knife?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #41
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
neat!! one swing into that tree? nice.

i find D2 steel the most difficult to sharpen. i just cant get it as sharp as my others..i like benchmade steel..that 154C2 or whatever..

S30V, i like it too!!

nothing gets sharper than high carbon steel. but i have to baby those.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #42
fireboltr is a glorious beacon of lightfireboltr is a glorious beacon of lightfireboltr is a glorious beacon of lightfireboltr is a glorious beacon of lightfireboltr is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Phil
fireboltr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i find D2 steel the most difficult to sharpen. i just cant get it as sharp as my others..i like benchmade steel..that 154C2 or whatever..

S30V, i like it too!!

nothing gets sharper than high carbon steel. but i have to baby those.

Some of the great knife makers of our time including Bob Dozier himself says "D2 takes a shitty edge but it will hold that edge forever"
D2 likes a "toothier" edge. Don't try to polish it, it tends to orange peel. I usually stop at 600-1000 grit and go no higher 18-21 degree edge.

S30V is a good "stainless" steel.... too bad it micro chips like crazy
S35vn (Chris Reeves newest steel... he helped cruicible develope both S30V and S35VN, hence why he was the FIRST to use it) is the closest thing I have ever used to a tool steel that is still "stainless"... Mike Stewart (Bark River) loves it as well. It is simply the toughest "stainless" out there

You want to try out one of the best cheap as all hell folding knives out there??
Try a Svord Peasant knife... like 15$ friction folder sweedish l6 tool steel. Takes a true razor edge and about as tough as it comes.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #43
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Free99 i got a SOG knife for free there freaken awesome
Old 03-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #44
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireboltr View Post
D2 likes a "toothier" edge. Don't try to polish it, it tends to orange peel. I usually stop at 600-1000 grit and go no higher 18-21 degree edge.
Wow.
I know it's an entirely different world, but seeing it in print drives it home.

My "daily use knife" (if you want to call it a knife)... I set the bevel on a DMT1200. I would only go down to the DMT325 if I needed to hone out a chip.

From there, if I'm using synthetic stones, I'll progress to 4k, 8k, 12k, and finish off on a Chinese 12k.
But normally I'll just run the entire process on a Belgian Coticule, gradually diluting the slurry until clear, then adding a layer of electrical tape to the spine and a couple dozen polishing laps with mineral oil.

My $350 "knife"

Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #45
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
I have seen a lot of beautiful knives and understand the handwork that goes into them. But for me a knife is a tool and it is going to get used, sometimes even abused. I have a hard time spending $100, and have many at half that that are good reliable knives. My daily carry is a Spiderco. I have a couple Bencmade that are nice too, and probably 50 more new in box knives at this time because I like knives!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #46
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by C O R E View Post
Buy a blade blank and a wood blank and try your hand at making one like me...

I'll post pics when I can.
would love to see this.. thinking about making my brother a knife for a b-day present
Old 03-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #47
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
would love to see this.. thinking about making my brother a knife for a b-day present

here is one I did.

Untitled by beavis0076, on Flickr
Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #48
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
here is one I did.

Untitled by beavis0076, on Flickr
Looks great! how long did it take you to finish up? Like I said, I'd like to do this and make one for my brother. I can find all the supplies on line but I'm just a little worried about time and my tools. Really only have basic tools, one hacksaw, sand paper, etc. Have all the knife sharpening supplies though so that wouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #49
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I did it when I was around 14.. .quite awhile ago.. I have no idea how long it took..lol.. sorry.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #50
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco084gb View Post
Benchmade Rukus.$275.00
Got this one given to me it was hand forged. Great knife Its out of 1040 carbon.
Repped. Stunning stunning knife. I want one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
About $500 but the knife I carry daily is about 1/10th that price, can be purchased at Walmart, has a great grip & an AWESOME action!

I have the same one but not the Tanto version. Carry it on every call I go to. Love it to bits.

Pretty sure I dropped like $375+ on this.

Worth every penny.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #51
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Peace Officer currently, US Army "Retired" as well
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
I spent $200+ (can't remember exact price) on my benchmade auto-opener. Tanto point blade, push button auto. I got it before a major deployment. The story is very long and boring but the short....they sent me a new one....free of charge after seeing the pictures of the remains of the original one. I'll spend good $ on another benchmade if I ever need one.