Notices

S&W or Ruger 44 magnum?

View Poll Results: Which brand!?
Smith and Wesson 31 58.49%
Ruger 22 41.51%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
ski-doo ride the best screw the rest!
Murph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant future

Army: 19D
Murph's Tacoma Gallery
S&W or Ruger 44 magnum?

I'm partial to both brands, I own a m&p pistol & the newer Ruger American bolt action rifle. I've shot both brands in question and I can't really decide. Sure is hard to beat a super red hawk tho! Opinions!?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Tacominer has a brilliant futureTacominer has a brilliant futureTacominer has a brilliant futureTacominer has a brilliant futureTacominer has a brilliant futureTacominer has a brilliant futureTacominer has a brilliant futureTacominer has a brilliant futureTacominer has a brilliant futureTacominer has a brilliant futureTacominer has a brilliant future

Name: DREW
Tacominer's Tacoma Gallery
both are great guns. IMO cant go wrong with either one. im a little more for S&W on this though
Old 03-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I like both, have both in 44

had a redhawk, have a super blackhawk and a 629

If you're shooting basic loads then either will work fine, but if you want to get into the super hot loads or anything like Buffalo Bore etc etc...most of the hot loads recommend NOT shooting it thru a smith but Rugers are usually on the list of OK guns
Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
To add...I prefer the trigger on my smith (but it's had work done) but the redhawk was not bad and not far off for a factory trigger
Old 03-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
ski-doo ride the best screw the rest!
Murph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant future

Army: 19D
Murph's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know about the hot loads. I thank you for the input. Maybe I'll save up for the Smith and Wesson performance center with a rail & red dot at the local gun shop
Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
anarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
anarion55's Tacoma Gallery
Super Redhawk FTW... I handload some fairly hot loads, and the Ruger never even notices. Extremely accurate, too.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
What's your budget?

Ruger does many things, but one thing they do very well is revolvers.
It will be a reliable and durable gun.

Personally, I like the more consistent trigger break of the S&W, but S&W comes at a premium price.

I purchased an SP101 in .357mag. To me, the nicer trigger of the Smith was not worth $200 more.

The same goes for the .44mag. My next large caliber will likely be an Alaskan, rather than the Smith 500.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacominer View Post
both are great guns. IMO cant go wrong with either one. im a little more for S&W on this though
I see you really like the 44 magnums
Old 03-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
I like both, have both in 44

had a redhawk, have a super blackhawk and a 629

If you're shooting basic loads then either will work fine, but if you want to get into the super hot loads or anything like Buffalo Bore etc etc...most of the hot loads recommend NOT shooting it thru a smith but Rugers are usually on the list of OK guns
^^ What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Good to know about the hot loads. I thank you for the input. Maybe I'll save up for the Smith and Wesson performance center with a rail & red dot at the local gun shop
For me I am partial to a Super Redhawk, and since I hunt in Grizzly Bear country so much, a .44 mag is pretty much a necessity (bear spray doesn't do shit and usually just blinds the user), and you need to have super hot loads with 325+gr hard cast bullets. They (ammo manufacturers) explicitly tell you to not shoot these large loads out of anything but a Super Redhawk/Blackhawk.

You don't have a whole lot to worry about with Grizzlies in CO, but if you come hunt WY at all (esp northern), you will need it. Don't know what your use is.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Single action, or hot as fuck rounds = Ruger

Double action, factory loads = Smith.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:08 AM   #12
bucktales has a spectacular aura aboutbucktales has a spectacular aura about

bucktales's Tacoma Gallery
I like both, but I always felt S&W had a smoother action.(at least the older ones did)
Old 03-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #13
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
came here for the boobies
Old 03-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktales View Post
I like both, but I always felt S&W had a smoother action.(at least the older ones did)
Compared to a blackhawk? I've shot a couple 629's, and they were good, but there's nothing as smooth as a Blackhawk. The Redhawk is nice for a double-action, but it is not a pretty revolver. The Blackhawk is beautiful compared to the Redhawk and S&W.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Really, .44 mag? For me these are fun for 12 or 18 rounds, first 6 are a blast after that it's downhill.
I bought a lever action in .357 because I have so much .357 ammo, the fun factor wore off in my SW 586.
Shoot 44 special or even the cowboy loads and recoil isn't an issue.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #16
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Been looking for a short barrel (4" or less) 629 on the used marked for a few months now. See lots of long barreled rugers out there. Makes me think that folks just don't get rid of their S&Ws once they have them.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Been looking for a short barrel (4" or less) 629 on the used marked for a few months now. See lots of long barreled rugers out there. Makes me think that folks just don't get rid of their S&Ws once they have them.
Yep. and I second the strength on a Ruger. (and fabulous girl with the short shirt!!)
Old 03-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Single action, or hot as fuck rounds = Ruger

Double action, factory loads = Smith.
Ruger and Dan Wesson frames and cylinder are heavier for hot loads. Smith have sweet triggers.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPROMAN View Post
Ruger and Dan Wesson frames and cylinder are heavier for hot loads. Smith have sweet triggers.
The trigger on my super blackhawk gives my timmney trigger on my AR a run for its money.