Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Gun range target

Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Gun range target

Let's see yer homebrew targets here

NO ! ...not the tv or beer bottles U sucked down

decided to whip something up
that was better then a paper target.

primarily for .22
is only 1/4" mild plate

will break down easy, lay flat
'bout 4' wide and 20" tall to the horizontal rod.

^ I've yet to complete the upper rod mounts
rod ends will be secured using collars (drill depth stops)

guess I need to test it... see if it can handle some abuse :dunno:

Old 03-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
You did a great job on that!
Old 03-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks brother...
can't wait to to test it out

probably build another of different design
beats shooting at paper targets or junk laying around
Old 03-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
lowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Phillip
lowcountrytj's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great! Should be perfect for 22.
I have something similar but I have shot the mess out of it with 40 and 45 ...now I have to re-build lol.
P.S.-- What is even more fun is if you take that LP tank in 2nd or 3 rd pic and put a red dot on it with a fire behind it and send some lead through it !!!OOOps did I say that outloud
Old 03-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ya, paper is a pain.
Unfortunately, during fire season we can't have any steel at all on the range at Burro.
I understand no steel core ammo, but copper and lead is not going to spark hitting steel any more than it will rock.

Last 4 or 5 years, "fire season" is defined as any time the weather is good enough to get out of your truck.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountrytj View Post
Looks great! Should be perfect for 22.
I have something similar but I have shot the mess out of it with 40 and 45 ...now I have to re-build lol.
I bought one from Turner's for $100.
Plate spinner with 5 segments... Bullseye and 4 quarter-circle plates around it.

Bent the crap out of it with my 45 at 20 yards.

Then my buddy put a hole through it with his SKS at 150 yards.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! Can it broken down to take up less space when transporting to the range?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
lowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I bought one from Turner's for $100.
Plate spinner with 5 segments... Bullseye and 4 quarter-circle plates around it.

Bent the crap out of it with my 45 at 20 yards.

Then my buddy put a hole through it with his SKS at 150 yards.
Lol,yeah mine has had to much frag damage to even try to slide the hangers off. I could probably grind it down and go from there but it gives me an excuse to do some welding
Old 03-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
#Pop_An_IceBerg
V5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: V5ioV
V5ioV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
Let's see yer homebrew targets here

NO ! ...not the tv or beer bottles U sucked down

decided to whip something up
that was better then a paper target.

primarily for .22
is only 1/4" mild plate

will break down easy, lay flat
'bout 4' wide and 20" tall to the horizontal rod.

^ I've yet to complete the upper rod mounts
rod ends will be secured using collars (drill depth stops)

guess I need to test it... see if it can handle some abuse :dunno:

looks good… is it going to have a reset plate?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Truck ~n~ Tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountrytj View Post
I have shot the mess out of it with 40 and 45 ...now I have to re-build lol.
P.S.-- What is even more fun is if you take that LP tank in 2nd or 3 rd pic and put a red dot on it with a fire behind it and send some lead through it !!!OOOps did I say that outloud
^ funny... 'cause I know I won't be able to resist shooting at it with muh 30/30
but if I made it... guess I could fix most any of muh boogers

I've shot a few propane tanks... they just go phssssss boring

maybe less boring if there's a fire behind the LP tank
Old 03-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #11

Army:
Quote:
^ funny... 'cause I know I won't be able to resist shooting at it with muh 30/30
but if I made it... guess I could fix most any of muh boogers

I've shot a few propane tanks... they just go phssssss boring

maybe less boring if there's a fire behind the LP tank
Well,it adds a little eeww and awww factor when done properly. Thats what they told me anyways lol
Old 03-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Are the target plates 4x4"?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
Truck ~n~ Tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ya, paper is a pain.
Unfortunately, during fire season we can't have any steel at all on the range at Burro.
I understand no steel core ammo, but copper and lead is not going to spark hitting steel any more than it will rock.

Last 4 or 5 years, "fire season" is defined as any time the weather is good enough to get out of your truck.
during fire alerts/conditions where I go...
no shooting is allowed period... when posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
Looks good! Can it broken down to take up less space when transporting to the range?
yes, the side stands are removable.
so it lays flat when stowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5ioV View Post
looks good… is it going to have a reset plate?
what's a reset plate ? and should I need one ?

the lower target plates are fairly heavy...
it should settle down fairly quick I'd think ?

--------------------

appreciate the compliments and comments, thanks
Old 03-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #14

Quote:

No need for a reset plate on a standard spinner.

That would be used if, say you're doing an informal competition...
As the targets are hit, they lock in a "hit" position that takes them out of view. When all of the targets have been hit, you shoot the reset plate to release the spinners.

Premature release can count against you... It's a way of not only providing a fun, resettable target, but also in forcing the shooter to actually aim at a specific plate, rather than just "anywhere".
Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
#Pop_An_IceBerg
V5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: V5ioV
V5ioV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
during fire alerts/conditions where I go...
no shooting is allowed period... when posted.

yes, the side stands are removable.
so it lays flat when stowed

--------------------

appreciate the compliments and comments, thanks
oh ok…. I seen some of those that stay up as you hit them and then there is one last target that resets them back down!
kinda like in this video i found…… but like you said… if they are heavy enough you wont need it….
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnjKfZfwyrA
Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
Truck ~n~ Tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Nice! Are the target plates 4x4"?
no, they're 3X3... mostly because muh scrap pile dictated that
Old 03-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
That is a good job OP. We use the signs left around from people selling houses. They make good target stands and are a.) metal/aluminum b.) plentiful. We must have 30 or 40 of them at the place I shoot. ReMax makes the best ones.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #18

Army:
These are some of my replacements...Different sizes and angles. The little 1x1 is the deal breaker
Old 03-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
Truck ~n~ Tow

^ nice...

I was going to use tube for the spinner mounts...
then I thought... naw... the welder's heat will just distort them.

maybe not tho' ...you don't have any issue with that ?

What is the thickness of that tube ?

Those plates ballistic ?

And muh final question...

When the plates are hit with .22
does that cause the spinner rods to twist (turn) ?

Just curious if that ^ could occur...
using light ammo.

I know my rods are harder steel then std. mild plate
'cause muh cut off saw was slow to cut
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #20

Army:
Honestly, I'm not sure of thickness, but no distortion. My plates are 1/4 mild steel.
My rods are 1/4 cold roll and I haven't seen any of them twist even when I fired 40 into em at about 50 feet( jhp).
I went to take a pic of my setup, but it has walked off somewhere...