Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Handgun for CA (Ventura County) resident

Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Handgun for CA (Ventura County) resident

Hey all,

For the past year or so, I've been wanting to get my first handgun. Will be used for home defense and trips to the range for fun. Will either be an XD 4" 9mm, or Glock 19.

I am lost as far as what I need to do to legally own this gun. Can anybody give me an idea of what is neede/involved to do so?

I assume I need to get a CCW permit? Where/how do I get that?

Do I need a specific handgun license?

Any other things I am missing?

Thx.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Take the hand gun safety test at the shop and you are ready to go; a monky can pass the test. Other then that you will have to pass a background check during the purchase. CC permits are near impossible to get.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
tacosallday is on a distinguished road
Name: michael
tacosallday's Tacoma Gallery
you will also need proof of residents. like a gas bill or car registration
Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
You will have to wait ten days while the feds check that you are worthy (legally entitled) to own a gun. If you have a felony on record, are chemically dependent, or are nutso, then you are not worthy.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh, and don't put any scary looking tactical accessories on your weapon, because it may be mistaken for an assault weapon by Barbara Boxer
Old 02-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, so I need to:

- take hand gun safety course.
- when buying the gun, the gun store will do a background check (no problem for me). And that will take about 10 days or so. I will also need a gas bill or something at time of purchase to confirm residency.
- just to clarify, I do not need a CCW permit? I don't plan on carrying the gun except for going to the range, and it will be in a locked case in the back seat of the Taco when that happens.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
Check also if you even need to take the safety course. Here in West Virginia, if you are a veteran, you don't have to take the safety course. That saves $50 here.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Ok, so I need to:

- when buying the gun, the gun store will do a background check (no problem for me). And that will take about 10 days or so. I will also need a gas bill or something at time of purchase to confirm residency.
- just to clarify, I do not need a CCW permit? I don't plan on carrying the gun except for going to the range, and it will be in a locked case in the back seat of the Taco when that happens.
CCW only required if you plan on carrying concealed. In CA it is difficult to obtain a CCW.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
tacosallday is on a distinguished road
Name: michael
tacosallday's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwilson74 View Post
Check also if you even need to take the safety course. Here in West Virginia, if you are a veteran, you don't have to take the safety course. That saves $50 here.
in california you must take the safety test and pass. its $25 here or $15 with a purchase of a firearm the same day at some locations.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i can't help w/ the california gun laws, ...but i would just say, if you are a newbie gun owner, ...take a basic handgun class, like "first shots", it's good to get a foundation for safe handling, shooting different kinds of handguns, and some legal aspects...

just remember, there are four basic rules of gun safety: always adhere to them, ...
...safety first!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
sandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sandjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Ok, so I need to:

Make sure it's unloaded and ammo is in a separate container not in reach of the driver. Better to be in a trunk.