Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

3D Printed Guns

Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
3D Printed Guns

I saw a trailer for this documentary a few days ago and we intreged to watch it when it posted.

It is about a few individuals that are working to "make" AR-15 lower receivers and magazines with a 3D printer. Some people believe that 3D printers will be in ever home in the 10-20 years.

I am curious what others think of this concept.

PLEASE keep this civil, this is a chance for open discussion about a cutting edge technology and what it means to the firearm community. Not only the ability for anyone to "print" a gun at home, but also to the impact on firearm manufactures around the world that make a living on producing and sell firearms.

http://youtu.be/DconsfGsXyA
Old 03-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Saw this last night... very interesting.

Part of me likes that it makes gun production harder to control, but part of me is also made uneasy by that.

I also think this kid is an egomaniac, but maybe that's just me.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I will start this off...

I think for safety and commerce this needs to be regulated. I am glad to hear that these guys did get a FFL for manufacturing, it means they can legally expand and grow this technology.

Will it fall into the wrong hands? Yes, but if you have the $3k to buy a 3D printer, than you could also use that same money to illegally buy ANY type of firearm, including RPGs and other US restricted weapons. A recently LA gun buy back program took in two rocket launchers, this didn't even phase the LAPD as it was not even close to the first ones they had seen.

I will be fallowing these guys progress, not because I am looking to buy their products, but because I want to see how, and it will, this changes things.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
N7MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2k2 View Post
I also think this kid is an egomaniac, but maybe that's just me.
I got that too. Put some of the greatest changes in history, good and bad, came from egomaniacs. They are willing to keep pushing an issue to see how far they can go.