Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Carry with a chambered round???

View Poll Results: do you keep a round chambered when you carry?
Yes - keep one chambered 666 83.98%
No - i don't (post your reasoning) 127 16.02%
Voters: 793. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2014, 12:32 AM   #741
Wannabe
ArmyofMike is a splendid one to beholdArmyofMike is a splendid one to beholdArmyofMike is a splendid one to beholdArmyofMike is a splendid one to beholdArmyofMike is a splendid one to beholdArmyofMike is a splendid one to beholdArmyofMike is a splendid one to behold
ArmyofMike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
There's a reason I replaced the FLGR on my 1911 with a GI rod and plug.

It can be racked on the edge of a table, brick, or heel of a dress shoe or boot

The Glock and XD? Can be done, but you need to use the front sight, so now the fixed object has to have a solid and sharp edge to hook on.
Do you practice racking your 1911 slide in THAT manner at the range or a shooting area? Such as on the range table, a boot/shoe or post?? My guess is no...but I could be wrong.

Trying to rack a round doing this is harder than on might imagine or seen in a movie. AND the likelihood of a failure to load, or worse off for a plasti-gun having a negligent discharge are greater.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:45 AM   #742
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofMike View Post
Do you practice racking your 1911 slide in THAT manner at the range or a shooting area? Such as on the range table, a boot/shoe or post?? My guess is no...but I could be wrong.

Trying to rack a round doing this is harder than on might imagine or seen in a movie. AND the likelihood of a failure to load, or worse off for a plasti-gun having a negligent discharge are greater.
I've done it a few times, don't do it regularly, but then again, every gun in my home except for the ARs is loaded and chambered at all times.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:49 AM   #743
Wannabe
ArmyofMike is a splendid one to beholdArmyofMike is a splendid one to beholdArmyofMike is a splendid one to beholdArmyofMike is a splendid one to beholdArmyofMike is a splendid one to beholdArmyofMike is a splendid one to beholdArmyofMike is a splendid one to behold
ArmyofMike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've done it a few times, don't do it regularly, but then again, every gun in my home except for the ARs is loaded and chambered at all times.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #744
Licoln Burrows is on a distinguished road

Licoln Burrows's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There's a reason I replaced the FLGR on my 1911 with a GI rod and plug.

It can be racked on the edge of a table, brick, or heel of a dress shoe or boot

The Glock and XD? Can be done, but you need to use the front sight, so now the fixed object has to have a solid and sharp edge to hook on.
I have never heard of anyone using the front sight as a leverage point for single hand manipulation.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #745
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I can rack my G19 by the rear sight. The sights aren't stock plastic ones though.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #746
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licoln Burrows View Post
I have never heard of anyone using the front sight as a leverage point for single hand manipulation.
You do what you have to do.
It works, but there's a risk of damaging the sight, especially the stock Glock site.

But when shit hits the fan, having a functional gun is more important than having a front sight.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #747

Quote:
You do what you have to do.
It works, but there's a risk of damaging the sight, especially the stock Glock site.

But when shit hits the fan, having a functional gun is more important than having a front sight.

I have always trained (and those around me) to use the rear sight as the leverage point was why I inquired. I have steel suppressor sights so never been concerned with breaking when I've practiced doing it.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #748
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licoln Burrows View Post
I have always trained (and those around me) to use the rear sight as the leverage point was why I inquired. I have steel suppressor sights so never been concerned with breaking when I've practiced doing it.
metal sights do break. this broke in half while shooting.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #749

Carry with a chambered round???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
metal sights do break. this broke in half while shooting.
[IMG]http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/liveCX9qMY.jpg[IMG]

While I realize nothing is infallible I meant regarding the steel over the stock plastic. I have more faith the steel will outlast the stock pieces and that's part of the reason I switched.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:04 AM   #750
tacoglock19 is on a distinguished road

tacoglock19's Tacoma Gallery
I carry my Glock(s) locked and loaded. I use a MIC holster. It does not allow the trigger to be engaged until you have pulled it to nearly a 45 degree angle away from your body. At that point the cover snaps off of the trigger guard. It is nearly impossible to AD/ND the gun when drawing while using this holster. I love it. It is compact and ONLY covers the trigger and guard. It takes a little practice to learn the pull that makes it snap off but once you get it you will be a self defense machine.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:05 AM   #751
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2k2 View Post
SO I know this questions been beaten to death on other gun only sites, but I wanted to see what my tacomaworld brethren do.

Just got my ccw.

Bought a Kahr cm40 to carry. Great gun. No mechanical safety - doesn't really bother me.

I am wondering, for those of you that carry - do you keep a round chambered while you carry?

do you keep a round chambered while you carry?

