Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Carry with a chambered round???

View Poll Results: do you keep a round chambered when you carry?
Yes - keep one chambered 670 83.96%
No - i don't (post your reasoning) 128 16.04%
Voters: 798. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Carry with a chambered round???

SO I know this questions been beaten to death on other gun only sites, but I wanted to see what my tacomaworld brethren do.

Just got my ccw.

Bought a Kahr cm40 to carry. Great gun. No mechanical safety - doesn't really bother me.

I am wondering, for those of you that carry - do you keep a round chambered while you carry?

I've read people say things like "if you don't have one chambered you might as well have a paper weight in your pocket" ect... but I just want to know what you guys thoughts are.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Lock n load and might as well be ready to go!!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Resident Lurker
JEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JEP's Tacoma Gallery
Sometimes yes sometimes no, depends on the firearm, the way it is carried, and the holster.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
i don't carry yet but when i can, i'll carry chambered, i'll be carrying a gun that can be decocked (ruger p95 or sig SP2022)
Old 02-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
I carry a 1911 so there is always one in the chamber, it makes no sense to me not have the weapon you carry not loaded just my .02
Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Think of the children...
Old 02-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Seriously though, loaded.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Dunno why and if anyone wouldn't carry one in the chamber...

"Hold on you bastard, let me load my gun.."
Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
taco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A gun not loaded is no good to me. That couple seconds it takes to chamber a round may be the difference between life and death.. Just My Opinion...
Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
My main carry is a revolver, so technically I keep one in each of 5 chambers. My backup off body is a glock. I honestly don't usually keep one chambered in the glock. If I can get to the gun, I have time to rack it. Can't bring myself to do it with the Glock, but if I was carrying a Kahr or something else with a revolver-type trigger, I would be more comfy with it.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Dunno why and if anyone wouldn't carry one in the chamber...

"Hold on you bastard, let me load my gun.."
^This
Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Why carry a gun if its not loaded and ready to go? None of my guns that I carry even have a safety and all are always chambered. I want to be able to put a round where I want it as fast as possible.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I see 2 "no's" but no response
Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I see 2 "no's" but no response
Common sense is very uncommon those 2 are no exception.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the responses! For what it's worth, I'll probably carry with one chambered.

But I do have to respond to people who say carrying without one chambered is useless... It is a gun! It's not useless just because you can't pull it out and shoot right away. It takes a second or less to rack it. I do understand that when shit hits the fan that one second can be key, but seriously, if you've got a gun on you you're better off than somebody who doesn't - chambered or not. Just my 2 cents. Keep the opinions coming!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #17

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
I will say, when I first started carrying the first bunch of times I did it I carried without one in the chamber until I got the firearm in a comfortable position, and until i felt comfortable doing it.

Otherwise, now it's ready to rock and roll.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
I will say, when I first started carrying the first bunch of times I did it I carried without one in the chamber until I got the firearm in a comfortable position, and until i felt comfortable doing it.

Otherwise, now it's ready to rock and roll.
this sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
Aim small, miss small.
WhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant futureWhiteStorm has a brilliant future

Army:
WhiteStorm's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I don't carry one chambered. I have a S&W M&P, so no safety selector switch. I'm okay with carrying a chambered weapon when two things have to happen to fire, but I'm not comfortable enough when all it takes is something getting caught in the trigger well at the right angle. I do know that the trigger safety works well, but I train enough with my weapon that chambering a round is a quick, reflexive action.

My view is that if I don't have the 1-2 seconds it takes to rack the slide back as I draw, I probably don't have enough time to actually acquire a target and be effective. I just would rather not have some fluke happen while drawing the weapon (Whether taking in and out or actually drawing to fire) and fire one into my thigh. Personal opinion though. Whatever you decide, train with it.