LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Rattle Snake!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen only two in my life and both were the same afternoon hiking up to Half Dome. One had his head cut off and burried in the ground. The other one was under a small ledge I was sitting on and resting only a few feet from me. I'm pretty sure they were rattle snakes as far as I can tell. I will post a photo once I get home.

Also have seen a bear that very same hike, but I seem to run into those all the time.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #23
MojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MojoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Rattlesnake story

Two guys are hiking in the scrub land, and they decide to take a break. One guy sits down on a rock ledge to rest.
He doesn't realize that there is a diamondback under the ledge, and as he is standing up, the snake strikes, and bites him in the crotch.
He's rolling around on the ground moaning and yells at his buddy " It bit me on my dick! "

Well, he's obviously in great pain, and his buddy realizes that they don't have any med kits or anything. And it's nearly 20 miles back to their truck.
So he says " hey, there was a cabin back there several mile back. Everybody says there's an old codger that lives there, maybe he'll know what to do!"

"I can't walk, man!" the victim says "It hurts too much to even stand up! You go! Hurry!"

So the guy takes off running the six miles back to the cabin. It's really hot outside, and the guy has to stop frequently to catch his breath and rest. He finally makes it back to the cabin after what seemed like hours, and finds the old man sitting on a picnic table outside the cabin, with a bottle of Beam in hand.
"Hey old timer!" he says, " My buddy's been bitten by a rattler, and he needs help!" The hiker explains where this happened, and how far he had to run back to get to the cabin.
"Have you got any meds or anti-venom, or anything that would help?"
The old guy swigs the bottle, and the hiker sees that it was the last bit of whiskey in the bottle. The old guy is obviously drunk as hell, his eyes are red and puffy, and he is swaying back and forth at the table.
"No," says the old codger. "Won't help anyway."

"What?" asks the hiker.

"From what you say, you've been gone a couple of hours, and it'll take nearly that long to get back. Yer friend ain't got but one chance now."

"What's that?" asks the hiker.

"Here, take my knife. says the codger. "You got to cut him, and suck the poison out! It's his only chance".
With that, the old guy stands up and passes out, sprawling on the dirt, unconscious.

The hiker takes the knife, and heads out back to find his ailing buddy.

Finally, after nearly another two hours he gets back, he finds his friend laying back, leaning on some rocks, looking really pale and weak. "Did you find somebody to help?" the weak hiker asks.

"Yeah," he says, " I found the old guy. He seemed to know all about snake bites."

"What did he say," the victim croaks weakly.

"Well", his buddy says, " I'm really sorry man, but he says your gonna die!"
Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #24
shreddindan is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Squad boss
Name: Dan
shreddindan's Tacoma Gallery
I was working out at Dumont Dunes and came across a 3.5 inch scorpion. He was hiding under a piece of carpet. Totally startled my buddy as he didn't know what was crawling between his feet. He was quite pissed as we took his carpet shade away (aka carpet shack). He then was running in circles trying to find shade standing in our shadows and eventually ran under our work truck.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
I've seen only two in my life and both were the same afternoon hiking up to Half Dome. One had his head cut off and burried in the ground. The other one was under a small ledge I was sitting on and resting only a few feet from me. I'm pretty sure they were rattle snakes as far as I can tell. I will post a photo once I get home.

Also have seen a bear that very same hike, but I seem to run into those all the time.
Didn't realize they were common out there. I would have spent some time flippin rocks when I was out there last year if I knew.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #26
Registered Mud Abuser
dentaco76247 is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
dentaco76247's Tacoma Gallery
South Texas

Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #27
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^

I'd have been shooting or running if I saw that sucker, probably both, and isn't a rattler that big pretty valuable?

I used to live in southwest Louisiana, I haven't had any experience with rattlers (luckily), but seen my fair share of coton mouths and copper heads.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
It's perspective. Same thing folks do when they sit behind their trophy kudu or whatever. Probably not a 5' snake even.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #29
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I see the stick now...I feel dumb lol

that would be a huge rattler if there wasnt perspective
Old 03-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #30
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Half Dome, just below the ropes.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #31
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Choot em Elizabeth!!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #32
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery

Ok, so not Texas style, but a [timber rattlesnake]. Cooper's Rock State Forest, WV.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #33
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa1066 View Post

Ok, so not Texas style, but a decent eastern diamondback. Cooper's Rock State Forest, WV.
Dude thats a timber rattler not an eastern dimondback notice no diamond pattern
Old 03-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #34
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 yotaman View Post
Dude thats a timber rattler not an eastern dimondback notice no diamond pattern
Dude your right!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #35
El' Capi-Tan
resq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to behold

EMS: Giles Rescue
Name: Josh
resq330's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
I would shit my britches.
^^^ THIS
Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #36
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
I see the stick now...I feel dumb lol

that would be a huge rattler if there wasnt perspective

How long is the pole? Unless it is 20 feet, that still looks like a mamma or daddy.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #37
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery

uh oops
Old 03-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #38
Registered Mud Abuser
dentaco76247 is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
dentaco76247's Tacoma Gallery
put this in perscective

Wild hogs eat snakes. Rattlesnakes rattle when theatened. They have begun to learn to not rattle so pigs won't hear them. Be extra careful when spending time in nature.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #39
BeEatNU is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
BeEatNU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I've seen a rattlesnake on a trail run. I heard a weird sound and what do ya know.. It was rattling at me! Pretty cool!

I think there is a "cool animals you have seen in the wild" thread
I would have been terrified lol
Old 03-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #40
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
A coupled years ago I was backpacking and found one stretched across a two track road. It had just finished a meal so he wasn't too quick to move. I properly dispatched him. I also almost got bit by one that was about 5" long. I smashed its head with a rock, then started to cut its button off, its head whipped around so fast toward my hand. I pooped a little. That was scary shit.