Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

AR Style .22 Suggestions

Old 05-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #81
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LaRue Shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't read the rest of the thread, bought thought I'd drop my two cents here and suggest just buying a .22 upper. CMMG and Spikes both make nice ones, but I found the Tactical Solutions to be the most accurate of all.

Of course, if you aren't even worried about super accuracy, just go ahead and buy your .223/5.56 chambered AR and pick up a CMMG drop-in conversion bolt. It's the cheapest solution in the long run.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #82
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody have a good suggestion for a good foregrip/bipod combo?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #83
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEDEER View Post
How long is your handguard?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #84
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue Shooter View Post
Haven't read the rest of the thread, bought thought I'd drop my two cents here and suggest just buying a .22 upper. CMMG and Spikes both make nice ones, but I found the Tactical Solutions to be the most accurate of all.

Of course, if you aren't even worried about super accuracy, just go ahead and buy your .223/5.56 chambered AR and pick up a CMMG drop-in conversion bolt. It's the cheapest solution in the long run.
I would suggest that (and did), but IMHO, now is still not the right time to be buying AR parts.

2008, everything went bugnuts, and in 2009 and 2010 people got butthurt when they were sent "lowball" offers because they tried to sell their AR for double what a new one could be purchased for.
"But I've got $1,700 in this rifle and I need to make my money back!"
Shouldn't have put $1,700 into a $900 rifle
Old 05-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #85
sandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sandjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I would suggest that (and did), but IMHO, now is still not the right time to be buying AR parts.

2008, everything went bugnuts, and in 2009 and 2010 people got butthurt when they were sent "lowball" offers because they tried to sell their AR for double what a new one could be purchased for.
"But I've got $1,700 in this rifle and I need to make my money back!"
Shouldn't have put $1,700 into a $900 rifle
I agree. This time is a bit different in Komifornia with all of the bills being proposed by a state legislature with a democrat super majority and democrat governor. Prices in California will stay up for longer than the rest of the country. They're proposing that a Ruger 10/22 be considered an assault weapon.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #86
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ya... Sacramento is totally out of control.
Problem is, what they are talking about running through will be retroactive.
The old Federal bans simply prohibited the manufacture and sale of new products (under the commerce clause).
California sweeps the floor clean and imposes a window for registration.

Good and bad. Good because if I register my ARs, I can yank the bullet buttons and run 30rd mags. Bad, because of the transport and destination restrictions.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #87
Quote:
Ya... Sacramento is totally out of control.
Problem is, what they are talking about running through will be retroactive.
The old Federal bans simply prohibited the manufacture and sale of new products (under the commerce clause).
California sweeps the floor clean and imposes a window for registration.

Good and bad. Good because if I register my ARs, I can yank the bullet buttons and run 30rd mags. Bad, because of the transport and destination restrictions.
Register one and deny the existence of the rest.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #88
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Don't bother with a .22 AR... Get one in 5.56 and get a .22lr conversion bolt for cheap/fun plinking. Also wait atleast another 6 months for the hysteria to be done with.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #89
I don't know if gun prices are going to come back down much more than they have. Everyone has AR's in stock again and prices have settled down. The issue isn't guns anymore; it's ammo.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #90

Quote:
Register one and deny the existence of the rest.
That works right up until a representative from the local Sheriff's office walks the line at the range checking paperwork and the serial numbers don't match.

I don't know about Burro or Angeles, but Lytle Creek has always been a "target"... surprising because San Bernardino County is generally pretty gun-friendly and as close to "shall issue" as you can get in CA.

Edit: Searching the "memory banks", I'm pretty sure it's an officer from the Forest Service doing the line checks... and people with legal high-caps are often harassed.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEDEER View Post
I've got a Grip-Pod... I really don't care for it and it is not currently installed on anything.
I don't like a full vertical grip with the left hand... always go for a 45, so the AFG or just a plain shroud works just fine.
As a bipod, ya, it works... but I generally just rest on the Ranger floorplates on my 10/30 bodies (understood, not really an option for a .22 mag).
Old 05-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #92
Quote:
That works right up until a representative from the local Sheriff's office walks the line at the range checking paperwork and the serial numbers don't match.

I don't know about Burro or Angeles, but Lytle Creek has always been a "target"... surprising because San Bernardino County is generally pretty gun-friendly and as close to "shall issue" as you can get in CA.

Edit: Searching the "memory banks", I'm pretty sure it's an officer from the Forest Service doing the line checks... and people with legal high-caps are often harassed.
What I'm saying is of the XX lowers I may or may not own, I can only shoot one at a time. That's the one that will be registered and only used at ranges if that day ever comes. Everything else from that point on will cease to exist. My real shooting spots aren't anywhere rangers or LE would ever bother showing up.
The two ranges I go to never have LE walking the line anyway. They want to be welcome where they shoot and that won't be the case if they start harassing the customers...
Old 05-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #93

Quote:
The two ranges I go to never have LE walking the line anyway. They want to be welcome where they shoot and that won't be the case if they start harassing the customers...
I don't know what the deal is with Lytle.
My understanding is that all of the ranges are running on a lease from the Forest Service... yet Lytle claims that they MUST let the guy in because of the lease.

It could be one particular ranger with a hair up his butt and he happens to live in the area.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #94
Quote:
I don't know what the deal is with Lytle.
My understanding is that all of the ranges are running on a lease from the Forest Service... yet Lytle claims that they MUST let the guy in because of the lease.

It could be one particular ranger with a hair up his butt and he happens to live in the area.
I've heard that about them. If you ever have a chance, try to make it down here to Pala(ncsapala.com). It's quite possibly the best outdoor range in Southern Cal. Cops shoot there attitude-free, monthly 3-gun matches, separate pistol range and levergun range, and the high power range looks like a gigantic pachinko machine that goes all the way out to 900 yards or so.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #95

Quote:
levergun
You had to say that.

I've been jonesin' for a levergun for a long time. Can't decide on the caliber though.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #96
Quote:
You had to say that.

I've been jonesin' for a levergun for a long time. Can't decide on the caliber though.
I feel like a levergun should be either 45LC or 357/.38spl. to be interchangeable with your six gun!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #97

Quote:
I feel like a levergun should be either 45LC or 357/.38spl. to be interchangeable with your six gun!
Ya... I like to keep things down to a minimum of calibers, and I do have a "five-gun" in .357
Old 05-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #98
Raiden06BSP is on a distinguished road
Army: Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic
Raiden06BSP's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger SR22. Ruger 10/22 with an AR Style. Love mine.