1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carry with a chambered round???

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by cgs2k2, Feb 22, 2013.

?

do you keep a round chambered when you carry?

1. Yes - keep one chambered

717 vote(s)
    84.1%
  2. No - i don't (post your reasoning)

136 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. Feb 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed

Yes I have, imagining all the things that can go wrong during a conflict, I prefer to remove one more variable...and I don't back carry.

2. Feb 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    SLACK3R

SLACK3R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 dc trd or
    5100 front/rear, OME 885's, diff/carrier drop, 13/10mm spacers, Wheelers 2" AAL, LED map and dome lenses Bed mat MORE TO COME
    x2 well said.
    take the extra steps out (ie wasted movement) and you become faster but you need to practice. just carrying it doesnt make you good
    may I suggest learning to draw, fire 2/3 rounds, access, reholster. you can do this in the house unloaded of coarse aim at light switches the people on the T.V. when nobodys home.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  3. Feb 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    WTF with a slight bit of derp.

I'm sorry, but that does not sound smart at all. In any way.

4. Feb 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I do this...the aim at light switches and TV people.

Aiming at a light switch with your eyes closed, while visualizing the front sights and aim point decreases the time from draw to target acquisition.

5. Feb 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    SLACK3R

SLACK3R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 dc trd or
    5100 front/rear, OME 885's, diff/carrier drop, 13/10mm spacers, Wheelers 2" AAL, LED map and dome lenses Bed mat MORE TO COME

cycling your slide off of your body should be reserved for when the other hand is hurt.

6. Feb 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    I always carry with one in the chamber with the hammer NOT cocked, my EDC weapon is a Beretta PX4 which is SA/DA. So while it is fully loaded with one in the chamber the first trigger pull is DA.

7. Feb 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    Sullyman

Sullyman Crusty ole' conservative fart

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia area
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Cat-back exhaust, BluLogic, Back-up Camera, Extang Solid Fold Tonnau cover, Pop-n-Lock PL8521 electronic tailgate lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Smittybuilt Nerf Step Bars, Toyota bed mat, Tinted the windows darker, CB with custom fab'd antenna mount, Grillcraft grill, AFE Pro Dry S filter with secondary filter removed. Differential breather relocation mod. Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo 3 tires Weathertech mats Spec-D HID Halo's Bilstein 5100s front set at 2.5" w/OEM springs 4-leaf TSB w/ SkyJacker add-a-leaf 2" block lift 1.5" wheel spacers Freedom Off-Road upper control arms .5" coil spacers ATOTO A6 Android double-din head unit
    Call it what you like but it's just another contingency practice...just like off handed shooting or any other form of single handed operation...(remember the famous FBI shoot-out ont he indian reservation where these concepts emerged as lessons learned that, if taught prior might have made a difference in the outcome?) and if you don't practice it, it's not a practice...

In my risk analysis, I've decided that the odds of me being in a situation where that second counts are less than the odds of an accidental discharge from carrying hot...

Different strokes for different folks... ;-)

8. Feb 22, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    As mentioned above, the only time I will cycle a weapon off clothes or body is when I am hurt and cannot cycle with my hands.

I have practiced drawing with my left hand (I'm right handed), cycling with clothes or on belt, malfunction drills with the off hand and one handed etc.

I'll keep my gun loaded at all times, one in the chamber, max capacity in the mag.

9. Feb 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    Sullyman

Sullyman Crusty ole' conservative fart

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia area
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Cat-back exhaust, BluLogic, Back-up Camera, Extang Solid Fold Tonnau cover, Pop-n-Lock PL8521 electronic tailgate lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Smittybuilt Nerf Step Bars, Toyota bed mat, Tinted the windows darker, CB with custom fab'd antenna mount, Grillcraft grill, AFE Pro Dry S filter with secondary filter removed. Differential breather relocation mod. Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo 3 tires Weathertech mats Spec-D HID Halo's Bilstein 5100s front set at 2.5" w/OEM springs 4-leaf TSB w/ SkyJacker add-a-leaf 2" block lift 1.5" wheel spacers Freedom Off-Road upper control arms .5" coil spacers ATOTO A6 Android double-din head unit

If I were LEA dealing with dirtbags on a daily basis my risk assesment would most likely cause me to swing the other way...but I'm just an old tired retired zoomie ;-)

:homer:

10. Feb 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Most AD's and all ND's can be prevented, and I don't mean by carrying an empty chambered weapon. Watch what you wear, watch where your holster is, practice drawing and reholstering, train RIGHT! Finger off the finger until the decision shoot is made.

