LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

First handgun - Walther PPX?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Being relatively to in the handgun world what she said she didn't like was it didn't feel natural in her hand when lining the sights up. Caused a weird angle in her wrist? Could that be the grip angle? I noticed it but it didn't bother me too much.
She may just need to practice with a couple and see what fits her the best. Maybe she just needs to get used to it. I am assuming she is new to shooting?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
If she has small hands and doesn't like compacts, she wouldn't like the 229. I love it cuz the grip angle is perfect and it has a fat handle and I have big hands that feel at home gripping fat things...

Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #23
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rardigo View Post
She may just need to practice with a couple and see what fits her the best. Maybe she just needs to get used to it. I am assuming she is new to shooting?
Pistols yes, she grew up hunting/shooting 20's, 12's and a few misc. rifles.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #24
00PreRunner is on a distinguished road
00PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
For the money, you can't beat a Glock. I picked up a Gen 3 Glock 23, the compact .40, for $500 a few months back. Its one of my favorite handguns and I've shot a lot. Only gun I'd choose over a Glock would be a Sig but they tend to run a lot higher than $500. Any of the guns you listed would be fine. Just wanted to throw in my two cents.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
Name: Jesse
CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Did you try the Springfield Armory XD 9mm service model (4in barrel)? Just tossing that out there as it sits in your price range.

I have one, but I just don't like the feel of it. I am suggesting you try it even though I do not like it as I believe that handgun fit can be based on the individual, like gloves if you will. You can train to use one better, as with most things, but some just work better from the start.

I personally like the Beretta M9 for a 9mm. It is a full size handgun and sits above your price range. I'd suggest you try it if you have the opportunity.

My personal favorite is a 1911 (wrong caliber and prolly outside of your price range). I was taught to shoot hanguns with one and used them as issued weapons in the military. They just "Fit" my hand well. Just saying try one if you get the chance

Just a personal note for you having the unloaded shotgun under your bed, and shells somewere else stored unlocked. At 10, I pretty much knew all the places in the house Christmas presents were hidden (even at my grandma's house), knew where the shotgun was hiding in the closet, knew were the shells were hiding (and could get ones from my friends that knew were there parents were hiding them in their house if I couldn't find them) and a lot of bushes, toys, birds and chickens paid the price. I consider myself lucky
Old 02-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #26
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAsh View Post
Did you try the Springfield Armory XD 9mm service model (4in barrel)? Just tossing that out there as it sits in your price range.

I have one, but I just don't like the feel of it. I am suggesting you try it even though I do not like it as I believe that handgun fit can be based on the individual, like gloves if you will. You can train to use one better, as with most things, but some just work better from the start.

I personally like the Beretta M9 for a 9mm. It is a full size handgun and sits above your price range. I'd suggest you try it if you have the opportunity.

My personal favorite is a 1911 (wrong caliber and prolly outside of your price range). I was taught to shoot hanguns with one and used them as issued weapons in the military. They just "Fit" my hand well. Just saying try one if you get the chance

Just a personal note for you having the unloaded shotgun under your bed, and shells somewere else stored unlocked. At 10, I pretty much knew all the places in the house Christmas presents were hidden (even at my grandma's house), knew where the shotgun was hiding in the closet, knew were the shells were hiding (and could get ones from my friends that knew were there parents were hiding them in their house if I couldn't find them) and a lot of bushes, toys, birds and chickens paid the price. I consider myself lucky
I do want to try the Springfield, heard good things. And yea, I'm with you on the kids. At 4 and 2, they couldn't load it if they tried and I showed them. But they're not far away at all, that's why I'm going pistol and locking it up. The shotgun will move into a locker/storage of sorts. I saw one at Cabelas for $129.00ish.

Cheap and not a safe by any means but effective for kids:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104367780
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #27
JWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JWC's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever get a chance to look at the Sig SP2022? I've got one in 9mm that I use primarily for home defense. You should be able to get one for less than $500 right now - barely. It is a great gun. It doesn't have a mechanical safety - but it does have a decocking lever and it is DA/SA - meaning if you keep a round in the chamber and hammer decocked it has a double action trigger pull on the first shot - follow up shots are single action. The DA trigger pull is long and about 10 lbs - so you won't pull the trigger unless you mean too - single action trigger pull is ~4.5 lbs. I also keep my SP2022 in a quick access gun safe. If I have to get it in a hurry I'm ready to go as soon as I pull it out of the safe - no fumbling with a mechanical safety or racking the slide to chamber a round - grab it, aim, shoot. (Hope I never have to.)
Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #28
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Being relatively to in the handgun world what she said she didn't like was it didn't feel natural in her hand when lining the sights up. Caused a weird angle in her wrist? Could that be the grip angle? I noticed it but it didn't bother me too much.
yeah, there's 2 basic grip angles, american (1911, M&P, p95,sr9, ect), then there's the european grip angle (glock,luger, and others)
the european grip angle causes your wrist to lock up better to help mitigate the recoil, american is more comfortable for most people.

you can see a difference in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
First handgun - Walther PPX?-21l2vpj.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #29
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
yeah, there's 2 basic grip angles, american (1911, M&P, p95,sr9, ect), then there's the european grip angle (glock,luger, and others)
the european grip angle causes your wrist to lock up better to help mitigate the recoil, american is more comfortable for most people.

you can see a difference in this pic.
If you look at the parallel lines between the grip axis of the slightly angled bevels and convert them using pie the angles dangle is transversed to a negative which means that they are the same.....I'm not seeing it

If it feels good and you put the hole where you want it then buy it
Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #30
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you look at the parallel lines between the grip axis of the slightly angled bevels and convert them using pie the angles dangle is transversed to a negative which means that they are the same.....I'm not seeing it

it might just be my eyes
some people say there's 7 degrees difference in the grips.
all i know is i tend to aim high with glocks.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #31
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
Name: Jesse
CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Well, aside of the math. It did make me think about the hold over vs hold under that different manufactures use for their sites
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #32

Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry fellas, I got into shit talk mode after those BS threads got posted by that new guy and it just carried over. My bad. You know, the facebook one and the peeping one. Anyhow, my only point to the OP was just shoot a bunch of diff shit and pick what works best for you and your wife.