Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Carry with a chambered round???

View Poll Results: do you keep a round chambered when you carry?
Yes - keep one chambered 673 84.02%
No - i don't (post your reasoning) 128 15.98%
Voters: 801. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #501
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I also guarantee that you'll clean your room a minimum of 10 times more in the Marine Corps.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #502
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
News just on FOX 5 Atlanta.

The newscaster (on TV & video ) said security guard did this: ... "he racked his gun and fired the 2 shots".

Article below just said security guard fired 2 shots. Does not mention racking/chambering a round

Robber robs a Waffle House & points gun at off duty LEO & security guard (both armed & sitting at the counter by the cash register - beside the standing robber) and the shoot out begins

The video and written article --> http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/22...-shoots-robber

Written article below:

FULTON COUNTY, Ga. -
A customer at a Union City Waffle House who turned the tables on an armed robber is now being called a hero. Authorities say the suspect pointed his gun at an off-duty Atlanta police officer, who was having a late meal with his best friend-- an armed, off-duty security guard.

Officers were called to the Waffle House located in the 4300 block of Jonesboro Road just before 2 a.m. Monday. Officers were told that a black man wearing a black bandana and a hood over his head walked into the restaurant with a gun in hand and demanded money. At least 13 people were inside the restaurant at the time.

Authorities say the suspect, 21-year-old Aston McAfee, pointed his gun at the customer sitting closest to the register. That customer happened to be off-duty Atlanta police officer Jonathan Sutton. Sutton couldn't get to his gun.

Sutton's best friend, Chad Pollard-- a security guard and former firefighter-- was also off duty, but he was armed with his gun. He grabbed it and fired two shots. McAfee dropped his weapon and fell to the floor.

The police report says McAfee told the first officers who arrived at the scene, "Man, I'm just trying to get some money for my baby."

Pollard says with so many potentially innocent victims in the restaurant, instinct took over and he's glad he did what he did.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #503
Pavement Princess
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post

Written article below:

Sutton's best friend, Chad Pollard-- a security guard and former firefighter-- was also off duty, but he was armed with his gun. He grabbed it and fired two shots. McAfee dropped his weapon and fell to the floor.

The police report says McAfee told the first officers who arrived at the scene, "Man, I'm just trying to get some money for my baby."

Pffft......get a damn job! Good for the security guard!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #504
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
Pffft......get a damn job! Good for the security guard!
... ^^^ ... All of us that saw the news cast said the same thing ...
Old 07-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #505
Astraa70 is on a distinguished road
Astraa70's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco4x4 View Post
A gun not loaded is no good to me. That couple seconds it takes to chamber a round may be the difference between life and death.. Just My Opinion...

+2 chambered and on safety.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #506
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraa70 View Post
+2 chambered and on safety.
What safety? All three of my safeties disengage as I pull the trigger.

Pull and shoot, like a revolver, but several more bullets.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #507
Astraa70 is on a distinguished road
Astraa70's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
What safety? All three of my safeties disengage as I pull the trigger.

Pull and shoot, like a revolver, but several more bullets.
Just depends on what piece you carry. I can flick the thumb safety off as I unholster.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #508

I leave the safety off on my 1911. It has the rear grip safety, obviously the trigger is protected in holster, and the safety that I choose not to engage. Different strokes.

I still stand by, if you don't train with it you're wrong. None of this matters much then.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #509
Hunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1LT, Infantry (11A)
Name: Hunter
Hunter.V.White's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I leave the safety off on my 1911. It has the rear grip safety, obviously the trigger is protected in holster, and the safety that I choose not to engage. Different strokes.

I still stand by, if you don't train with it you're wrong. None of this matters much then.
I agree "different strokes" and definitely to train with what you carry. I've been told though that the 1911 was designed to be carried "cocked and locked" - meaning the hammer back (round chambered) and safety engaged. Something to consider if you ever decide to make a change, or change holsters, etc.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #510

I carry my G19 now. I'm enjoying it
Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #511
hurley842002 has a spectacular aura abouthurley842002 has a spectacular aura abouthurley842002 has a spectacular aura about

Law Enforcement:
Name: Dan
hurley842002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I carry my G19 now. I'm enjoying it
Excellent choice!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley842002 View Post
Excellent choice!
I agree.

I just spent my birthday afternoon training my girlfriend and little brother with it. It was a successful evening. We went through over 400 rounds and by the end they were doing failure drills and speed reloads sidestepping and taking a knee and all that jazz. A great evening indeed

I'd trust my 11 year old brother with a pistol more than most grown men with their ccw to be honest.

I saw a guy in Scheels just yesterday talking about how his ccw is in the mail and he's totally going to be BA with a gun (didn't even know which one he wanted to pick at this point. Just came in to hold em all and talk about himself).
Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #513
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The 1911 is not intended to be carried that way. The thumb safety blocks the hammer. The grip safety does not.
As a side note. If your pistol is ever forcibly removed from you, it adds a second of reaction time for you, as they figure out how to disengage it.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #514
Easy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud ofEasy rider has much to be proud of
Easy rider's Tacoma Gallery
always.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #515
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

01TacoBuz's Tacoma Gallery
The time it takes to chamber a round could be the same amount of time it takes for the bad guy to take your life

Always carry chambered, a firearm with an empty chamber is nothing more than a rock

Might as well keep a rock in your pocket
Old 08-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #516

I chose to not chamber one today as I ran to the tire store in a nice small town

Now I'm going to hear it (probably from people who don't train) about how changing up the way you carry will be the end of the world in a shtf situation. Haha

There is no "right answer" it is all situational. I would never tell a noob with his first gun with no training to chamber a round. While I carry chambered I chose not to today.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #517
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

01TacoBuz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would never tell a noob with his first gun with no training to chamber a round.
I agree

Anyone that is going to carry daily, should have training

Without training, they are a danger to themselves and everyone around them
Old 08-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #518
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I chose to not chamber one today as I ran to the tire store in a nice small town

Now I'm going to hear it (probably from people who don't train) about how changing up the way you carry will be the end of the world in a shtf situation. Haha

There is no "right answer" it is all situational. I would never tell a noob with his first gun with no training to chamber a round. While I carry chambered I chose not to today.
I'll bite. I would say one thing worse than not chambering a round is changing your carry routine. Muscle memory is extremely important, and in a pinch, you might leave yourself wondering if you already have a round chambered or not. I'm becoming more and more concerned about people around me carrying guns after reading this thread.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #519
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
My logic has always been that if someone comes up from behind you and grabs you or if someone has a gun in your face, it's gonna be a helluva lot more difficult to chamber a round and shoot than to just have a bullet chambered and ready to go in the first place. What the hell is the point of carrying an unloaded gun? You gonna pistol whip them to death?
Old 08-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #520
T0xikTak0 is on a distinguished road
Name: Todd
T0xikTak0's Tacoma Gallery
I say locked and loaded.. Chambered

I don't have my cow but thinking of getting a non resident cow in Nevada