Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Carry with a chambered round???

View Poll Results: do you keep a round chambered when you carry?
Yes - keep one chambered 673 84.02%
No - i don't (post your reasoning) 128 15.98%
Voters: 801. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #261
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
If you were a crook and drawing against this LEO ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOfr6hU5fic

I would guess that he keeps 1 in the chamber ...
Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #262
anarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
anarion55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
If you were a crook and drawing against this LEO ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOfr6hU5fic

I would guess that he keeps 1 in the chamber ...
Most likely, he doesn't. Single action revolvers like the ones he's wearing (Colt Single Action Army; AKA Peacemaker; AKA SAA) are only safe to carry with the hammer down over an EMPTY chamber, unless the revolver in question is of a modern design, incorporating a transfer bar.

You'll notice that he cocks the hammer before firing... that advances a LOADED chamber in line with the hammer/barrel. If all six chambers were loaded the firing pin (integral with hammer) can easily contact the primer with enough force to discharge the round.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #263
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. DTOM
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
No for a few reasons:
1: I'm only 18 so I can only carry on private property w/ permission (It's a heck of a lot less likely it would ever see use)
2: It's a Glock...no safety.
3: I can rack the slide very quickly.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #264
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarion55 View Post
Most likely, he doesn't. Single action revolvers like the ones he's wearing (Colt Single Action Army; AKA Peacemaker; AKA SAA) are only safe to carry with the hammer down over an EMPTY chamber, unless the revolver in question is of a modern design, incorporating a transfer bar.

You'll notice that he cocks the hammer before firing... that advances a LOADED chamber in line with the hammer/barrel. If all six chambers were loaded the firing pin (integral with hammer) can easily contact the primer with enough force to discharge the round.
Didn't gun fighters keep a $5 bill in the empty chamber, to pay for their burial?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #265
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
So a gallon of diesel today is as expensive as a funeral back in the day?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #266
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
So a gallon of diesel today is as expensive as a funeral back in the day?
You could get a shave and a haircut for $0.25
1908, a new car was $200-$400.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #267
nucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
nucktaco's Tacoma Gallery
i don't have any handguns i guess things arnt as scary up here in canada so don't see a need for everyone to carry and I'm honestly happy we can't.

not looking to get into a gun debate just my $.02

that being said i do have a few guns. sks, remington 870 and a .22 rife.

i only have these on me when camping/wheeling. they are unloaded when in the truck but once camp is set up or I'm stopped to cook lunch the 12 gauge sits loaded with safety on and one in the chamber and is within reach.

the .22 i might as well just slap whatever is coming at me cause it isn't gona protect me unless I'm being attacked by a gang of squirrels.

the sks has an issue with slam fire so its never loaded unless I'm about to shoot it.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #268
anarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
anarion55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathom View Post
Didn't gun fighters keep a $5 bill in the empty chamber, to pay for their burial?
I hadn't heard that, but it would have to be paper currency; I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that most currency in the "wild west" was coined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucktaco View Post
i don't have any handguns i guess things arnt as scary up here in canada so don't see a need for everyone to carry and I'm honestly happy we can't.

not looking to get into a gun debate just my $.02

that being said i do have a few guns. sks, remington 870 and a .22 rife.

i only have these on me when camping/wheeling. they are unloaded when in the truck but once camp is set up or I'm stopped to cook lunch the 12 gauge sits loaded with safety on and one in the chamber and is within reach.

the .22 i might as well just slap whatever is coming at me cause it isn't gona protect me unless I'm being attacked by a gang of squirrels.

the sks has an issue with slam fire so its never loaded unless I'm about to shoot it.
Sounds like you have a reasonable, safe, plan. No debate needed; I respect your right to choose not to own or carry handguns; most gun owners do.

We only ask that you respect our right to choose otherwise I do wonder one thing - you apparently feel the need for a defensive shotgun in camp or wheeling; a handgun serves the same purpose, but can be more readily at hand. A handgun DOES require considerably more training and practice to become proficient at a basic level than a shotgun, but otherwise, they are just different tools for the same job...

You should get that SKS looked at by a competent gunsmith; slam fire can be extremely dangerous. And btw... squirrel makes a damned find stew...
Old 04-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #269
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
X2. It should be relatively easy to fix. The SKS has a free-floating firing pin, which can be stuck in the forward position if fouled with too much gunk, cosmoline or if the pin was installed upside down.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #270
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaqori View Post
No for a few reasons:
1: I'm only 18 so I can only carry on private property w/ permission (It's a heck of a lot less likely it would ever see use)
Is that Ga law? Here in NC you can open carry at 18.

