Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Gun Safe in Basement?

Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
Turdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of lightTurdburglar is a glorious beacon of light
Turdburglar's Tacoma Gallery
Gun Safe in Basement?

I purchased a Field & Stream gun safe recently and plan on installing it in my basement. Our home is newer construction, so the basement never seems humid or smells musty. My question is this - if I install the safe in direct contact with the foundation and wall, do I need to worry about the safe drawing moisture from it? I'd hate to drop $$ on a safe only to see it (potentially) rust.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
You could put thin plastic spacer between the safe and floor. Run the bolt through them both and you are covered.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
Billyj870m9 is on a distinguished road
Billyj870m9's Tacoma Gallery
Run a dehumidifier in the basement itself, run a dehumidifier rod in the safe. I would also raise up the safe a few inches off the ground just incase of a pipe burst or sump pump failure.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
You could put thin plastic spacer between the safe and floor. Run the bolt through them both and you are covered.
^this. I wouldn't put a steel safe in direct contact with any concrete surface. A simple bond breaker would do the trick. Also, Home Depot, Lowes and just about any other hardware store will sell these containers that have a salt substance in them that absorbs moisture very well. I would put one of those in close proximity to your safe initially to see how much moisture you really have seeping through your basement walls and floor.