1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which youth kit do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by mlittle, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Mar 11, 2013 at 5:31 AM
    mlittle

mlittle [OP] T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    I am currently deployed, so I have a lot of time to think of what I would like to do when I get home from deployment.

I am looking to get my kids (son 8, daughter 5) into shooting and hunting. They said that they want to try it, but I would need to get a rifle/shotgun for them. I am stationed at Fort Sill and I primarily hunt in shotgun/muzzleloader areas only, but there is a chance that I may hunt in an area that allows rifles. I had been looking at a Rossi kit (.410 GA, 20 GA, .22LR, and .243), but I heard that Thompson Center also offers a youth model kit. Does anyone have any experience with any of these kits with interchangable barrels? Also, what caliber rifle can you recommend for a first rifle for primarily deer? If I go with the Rossi, is .243 a good caliber or can you recommend something better?

2. Mar 11, 2013 at 5:52 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    the rossi kit is very nice! i have the triple threat i think. it has .22, 20G and 243.

243 is a great caliber for deer. i have shot and killed on with mine, dad had a scope put on it. Also their maybe other calibers that are better/ bigger, But i think it’s a great caliber for young kids! I have had mine fore like 5 or 6 years now i think. I use the 20G for squirrel and other small game.

FYI on the slings get one that has a quick disconnect on the front. Because where it mounts unscrews and the front grip(i’m having a brain fart i can’t think of hats it really called) it comes off. I did not have a quick connect one at first and it was a bi*ch to get the sling nice and neat when changing the barrels.

3. Mar 11, 2013 at 5:52 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    the rossi kit is very nice! i have the triple threat i think. it has .22, 20G and 243.

243 is a great caliber for deer. i have shot and killed on with mine, dad had a scope put on it. Also their maybe other calibers that are better/ bigger, But i think it’s a great caliber for young kids! I have had mine fore like 5 or 6 years now i think. I use the 20G for squirrel and other small game.

FYI on the slings get one that has a quick disconnect on the front. Because where it mounts unscrews and the front grip(i’m having a brain fart i can’t think of hats it really called) it comes off. I did not have a quick connect one at first and it was a bi*ch to get the sling nice and neat when changing the barrels.

4. Mar 11, 2013 at 6:06 AM
    C O R E

C O R E Christian Off Road Engineering

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD 4x4 5spd v6
    Line-X bedliner, bedlined toolbox, Satoshi Grille, bedlined stock old school wheels, Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS head unit, Deck plate mod, ISR mod, K&N Drop-in, Thrush muffler dumped @ rear axle, Grey wire mod, +5mph fender stripes
    If you are referring to the single-shot breakover .243 Rossi I bought one a while back and it is not even paper accurate at 100 yds... 6-10 inch group at 100. Only reason I still have it is because Academy is "all sales are final" and Rossi's customer service is kinda iffy... They claim they will look at it and see if they can fix it on my dime even though its defective from the factory.

My gunsmith buddy seems to think its the lands being set ahead of the chamber (bad headspacing) giving the projectile a small space to "jump" from the cartridge to the lands causing inconsistency. Also he agrees that the fact the lands stop 1/2" short of the crown also makes for some problems.

The .243 round itself is IMO the best youth round in existence but make sure you invest in a quality rifle. Nothing can haunt a first time hunting experience like an unethical shot due to a firearm not the shooter.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  5. Mar 11, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    mlittle

mlittle [OP] T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    Thanks for the input. Seems that I am confident on the .243 portion. Now, I have to see if I can get more feedback on the Rossi kit versus other manufacturers. Unfortunately, I am unable to effectively navigate the Thompson Center website from my work laptop, so I have to wait until I can get to my computer to check out what Thompson Center offers with their "Hot Shot" model. I have a gun shop that I frequently use back in the states, so I will give them a call to see what they recommend.

Products Discussed in

To Top