Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Rattle Snake!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #41
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEatNU View Post
I would have been terrified lol
Fortunately, I was in our door-less crawler on 40" tires.. I originally thought the tire was leaking air when I heard the rattle. Thank goodness I spotted it before I stepped out to look!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #42
taczilla is on a distinguished road

Name: Marc
taczilla's Tacoma Gallery
I was on a fishing trip at the mouth of the French River in Georgian Bay, Ontario. After a good piss-up around the camp fire, I woke up all hung over the next morning in my sleeping bag with something squirming around my feet. I found a 6" Massassauga rattler in my sleeping bag. We emptied the tent and found three more in the nooks and crannies, so we tossed them in the bush. That night around the campfire we heard a rattling sound at the edge of the darkness. Flashlights revealed mommy, a three footer looking for her babies, I suppose. We put her in a bag and took her across the bay in the dark, and then spooked a black bear when we got out of the boat.

I'd include a sasquatch in the story, but you probably wouldn't believe me.

Pretty cool to find rattlers up here in Canada.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #43
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentaco76247 View Post

There are no Eastern Diamondbacks in Texas. That pic has been around with stories from Miss to Louisana. It's a big snake, but it's all prospective. Here is a link talking about all the giant snake pics, and how the illusion is created.

http://www.livingalongsidewildlife.c...ttlesnake.html
Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #44
rocky8765 is on a distinguished road
Name: jay
rocky8765's Tacoma Gallery
I have a crazy story. I was doing a school field trip in the Owens Valley
(Indepedence, CA) and everyone was warned about rattle snakes and I did not want to deal with that fear while sleeping at night or at camp during the day. Thank goodness nobody got bitten while there, however we killed about 10 or so in the bushes.

Anyway, I was driving my 93 ford ranger before I got my tacoma and going about 65mph on road going to camp and all of a sudden my rpms went high as if I hit ice and it felt like I went over a bot stot. I backed up and I ran over a ratler sprawled out in the road at least 8 ft long. So I drove away and the crows and buzzards swarm down begin devouring the carcus.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #45
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
A coupled years ago I was backpacking and found one stretched across a two track road. It had just finished a meal so he wasn't too quick to move. I properly dispatched him. I also almost got bit by one that was about 5" long. I smashed its head with a rock, then started to cut its button off, its head whipped around so fast toward my hand. I pooped a little. That was scary shit.
The first thing I do with one after dispatching it is to step on the head and cut it off. That avoids your experience. BTW, I assume that, since you said it was stretched across a road, it was 5' long, not 5". That would make a great meal, cut into 3" pieces and fried.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #46
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
The first thing I do with one after dispatching it is to step on the head and cut it off. That avoids your experience. BTW, I assume that, since you said it was stretched across a road, it was 5' long, not 5". That would make a great meal, cut into 3" pieces and fried.
I should have been more clear, two different snakes. One was huge, after I shot it, we cut its head off and buried it. The other was tiny, I don't know what I was thinking, I've been around rattle snakes my entire life. I know better and I am lucky it didn't get me. We were about 2 hours from the closest medical, it wouldn't have been good.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #47
molossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud of
molossus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky8765 View Post
I have a crazy story. I was doing a school field trip in the Owens Valley
(Indepedence, CA) and everyone was warned about rattle snakes and I did not want to deal with that fear while sleeping at night or at camp during the day. Thank goodness nobody got bitten while there, however we killed about 10 or so in the bushes.