I'm still a little lost as to why anybody would carry a gun unloaded. If you treat guns as if they were always loaded(which you should) then it should make no difference whether there's one in the tube or not.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #271
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post

I'm still a little lost as to why anybody would carry a gun unloaded. If you treat guns as if they were always loaded(which you should) then it should make no difference whether there's one in the tube or not.

i dont like to on a striker fired unless i'm in the ghetto. i dont trust it enough not to fire if it's dropped. they say it shouldnt, but alot of things shouldnt happen, that do. that extra 2 seconds to rack the slide gives me 2 seconds to think before i have to shoot. but also, i constantly go on a military base and loaded is a big no no for them, so it'd be a hassle to eject a shell about every day.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #272
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
i dont like to on a striker fired unless i'm in the ghetto. i dont trust it enough not to fire if it's dropped. they say it shouldnt, but alot of things shouldnt happen, that do. that extra 2 seconds to rack the slide gives me 2 seconds to think before i have to shoot. but also, i constantly go on a military base and loaded is a big no no for them, so it'd be a hassle to eject a shell about every day.
At least the Glock and Springfield striker fired have a positive block that prevents the pin from moving forward if dropped.
The 1911 is the one that is more worrisome. The pin is completely free-floating and a drop on the muzzle theoretically could impact the primer.
I'm running a titanium pin in mine for the added safety.

But honestly, part of the California acceptance testing is a drop test. A number of guns have failed the test and been recalled/redesigned by the manufacturers because of that (Ruger LCP is one, I think there was a Smith as well).
If a gun is on the California roster, it's not going to fire from being dropped.
If it's not on the roster, it may still be safe... CA changed a couple of rules, so in a number of cases, two identical guns are not both listed, because the newer one lacks a magazine disconnect (can't be fired with the mag out), or perhaps lacks a loaded chamber indicator (which can be as simple as some red paint on the side of the extractor).
Old 04-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #273
WPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

WPDAWG11's Tacoma Gallery
I always keep one chambered in my glock21 sf!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #274
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No for a few reasons:
1) Ok.
2) The Glock has several safeties. They are all automatic.
3) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #275
NorthWoods is a jewel in the roughNorthWoods is a jewel in the roughNorthWoods is a jewel in the rough
NorthWoods's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Tell me more about how you know exactly how you will need to defend yourself....

I always carry one in the pipe. Ready to go at a moments notice. (Glock 19 with 135+P Critical Duty)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #276
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevAdam View Post
1) Ok.
2) The Glock has several safeties. They are all automatic.
3) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Those safeties don't stop a snag on the center of the trigger. It may be extremely unlikely to happen - but there's still that chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWoods View Post
Tell me more about how you know exactly how you will need to defend yourself....

I always carry one in the pipe. Ready to go at a moments notice. (Glock 19 with 135+P Critical Duty)
The most likely scenario I'd be in would be a home invasion. The sound of the slide racking may be more of a deterrent than the sight of the gun. Plus I'd have plenty of time to rack it
Old 05-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #277

xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post

No open carry without "weapons license" or something like that. But I think the age on that is still 21
Old 05-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #278
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Those safeties don't stop a snag on the center of the trigger. It may be extremely unlikely to happen - but there's still that chance

The most likely scenario I'd be in would be a home invasion. The sound of the slide racking may be more of a deterrent than the sight of the gun. Plus I'd have plenty of time to rack it

middle of the night...completely dark

why would you give away your biggest tactical advantage by letting the bad guys know a)youre there b)you have a gun and c)where the fuck you are hiding

if they are intending to do you harm...well...you just fucked yourself
Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #279
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
middle of the night...completely dark

why would you give away your biggest tactical advantage by letting the bad guys know a)youre there b)you have a gun and c)where the fuck you are hiding

if they are intending to do you harm...well...you just fucked yourself
^^^^^^ This.

That whole racking the shotgun crap will get you shot. Real life isn't a movie.

As far as snagging the corner of the trigger... on a Glock, you must depress the center "safe action" lever to pull the trigger. If you somehow manage to put something in the trigger guard to do this while reholstering or holding the firearm, you wasn't trained properly enough to handle a firearm. We only hear of this phenomena occurring among untrained and unsafe
people. (And people who think hanging their gun on the hook in the bathroom is a good idea)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #280
SigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: STS
SigSense's Tacoma Gallery
Not having a round in the chamber is like not having the Halon in a fire extinguisher......until you need it. You either trust your weapons handling skills or you don't.