I cannot advocate enough to carry prepared, your life depends on it. Maybe I just have a biased view from the LEO stand point, but mindset, training and preparedness are all necessary in a fight for your life.

11. Feb 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    I fully agree you are carrying a weapon and you should practice and be ready. If you do not continually train you are more likely to hurt some innocent person.

12. Feb 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    Zombie

Zombie I miss my Taco

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 double cab (Sold)
    Same here. Why risk having to chamber one when the time comes?

13. Feb 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    Everyone I've taken a class from preaches dry fire drills.....

14. Feb 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    WillT

WillT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '21 Colorado ZR2 Bison
    Not chambered. Reasoning is that it all comes down to practice. My clothing is not always the same: shirts of different length, jacket/no jacket. That stuff is going to get in the way and cost me more time than racking the slide.

Here's an interesting article with some very good points regarding condition 3 carry.
    http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.com/2010/09/myths-of-israeli-method-of-carry-or-why.html

To each their own. Just be consistent, and PRACTICE so when the stress of the situation hits, your muscles will know what to do without your brain getting in the way.

15. Feb 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    If the person going into the courthouse is on business, such as court testimony etc, and he is an LEO and carrying for LEO purposes, he shouldn't have to unload and reload.

I guess my training and mindset lends to the "I am in a gunfight right now" situation because if a gang banger or other unruly citizen draws a gun, its a gun fight, from all angles, and its happening, right now.

16. Feb 22, 2013 at 8:53 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    First I live in Kalifirnia. you're not allowed to have a chambered round at a gun range, there is no "carry" in this left handed commie state.

No really, if I had a carry permit I would carry a double action only with one in the chamber. I would not feel comfortable carrying a 1911 in condition 1 though.

17. Feb 22, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    IGO4LOW

IGO4LOW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fullerton, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4 w/ JBL Audio
    3" Procomp lift, 285/70 R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Procomp series 6005 wheels, Fog lights on Anytime mod, illuminated oem fog switch, bed mat, all weather floormats, CB Radio in dash, alternating turn signal mod, automatic center console light. Blacked out badges, D2s in the grille.
    I carry my sig P220 cambered/hammer down with the magazine filled. 7+1. The same goes for thr secondary weapon that I wear on my vest.
    In my line of work (Armored Transport) situations that call for deadly force are going to happen up close and personal and I do not want any more steps between drawing and firing.

18. Feb 22, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    JayDawg

JayDawg Christian Pastor. Need prayer,have questions? Ask

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Sterling, Co. via San Diego, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab TRD Off Road Package
    4-PIAA 80 Racing Series Off Road Lights, Randy Ellis Design Light Bar, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Rear Leaf TSB, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock wheels, fog light mod, more to come...
    On all of my firearms, I keep a round chambered, drop the magazine and top it off with another round. In fact, that is what bugs me most at work when I carry there. I have that firearm loaded with a round chambered as well but because I work for the State, they only give us 15 rounds for each magazine we carry, including the one in the firearm. On my personal it's a whopping 1 extra round but I like that one extra round. Now, when I get my FN 5.7, I will be carrying 30 + 1 with 2 more additional 30 round magazines.

19. Feb 22, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This.

The commend above about the jacket drawstring knob causing the discharge is a perfect example.

Drawing is potentially something that needs to be done very quickly.
    Holstering is not.
    That was simple carelessness.

Personally, other than the SA .22lr revolver, all of my handguns are fully loaded and chambered at all times unless they are being transported or carried where it is not legal to transport or carry loaded.

20. Feb 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM
    Aerial Tacoma

Aerial Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    Kodiak Ak
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road Access Cab
    TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Catback, Original HomerTaco Raptor Grill, TRD Trail Teams "Black", Duratrac 265/75/16, ALL PRO apex rear bumper, Retrofits W/ BHLM halos and deamon eyes
    My sig has no safety and I carry chambered with no worries.. If you cannot trust your firearm, and are not comfortable carrying it chambered you prob should not carry.. Just my .02

Products Discussed in

To Top