Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Carry with a chambered round???

View Poll Results: do you keep a round chambered when you carry?
Yes - keep one chambered 674 84.04%
No - i don't (post your reasoning) 128 15.96%
Voters: 802. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #741
Social Critic
DeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 23rd Infantry Division
Name: Steve
DeltaSteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Think of the children...
Why would you want to shoot children
Old 07-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #742
SGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cap
SGTCap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
There are techniques to accomplish this. It takes something called "training" to learn them.

If you're trained properly there is no reason to walk around with an unloaded gun. A pistol with nothing chambered is a really expensive rock.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #743
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTCap View Post
If you're trained properly there is no reason to walk around with an unloaded gun. A pistol with nothing chambered is a really expensive rock.
Being able to rack a slide with one hand may be a crucial element in staying alive when one hand is incapacitated or injured. There is lots of history where those that were not able to reload when injured died. I suggest you practice it with an unloaded pistol.

Regarding carrying a round in the chamber, many agencies prohibit it. That is, of course, is a professional response to the question based on actual street experience.

As for me, I choose to not carry a round in the chamber which has been my practice for over 40 years now. While there is a lot of talk in computer forums about out drawing an assailant actual occasions where there isn't time to charge your weapon are very few and far between.

YMMV
Old 07-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #744
SGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGTCap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SGTCap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Being able to rack a slide with one hand may be a crucial element in staying alive when one hand is incapacitated or injured. There is lots of history where those that were not able to reload when injured died. I suggest you practice it with an unloaded pistol.

Regarding carrying a round in the chamber, many agencies prohibit it. That is, of course, is a professional response to the question based on actual street experience.

As for me, I choose to not carry a round in the chamber which has been my practice for over 40 years now. While there is a lot of talk in computer forums about out drawing an assailant actual occasions where there isn't time to charge your weapon are very few and far between.

YMMV
And why would an agency require it's people to keep their weapons unchambered?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #745
Mall crawling like a boss
Twinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Infantry 3/3 I. CO.
Name: Chris
Twinkie0311's Tacoma Gallery
^^^that's what I'm wondering...Where I'm from every agency carries chambered. why wouldn't they. but who knows I guess
Old 07-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #746
كافر‎
kenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Kenneth
kenneth.morris07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie0311 View Post
^^^that's what I'm wondering...Where I'm from every agency carries chambered. why wouldn't they. but who knows I guess
Never heard of any angency carrying without a round chambered. If you can't trust your officers with a round chambered then they shouldn't be officers...
Old 07-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #747

SGTCap's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly
Old 07-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #748
Twinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.morris07 View Post
Never heard of any angency carrying without a round chambered. If you can't trust your officers with a round chambered then they shouldn't be officers...
Hit it right on the dot
Old 07-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #749
dirty Nissan driver
gravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
gravedgr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Regarding carrying a round in the chamber, many agencies prohibit it.

Please name one.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #750
Yotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connal
Yotabilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedgr View Post
Please name one.
Mayberry PD
Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #751
كافر‎
kenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotabilly View Post
Mayberry PD
Well played sir!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #752
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Truth!!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #753
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedgr View Post
Please name one.

US Military Police.

Non-uniformed LAPD officers (such as detectives) not actively involved in an entry or apprehension.

Here is an interesting article on the subject:

http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.c...ry-or-why.html

It's the way I was trained. I practice charging the weapon as I draw each and every time I am at the range so that it is second nature to me and works even with an adrenaline rush.

As for force on force: If someone is too close for me to rack the slide he will give me adequate time and space after he gets slammed between the eyes with the barrel. I invite anyone to try this with me. We will, of course, go through the drill with unloaded weapons. Your medical expense will be your responsibility.

I respect the decision any person makes on this issue without deriding him or treating him as an idiot. That's called respect for others. Maybe some of you should try it.

YMMV
Old 07-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #754

SGTCap's Tacoma Gallery
Irony is justifying poor technique, brought about by a lack of training and competency, with training and technique. If you applied this much effort to trigger discipline during the draw you could actually trust yourself and these officers with loaded weapons.

Your list doesn't surprise me though.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #755

To each their own I guess. For me it's just too hard to understand not to have one in the chamber, but that's just from me being a Marine Rifleman and being in down and dirty. I feel more comfortable that way...

but like I said to each their own.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #756

JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie0311 View Post
... but that's just from me being a Marine Rifleman and being in down and dirty.
Why aren't Marines allowed to carry a round in the chamber in Afghanistan?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #757

JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Irony is justifying poor technique, brought about by a lack of training and competency, with training and technique. If you applied this much effort to trigger discipline during the draw you could actually trust yourself and these officers with loaded weapons.

Your list doesn't surprise me though.
I shoot approximately 200 (pistol) rounds per week, each and every week, and have for many years. I train with local law enforcement on a regular basis and have been paid to be on the opposition force against National Guard troops in Florida training environments because of my skills in the woods and with weapons. We have the longest outdoor range (1,200 yards) in South Florida at the local gun club and I shoot against many of the best in the area.

Just because I do not agree with you does not mean I am not trained or have any experience. It just means I do not agree with you.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #758
كافر‎

Marines:
Marines do carry a round in the chamber when you're out on a mission or standing post. You don't just walk around condition one all the time. Contrary to popular belief, you're not in constant danger in Afghanistan.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #759
CelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
..Well, if you were to conceal a weapon unloaded.. That'd kinda be like carrying a squirt gun around lol.
Yes, for sure pack a clip!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #760
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.morris07 View Post
Marines do carry a round in the chamber when you're out on a mission or standing post. You don't just walk around condition one all the time. Contrary to popular belief, you're not in constant danger in Afghanistan.
It is more dangerous to load and clear a pistol daily than it is to leave it loaded and in the holster.

SOPs are quite often based on the lowest common denominator, working with very little and poor training, and managed by desk jockies who are ignorant of the subject that they write regulations for.