Anyway, I was driving my 93 ford ranger before I got my tacoma and going about 65mph on road going to camp and all of a sudden my rpms went high as if I hit ice and it felt like I went over a bot stot. I backed up and I ran over a ratler sprawled out in the road at least 8 ft long. So I drove away and the crows and buzzards swarm down begin devouring the carcus.
There are no rattlesnakes "at least 8' long", anywhere, especially in CA. Could it have been a gophersnake? They can reach lengths of 5-6' and are often mistaken.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #48
molossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud ofmolossus has much to be proud of
Quote:
A coupled years ago I was backpacking and found one stretched across a two track road. It had just finished a meal so he wasn't too quick to move. I properly dispatched him. I also almost got bit by one that was about 5" long. I smashed its head with a rock, then started to cut its button off, its head whipped around so fast toward my hand. I pooped a little. That was scary shit.
What would be the point of killing a snake that's out in the wild? I understand if it's in your yard or something, but out in nature, while doing an activity that revels in experiencing it? I'm not meaning to be rude; I just do not understand the mentality and am hoping I'm missing something.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #49
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by molossus View Post
What would be the point of killing a snake that's out in the wild? I understand if it's in your yard or something, but out in nature, while doing an activity that revels in experiencing it? I'm not meaning to be rude; I just do not understand the mentality and am hoping I'm missing something.
In short, there is a problem with too many snakes in the area we were in. They are causing major problems with the grouse population. Over the course of the trip i think we saw 10 or 12 snakes, and its only about 8 miles round trip.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #50
Quote:
In short, there is a problem with too many snakes in the area we were in. They are causing major problems with the grouse population. Over the course of the trip i think we saw 10 or 12 snakes, and its only about 8 miles round trip.
What part of the country is this?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #51
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by molossus View Post
What part of the country is this?
Northern Nevada. Half way between salt lake city and Reno.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #52
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Old thread, but new pics, a buddy from south Alabama. Big eastern diamondback!!!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #53
cleveland48 is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
cleveland48's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ That's a pretty bad boy there!! I have seen several dead here in MS that was around 5' little more little less. My uncle killed one 6' that he mounted over his fireplace. I have hunted and spent my whole life in the woods here and only saw two alive and I killed them. I'm 27 and only seen those two. One was average bout 3', and the other was 48" and about as big as a beer can. We mainly always see cottonmouths and copperheads here. Also my brother killed one little over 5' and noticed it had a large bulge in it. The cops stopped by in town where we were at and cut it open. It had a squirrel in it. Pretty neat experience.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland48 View Post
^^^ That's a pretty bad boy there!! I have seen several dead here in MS that was around 5' little more little less. My uncle killed one 6' that he mounted over his fireplace. I have hunted and spent my whole life in the woods here and only saw two alive and I killed them. I'm 27 and only seen those two. One was average bout 3', and the other was 48" and about as big as a beer can. We mainly always see cottonmouths and copperheads here. Also my brother killed one little over 5' and noticed it had a large bulge in it. The cops stopped by in town where we were at and cut it open. It had a squirrel in it. Pretty neat experience.
What is unfortunate is that you seem to simultaneously admire the animal and find fascination with seeing them, yet kill every one that you see. Is it any different to see one out there and just walk away from it, or do you require a trophy each time?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #55
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Found a 4' long rattler in the office of our baja shop. It took a while to realize what that sound was but when we did... I've never jumped out of a chair that fast in my life.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #56
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
I love snakes! Seen my fair share of Western Diamondbacks, Prairies, Southern Pacifics and Mohaves. The biggest one I ever saw was in southern Arizona when my dad and I came across a five-foot long Western Diamondback near Madera Canyon. Truly a beast it was.

Coolest venomous snakes I've seen are sidewinders, Black Tail Rattlesnakes (because some of them are light green in color) and Coral Snakes. Coolest non-venomous snakes I've ever seen were Mountain Kingsnakes and Desert Kingsnakes (both while in Arizona), Smooth Green Snake (in Tennessee) and Coachwhips.

I raised a Gopher Snake for about 10 years when I was younger. Awesome pet! It associated me with feeding time so every time I walked into the room it would start following me along the walls of its aquarium. Caught it in the San Gabriel Mountains in Southern California, when it was about a foot long. Eventually grew to about 4 1/2 feet before I donated it to the local community college's science department, where it still lives to this day.

Good times.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #57

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland48 View Post
Are you talking about timber rattlers (canebreaks)? There are no eastern diamondback in NE Miss. they only occur along the coastal regions if the south-eastern US.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #58
cleveland48 is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
cleveland48's Tacoma Gallery
My bad I didn't clarify I believe it is cane break rattlers her not eastern diamondbacks. A lot of rocky bluffs and terrain here where they have dens I guess. And too the guy questioning my killing of these snakes I've only killed two and in a way yes they were trophy's. the copperheads and cottonmouths are all around our house and our lake. And their are a lot if children here playing and fishing, and not worth the risk. Several copperheads are killed in my porch every year. I do not mind snakes and I respect them. But the risk of my nephew stepping if the porch and getting bit is not worth it. If it makes u feel better I do not harm non venomous snakes I've actually caught several rat and chicken snakes and released them. The worst ass whooping I ever had was because I killed a king snake when I was 10 with my 22 in the yard. Didn't know that it would kill poisonous snakes but now I do that great big boot in the crack of my ass helped me remember too
Old 11-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #59
m.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant future

Air Force:
Name: Adam
m.reed.1's Tacoma Gallery
We have eastern diamond back rattle snakes where I'm from (meridian, mississippi) which is east central mississippi. We have the Eastern Diamondback, Timber, Pigmy and the Canebrake species.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #60
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeetee View Post
I love snakes! Seen my fair share of Western and Coachwhips.
I've run across Coachwhips while playing golf in AZ. They get long and unbelievably fast, and if harassed they will chase you for short distances.