Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Carry with a chambered round???

View Poll Results: do you keep a round chambered when you carry?
Yes - keep one chambered 671 83.98%
No - i don't (post your reasoning) 128 16.02%
Voters: 799. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Do you guys have a positive safety/firing pin block/hammer intercept notch? If our weapons don't have any of those we don't carry one in the chamber.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
All of my guns are loaded all the time. They are just expensive sticks otherwise.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStorm View Post
Personally, I don't carry one chambered. I have a S&W M&P, so no safety selector switch. I'm okay with carrying a chambered weapon when two things have to happen to fire, but I'm not comfortable enough when all it takes is something getting caught in the trigger well at the right angle. I do know that the trigger safety works well, but I train enough with my weapon that chambering a round is a quick, reflexive action.

My view is that if I don't have the 1-2 seconds it takes to rack the slide back as I draw, I probably don't have enough time to actually acquire a target and be effective. I just would rather not have some fluke happen while drawing the weapon (Whether taking in and out or actually drawing to fire) and fire one into my thigh. Personal opinion though. Whatever you decide, train with it.
Another good point. If you're not comfortable with drawing safely however you carry it, then it's kind of a moot point.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Personally, I don't carry one chambered. I have a S&W M&P, so no safety selector switch. I'm okay with carrying a chambered weapon when two things have to happen to fire, but I'm not comfortable enough when all it takes is something getting caught in the trigger well at the right angle. I do know that the trigger safety works well, but I train enough with my weapon that chambering a round is a quick, reflexive action.

My view is that if I don't have the 1-2 seconds it takes to rack the slide back as I draw, I probably don't have enough time to actually acquire a target and be effective. I just would rather not have some fluke happen while drawing the weapon (Whether taking in and out or actually drawing to fire) and fire one into my thigh. Personal opinion though. Whatever you decide, train with it.
weapon saftey rules apply keep your finger strait and off the trigger till your ready to fire and you won't have any issue puttin one in your thigh
Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 yotaman View Post
weapon saftey rules apply keep your finger strait and off the trigger till your ready to fire and you won't have any issue puttin one in your thigh
this, if you train enough with indexing then in a high stress situation you will automatically index.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #26
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
It takes me less than 3 seconds to get to my conceal carry and put 3 rounds down range (pretty accurately at that). If I have to rack the gun, we are talking 4 maybe even 5 seconds.

Most cases where you have to pull a gun is going to happen with in 10-15 feet of you. Being that close, every second counts.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
SLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
SLACK3R's Tacoma Gallery
I am always ready to go with one in the chamber, I carry M&P 9c no safety of any kind, gun rules apply keep finger off the trigger till you are ready to take the shot if you do that your good to go.
Remember it is faster to act then to react if some one has a weapon drawn on you you can get your shot off faster even if it is holstered if you practice. If you don't have one chambered at that point your screwed.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #28
Dr. Cornwallis is on a distinguished road
Dr. Cornwallis's Tacoma Gallery
If you carry a gun with no round chambered, you're an idiot and deserve to die.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #29
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I guess it boils down to your level of training you have if you don't feel confident with a weapon than don't carry one, you will be a danger to yourself and others on a knowledge level, I am military trained expert in firearms and their manipulation, I teach concealed carry classes up here in colorado most the problems I see are that people are afraid of their weapons good training and time on the range is the only thing that makes a person comfertable using their weapon effectivly and safetley.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #30
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
very intelligent response, thank you.

To everyone else, thanks for the input!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #31
Specalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
Cocked and Locked.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #32
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 yotaman View Post
I guess it boils down to your level of training you have if you don't feel confident with a weapon than don't carry one, you will be a danger to yourself and others on a knowledge level, I am military trained expert in firearms and their manipulation, I teach concealed carry classes up here in colorado most the problems I see are that people are afraid of their weapons good training and time on the range is the only thing that makes a person comfertable using their weapon effectivly and safetley.
very true
Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #33
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch, and use a proper holster. Then carry the way you are supposed to.

If you are scared to carry the firearm the way it was intended because you might cause a Negligent Discharge, maybe you shouldn't be carrying a firearm.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #34
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
I always carry chambered.

But I will say this, whether you do, or dont carry one in the chamber, always be consistent.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #35
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarine View Post

But I will say this, whether you do, or dont carry one in the chamber, always be consistent.
Well said DEVIL
Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #36
AYYYYYYYYYYYY

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Right. I can see this side of the coin for sure.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #37
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
Wow just wow
Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #38
AYYYYYYYYYYYY

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarine View Post

Thanks for the input - consistency is key!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #40
Aim small, miss small.
WhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant future

Army:
WhiteStorm's Tacoma Gallery
I think my response was misunderstood a little bit. I too have experience and military training with firearms - it's not my finger that I'm protecting myself against. I have a clip-draw (no holster) when I CC, which leaves my trigger well open to an incidental contact with something. Likely? No. However, I'll trade heightened safety with extra time spent training for the 1/100 chance of a ND. If I had an actual safety on my particular weapon and/or a full holster, I would carry locked and loaded for sure. That being said, I realize that I am on the more conservative side of this issue and that there isn't a right or wrong answer. I train like I fight and would venture to say that I can still put a double-tap down range just as quickly and effectively as someone who carries chambered. I rack the slide in one motion as it's coming up from my hip.