Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

budget white tail rifles

Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 7600 in 30-06 and dropped deer in their tracks about 150yds with 180gr corlokt. On mine the magazine spring sometimes seems week and if I try to work the action slowly sometimes I can create a malfunction. Other than that it gets the job done.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #22
Christian Off Road Engineering
C O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clint
C O R E's Tacoma Gallery
Am I blind or has nobody suggested the Weatherby Vanguard?

Starting with the caliber... no brainer in my opinion - .30-06

Ammunition is readily available anywhere
There is a HUGE variety of different types for finding the right load
Easy to obtain reloading gear and supplies for DIY'ers
Proven round that has stood the test of time

I would try to stay away from oddball calibers and I am personally not a fan of the .270 considering the recoil vs. effectiveness ratio. Don't get me wrong, recoil doesnt bother me at all but I just dont see the smaller bullet being worth putting up with more recoil especially when trying to break-in or sight-in.

As for the rifle...

You can't go wrong with a Remington 700 considering everybody has one and parts are everywhere, but after having owned one and dropping about $1000 into it, then swapping it for a weatherby vanguard (same price range) and dropping money into that, I found the weatherby to be more accurate and I am definitely a fan of the bullet-proof mauser style action.

Here is a pic of my Weatherby Vanguard after putting a custom stock on it

And a pic of my Rem 700 before I sold it:
Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #23
SodakTaco will become famous soon enough
SodakTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, 30-06 is a great caliber for a first deer rifle. Plenty of ammunition available and powerful enough to take on larger game if you so choose. I use an old M1917 that was sporterized a long time ago that I picked up for $250. Guy who owned it previously took a couple moose with it. I bagged my first deer with it last year and will take another this year. If I ever decide to go try my hand at elk, I won't have any doubts about taking my old war rifle with me.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
I would suggest 762x54r. I went that round because its cheap to practice shooting with. Once I learn the fundamentals ill eventuall move into a nicer rifle
Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #25
ski-doo ride the best screw the rest!
Murph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant future

Army: 19D
Murph's Tacoma Gallery
Mossberg ATR 100 in 30-06. Super accurate & cheap. Even during this ammo crisis 30-06 is in stock everywhere I go . And it has an adjustable trigger similar to the savage accu trigger. Its adj all the way down to 2 pounds. I got my ATR for 266.00 brand new. And I've had no problem shooting sub moa at 100yds.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #26
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I bought a nice savage axis 270 last summer for just under 400 with a box of ammo and tax and whatnot. Love it. Ammo isn't too expensive and not a lot of people are fighting for it like with .223 .22 and handgun ammo.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #27
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Savage Axis in 243. Around $300. Add a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 scope and you have a great deer gun. Nikon runs rebates a few times a year. The scope will run about $130 - $140 after rebate. Good Luck
Old 04-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #29
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Just picked up a Savage Axis in .270 from cabelas for $329 on sale. Cammo stock. I think its actually and Axis XP. Cheap bushnell scope. Took 6 rounds to get it sighted in. So far i love it.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #30
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
savage axis or ruger american rifle
either is available in 308.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #31
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap:
Ruger American Rifle
Remington 770

Recommended:
Remington 700
Ruger M77

Either .270 or .30-06. Both versatile. .243 if you plan on coyote hunting as well. .30-06 is the "more" popular cartridge, but .270 is my choice. .308 is gaining in popularity too, but pricey.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #32
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
Savage is a good choice. Great out-of-the-box accuracy. I looked at the Axis a couple of years ago and decided against it because the retention spring on the magazine is plastic. Seems to me like a failure waiting to happen. The model 111 is a reasonable choice. The Remington 700, Ruger American and the Mossberg mentioned are probably good choices, too. It all depends on what you find, especially if you are looking at used rifles. As for caliber, my preference is 30-06, but the ballistics of the .308 are nearly as good.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #33
pjs42 is on a distinguished road

Army: Enginering
Name: Steve
pjs42's Tacoma Gallery
T/C Muzzleloader That's my choice
Old 04-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #34
pjs42 is on a distinguished road

Army: Enginering
Name: Steve
pjs42's Tacoma Gallery
Girlfriend + Truck = Empty wallet.