Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Carry with a chambered round???

View Poll Results: do you keep a round chambered when you carry?
Yes - keep one chambered 674 84.04%
No - i don't (post your reasoning) 128 15.96%
Voters: 802. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #622
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I do. G27 in a hybrid holster
Old 01-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #626
whopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: wayne
whopper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco4x4 View Post
A gun not loaded is no good to me. That couple seconds it takes to chamber a round may be the difference between life and death.. Just My Opinion...
that's rite chad one in the pipe at all times
Old 01-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #627
Banned
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
i only carry with 1 chambered if the gun i am using has a safety.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #628
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnercaged View Post
i only carry with 1 chambered if the gun i am using has a safety.
I am not aware of any modern autoloading handguns that don't have safeties or a very long, heavy DA only trigger.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #629
Lou Slink is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
Lou Slink's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what I'm carrying. My Sig P229, yes. My Kel-Tec P3AT, no. There's no safety or de-cock.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #630
signalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Airborne Signal Soldier
Name: Robert
signalbobby's Tacoma Gallery
no round chambered. If you are carrying holstered and getting into situations to have to send lead down range without chambering, is typically LEO or military. Having a loaded weapon, mentally should have situational awareness and scan to get focused.

Some states will see having a chambered round negatively at the same time seeing that you chambered a round also negative. its all opinions and personal preference, but for testosterone fueled beings, best idea is to keep it not chambered. It gives all of you another chance to think what you are doing before chambering, changing selector switch and pulling the trigger.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #631
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt TuRD View Post
My Kel-Tec P3AT, no. There's no safety or de-cock.
So you would never carry a revolver? I've never seen a revolver with a manual safety. The P3AT has a very long, heavy trigger pull like a DA revolver. I would say there is even more reason to carry a small pistol like a P3AT in condition 1, it will be much more difficult to grab and rack the slide of a very small pistol than a full size under stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalbobby View Post
no round chambered. If you are carrying holstered and getting into situations to have to send lead down range without chambering, is typically LEO or military. Having a loaded weapon, mentally should have situational awareness and scan to get focused.

Some states will see having a chambered round negatively at the same time seeing that you chambered a round also negative. its all opinions and personal preference, but for testosterone fueled beings, best idea is to keep it not chambered. It gives all of you another chance to think what you are doing before chambering, changing selector switch and pulling the trigger.
Completely disagree. No matter how aware I am there is still the chance that I can be caught off guard and not have time to chamber a round. Or, I might not have the ability to use my off-hand due to either injury or already being in physical contact with the threat.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #632
signalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
Completely disagree. No matter how aware I am there is still the chance that I can be caught off guard and not have time to chamber a round.
This is reality and this is life. You will NEVER always be prepared. I agree anyone can be caught off guard and could be in a situation where you needed that split second to chamber a round. Firing a round at an assailant is the LAST decision in a self-defense you want to do .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
Or, I might not have the ability to use my off-hand due to either injury or already being in physical contact with the threat.
If you get yourself into a hand to hand, either of you can gain control of the firearm and unload the round. Better to know if the assailant grabs the weapon and knows not that it is not chambered.

Been through 2 different advanced CCW classes, they can only offer best educated advice which I got mixed replies. There is no solid answer to anything.

On base, our unit did not chamber a round other than during movement, again which is situational.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #633
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalbobby View Post
Firing a round at an assailant is the LAST decision in a self-defense you want to do .
What do you mean by that?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #634
maju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Retired
maju's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
What do you mean by that?
I think he means...

1. If it was just a simple assault you have drastically changed the game.

2. Weather you kill the person or not you will be treated as a criminal. maybe just a few hours or maybe a few years.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #635
If you can't duct it...Fuck it!
Traviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Traviste's Tacoma Gallery
Always carry one in the pipe ready to fire
Either glock 23 .40 with ranger to ammo
Glock 30 .45 with ranger t ammo
Or sw air weight .38 (revolver)
Old 01-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by maju View Post
I think he means...

1. If it was just a simple assault you have drastically changed the game.

2. Weather you kill the person or not you will be treated as a criminal. maybe just a few hours or maybe a few years.
There's a crap ton of red tape state by state, then media etc. You let it off and become GZ.

Having it chambered mentally makes it one step closer to pulling the trigger because it has enabled you to take that step.

It should be the LAST resort when you have exhausted everything else.

Again this is my personal opinion and experience.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
crazy talk

you pull your gun out, and then need time to think about what your doing.. .. then you are doing it wrong.
with this logic, you are saying you would use the unloaded gun as a deterrent.. very dangerouse imo
If LEO keeps making mistakes in these situations, imagine what kind of fire civilians would be in. You don't have the backing of the governing body you enforce.

Just recently, Pinal County Sheriff shoots unarmed man.
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/val...heriffs_de.php

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...line-prog.html
Officer Richard Chrisman
Old 01-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #638
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
crazy talk

you pull your gun out, and then need time to think about what your doing.. .. then you are doing it wrong.
Yea. If you're pulling out your gun, it's probably b/c you need to use it. Time wasted messing around with getting it ready is easily enough time for an attacker with a weapon to get the first hit in. Maybe you'll be lucky and just have damage to your non-firing side and be able to get away to get a round in the chamber and get a shot off before he's on you again.
When you have a dude jump you, good luck pulling your gun out and loading a round while fighting him off at the same time. Maybe you're lucky and have three arms. I only have two, and I know I'll need at least one to hold back an attacker and at least one to draw and shoot.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #639
If you can't duct it...Fuck it!
Traviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Traviste's Tacoma Gallery
Also no matter how calm and cool you will think you will be. Adrenaline will be flowing and adding an extra step to save you life is one more thing you can screw up.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traviste View Post
Also no matter how calm and cool you will think you will be. Adrenaline will be flowing and adding an extra step to save you life is one more thing you can screw up.
Yep, especially if the attacker has the element of surprise.

I think people either underestimate the time it takes for someone to close a gap of 20-40ft, or are overestimating their ability to draw, chamber, aim, and shoot under stressful circumstances.