1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carry with a chambered round???

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by cgs2k2, Feb 22, 2013.

?

do you keep a round chambered when you carry?

1. Yes - keep one chambered

717 vote(s)
    84.1%
  2. No - i don't (post your reasoning)

136 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. Oct 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    Runn0r

Runn0r Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    I dont carry chambered because it's a Glock, and im not a cop. I practice racking with snap caps all the time. Personally I enjoy myself more knowing there is not a critical duty in battery aiming down my femoral artery. If I were entering a zone of known heightened danger I might carry chambered. But I don't normally find myself in areas where I feel I couldn't rack the slide as part of my draw. ("But what if ur racking arm is dead?") then the front sight post off the shoe, the leg, or any surface works too. Other guns than the glock, different story.

Afterall, I did only carry a knife most of my life...and If I cant survive racking a slide, then oh well, I hope the bastard burns!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. Oct 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    I carry chambered. All of my CCW's have manual safeties, so the round gets chambered and the safety gets set.

3. Oct 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    jangel2

jangel2 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '05 DC PreRunner
    Bilsteins in front @ 1.75, OMD Rear leafs, HID heads and fogs, dipped front grille and lower valence, red LEDs in dome and maps, map/dome mod, Custom Bed Rack and Sliders, 32" EYourLife LED Bar, 2 x 6" Side LED Bars, 2 Cube Work Lights and 6" LED Bed/Reverse Lights.
    Loaded but not chambered

My reason is stupidity...I can be capable of it at times, even with a weapon.

But a quick rip of the slide and I have hot 40 coming at ya.

4. Oct 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I do not carry - not here in CA, no sir - but at home the semi has an empty chamber (I can chamber it faster than taking the safety off).

My revolvers, were I to carry them, would be hammer down on a spent shell. I like my balls where they are. No possible AD, you gotta pull the trigger and when you do, it rotates onto a live round and you're good.

If my one semi didn't shoot so good - freakin' tack driver - I'd be all revolver all the time.

Someone earlier asked why. This is why:

http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.com/2010/09/myths-of-israeli-method-of-carry-or-why.html

I'm not a cop or superhero and have never been in a gunfight. If there is a merciful God I never will be. I am a good shot. I am a shitty fighter. I'm smart enough to know the difference and old enough that my testosterone doesn't get in the way of a realistic appraisal of my abilities.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  5. Oct 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Just ask Dianne Feinstein to give you special dispensation to carry a gun. She got one for herself, I'm sure she'd be happy to get one for you!:rolleyes:

6. Oct 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    You can get a permit in San Diego.

Los Angeles, Orange, and Imperial are the only counties in SoCal where it is impossible to get a permit.

7. Oct 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Don't know who told you this, but it's wrong. While San Diego is technically issuing permits, San Diego does not actually issue permits, with some very, very rare exceptions. Mostly for politicians. Shocker, I know.

8. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    bigtaco06

bigtaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers
    Im working on mine for Yuba county right now. Being a Mil and aCop will help with my justification for why I need one.

9. Oct 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    caliproblems-lol

10. Oct 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    MrStumpy

MrStumpy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sport LB 4x4
    BaK Flip VP bed cover, Weather Tech vent shades, Flyzeye LED wired lighting
    It is easy to say one way or the other to carry a loaded chamber dependingon your comfort level. Me personally I choose locked and loaded. I have been in 2 confrontations. I did not have to fire my weapon in either. Situational awareness is the best friend you can have other than a loaded firearm, extra mags and having a plan to move away from the threat. If you are not moving you are dying.

In the first Gulf War the Marines had a sign above one of their barracks.The words on that sign have stuck with me ever since:

Have a plan to kill everyone you meet today.

My first instance was a guy coming into my motel room via a ground window. I drew down on the young man and in not so nice of terms I asked if he would like to exit the same way he came in, he screamed and exited back out the window. I took that as a yes.

The second was 2 men and a woman started approaching me after I parked and was exiting my truck to head into a motel. The woman was the lookout and the 2men approached from different angles. After my first altercation (5 years previous) I now have the tendency to scan the area when I enter a parking lot and look for threats. These 3 were in the shadows adjacent to the motel. The closest guy started making a fast approach but not quite a run. I did something I was trained to do. As I stepped out of my truck I put my hand on my gun and put my left hand up and gave what is called a willful command. I said STOP! He did, he also noticed I had my hand on a rather large gun. In giving a loud clear order to STOP the second guy stopped as well. Here is what went through my mind next in less than a second. Target 1 was less than 10 feet from me,(too damn close) the backdrop behind target 1 was a brick wall. I will draw and fire 2 shots maybe 3 at waist level. With my left hand up I can bring it back to my chest to keep from shooting myself in the arm. Target 2 the other man was 20 to 30 feet away and if he moved any closer he would be the next target. The backdrop behind target 2 was an open field of about 100 yards. After I gave the STOP command none of the 3 moved. To me that was the best option of all involved. My son had exited the truck and was at the driver’s side front and saw what was happening. All he said was "oh shit". Had this individual gotten closer I would have shot him where he was. I think he realized this in the words my son said. I closed the driver’s side door, locked the tuck and backed my way to the front of the truck. All 3 started a slow backward movement. By the time I got to the door of the motel and dialed 911 they were in a car and gone.

If you are carrying you have the responsibly to protect those that are with you. That does not mean a protracted gun fight. Nor does it mean talking trash. If you can defuse a situation you are better for it. If you have to fight keep moving and make shots count. I can tell you from the altercations I have had I was glad I had a round in the chamber. With everything that starts happening (extremely fast) when the SHTF I DO NOT want to point a firearm at a threat and snap on an empty chamber.

My son is now with the local PD and they carry loaded, but they also have holsters that are made to retain their firearm.

Just my 2cents worth

11. Oct 12, 2013 at 3:44 AM
    1bad10tacoma

1bad10tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Brewer Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport
    tonneau,tailgate lock, OEM cruise, Int. wiper, , mud flap mod,weatertech's,fj rims
    I have 2 small kids with me all the time so an accidental discharge worries me, so I carry unchambered.

12. Oct 12, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    Again, if you have fear of the firearm you're carrying you A) Need more training B) Need a different firearm C) Need a different holster D) Need to reevaluate your CCW Choice.

Having an already heightened stress level brought in to a fight or flight situation never ends good.

13. Oct 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I keep two in the chamber, just in case.

14. Oct 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    I was not able to get a carry permit here in San Diego.

15. Oct 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It is not easy, but it is not impossible.
    It is impossible in LA, OC, and Imperial for a normal person.

Things have changed over the last 5 years.
    If you have a reasonable cause, apply again.

16. Oct 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    3/3

17. Oct 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    5 in 5 here... 158gr .357mag

18. Oct 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    TacoMaaa

TacoMaaa Active Member

Member:
    Minot ND
    Vehicle:
    08 super white TRD Sport SR5
    Its all about being cocked, locked and ready to rock. Do you really want to be caught off guard with no round in the chamber?

19. Oct 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Same reason when I was in college I didn't beat off before going clubbing :D

20. Oct 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    :rofl:

Products Discussed in