I've read people say things like "if you don't have one chambered you might as well have a paper weight in your pocket" ect... but I just want to know what you guys thoughts are.
Yes. If you carry for self defense. You don't have time for chambering a round. I have train by one of the best Firearms Consultant and Trainer there is. Jim Cirillo you find lots of web sites on him. He had more real shoot out's and kill's as a police officer. We work out sometimes two days a week together for years. I Miss not having him around anymore.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #752
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPROMAN View Post
Yes. If you carry for self defense. You don't have time for chambering a round. I have train by one of the best Firearms Consultant and Trainer there is. Jim Cirillo you find lots of web sites on him. He had more real shoot out's and kill's as a police officer. We work out sometimes two days a week together for years. I Miss not having him around anymore.
Police Officer, NYPD, for 23 years. Retired.
•Served in the Stakeout Squad with the NYPD from 1967 until 1973.
•From 1976 until 1981 was the Chief Firearms Trainer with the U.S. Customs Department, Region II.
•From 1981 until 1991 was one of the Lead Firearm Instructors for the U.S.
•Treasury Department at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.
•Jim won numerous awards from the U.S. Department of the Treasury concerning firearm course design and training for Treasury Agents. His firearm techniques and courses have been adopted across the nation.
•Nominated as one of the Top 10 Handgunners in the United States.
•Recipient of the NYPD Honor of Legion Award, which is bestowed on a NY Police Officer for having been in one or more gunfights. Jim had many such commendations.
•Awarded the Queens County, New York, District Attorney's Award for Outstanding Heroism.
•Four time State Champion in Police Combat Shooting.
•Served on the Emergency Service Unit of the NYPD while also serving on the elite NYPD Stakeout Squad.
•Holds several U.S. Patents regarding Police and Firearms related equipment.
•Co-holder of the National Record for Pistol Shooting at 25 yards.
•Winner of the NRA Distinguished Police Combat Medal, number 11.
•Author of many articles concerning firearms and survival combat shooting, as well as having had many such articles written about him and his unique combat shooting style.
•Videos: Jim Cirillo - "Modern Day Gunfighter." "Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights."
•Won the President's Medal for Police Combat Shooting.
•One of the contributors to the Police Text Book entitled SEARCH FOR AN EFFECTIVE POLICE HANDGUN, by Professor Allen Bristow.
•Author of GUNS, BULLETS, AND GUNFIGHTS published by Paladin Press.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #753
telejojo is on a distinguished road

Name: Skip
telejojo's Tacoma Gallery
I carry a revolver and loaded and I know it will shoot.I love auto's but I don't want to wonder if there is one in the chamber or jamming in a life or death situation.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #754
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
If you keep one in the chamber you don't have to worry about whether or not there is one. I don't worry about the ground being there because it always is

FWIW I've had *maybe* 3 ftf in a billion or so rounds of training, all cleared in a fraction of a second. I've had exactly 1 failure in a revolver, maybe 1000 rounds of wheelgun time. It took 2 weeks and some tools to fix No tool is 100% perfect.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #755
dirty Nissan driver
gravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
gravedgr's Tacoma Gallery
Unloaded gun = tactical hammer (and not a very good one)
Old 07-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #756
كافر‎
kenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Kenneth
kenneth.morris07's Tacoma Gallery
If your gun's not loaded then you're just as safe carrying a pocket full of rocks to throw at bad guys.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #757

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.morris07 View Post
If your gun's not loaded then you're just as safe carrying a pocket full of rocks to throw at bad guys.
You'd be safer carrying the rocks.

The bad guys can't steal your rocks, load them, and shoot you with them.
They can only throw them back.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #758
JWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JWC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
If you keep one in the chamber you don't have to worry about whether or not there is one. I don't worry about the ground being there because it always is

FWIW I've had *maybe* 3 ftf in a billion or so rounds of training, all cleared in a fraction of a second. I've had exactly 1 failure in a revolver, maybe 1000 rounds of wheelgun time. It took 2 weeks and some tools to fix No tool is 100% perfect.
Uhh, even if you could manage to fire one round per second during your training - it would take about 32 years to fire a billion rounds. No eating, no sleeping, just constant firing at a rate of 1 round per second for just under 32 years.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #759
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
We all have our hobbies capt obvious

I'm years beyond being able to start counting each trigger pull, I figure a 'billion' in this context is an obvious exaggeration specifically for that point. I guess I can edit it to 'bajillion' which I use quite often since it's another obvious thing. Or 'brazillian' since it's the punchline to my favorite bush jr joke.

So thinking back, I went through a full case of .40 in 10 days at the academy. I did it again 9 months later, also at the academy (moved and switched depts, not remedial training). After that I ran through an average 1k rounds per month per pistol (I used 2 duty pistols both glocks), plus shotgun (not a fan so nowhere as many), plus beanbags, plus thousands through an AR15 (I was one of a handful that was ok'd for a rifle) for about a decade. Plus casual shooting, off duty practice, hobbies, prairie dogs and big game hunting for the last 15-20 years. I bought my first pistol at 20 just for the job and could only hit the broadside of a barn if I was standing inside. Within a couple years carried an 'expert' rating. Now I'm old and that makes me sad. But a bajillion sounds about right
Old 07-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #760
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You'd be safer carrying the rocks.

The bad guys can't steal your rocks, load them, and shoot you with them.
They can only throw them back.
Or they hold them in their hand and bash your skull in.