Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

First Mature Turkey 2013

Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
ivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ivoryaddict's Tacoma Gallery
First Mature Turkey 2013

Put the hammer down on a jake Sunday and have been itchin to get a better bird. With good weather today, headed out to test my luck.
Here's the story:
Had one of the most adrenaline filled hunts this morning. Was doing the typical drive, stop, call routine when a tom gobbled behind me and below the road. He wasn't far away and there wasn't much cover. Trying to separate myself from the truck, I walked a short way down the road looking for a good set-up. While sneaking, the bird's movement caught my eye. He was about 100yds away and feeding. Without proper cover, I laid down on the road and rested the shotgun over the bank. I let out a few yelps and received a flurry of gobbles and yelps in return. The tom worked in front of me, but stayed well out of range. He stopped behind an oak and started drumming. By now my adrenaline was through the roof. I was thankful he was out of range so that I didn't attempt a shaky shot. Minutes later, I caught movement to the left as the flock came into view. Jakes and hens worked just below scratching in the leaves. A few more calls from me got everyone talking. I let off the call because nothing was coming in closer. As the flock fed away, the tom kept drumming from behind the tree. I considered repositioning in front of the feeding flock, but my success with this has been limited (aka never works). So I decided to let the flock go and try to call them back by the drumming tom and hopefully draw him in. With a few soft yelps, the flock responded with clucks, yelps, and gobbles. They swung back and feed in my direction. With several hens within 30 yards, I just held still. The largest jake came to investigate the call. He came within ten yards and looked hard for the "hen." With my face pressed to the road bed, I decided to tick off the hens with a series of fighting/challenging cuts. Out of the corner of my eye, the jake continued to search for a hen. The woods exploded in noise as the hens responded vigorously to the calls. The old tom finally broke strut and began working up the hill to his hens. As he neared, the jake finally turned away allowing me to reposition the gun. With the tom finally in range, it was time to try out a new round. Boom-pow it did the trick, bird down. A nice 20 lb Rio with 10 1/2 inch beard.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
270wsm is just really nice270wsm is just really nice270wsm is just really nice270wsm is just really nice270wsm is just really nice

Marines:
270wsm's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Bird Congrats
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
Redneck08 is on a distinguished road
Redneck08's Tacoma Gallery
Nice tom! Our season hasn't started here yet, I'm itching to go after seeing all these pics of birds.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
tking is on a distinguished road

Name: Taylor
tking's Tacoma Gallery
Nice going! Can't wait till next Sat when our season comes in!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
NICE! i'll be back at it the following weekend. solo. i really just want a tasty jake.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
Great bird and sounds like an exciting hunt. What were you using for a call?

AZ has allowed you to purchase a companion turkey tag if you were drawn for Archery Elk this year. I was lucky enough to draw a bull tag and will be getting a Turkey tag as well. This could be the best hunting trip ever! Is it September yet?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
ivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ivoryaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Great bird and sounds like an exciting hunt. What were you using for a call?

AZ has allowed you to purchase a companion turkey tag if you were drawn for Archery Elk this year. I was lucky enough to draw a bull tag and will be getting a Turkey tag as well. This could be the best hunting trip ever! Is it September yet?
I was using an HS Strut diaphragm call EZ Rasp. Have used there Cuttin' 2.5 as well with good success. Although I like using different friction calls, it's nice having your hands on the gun and making very little movement. An elk turkey combo hunt sounds phenomenal. Good luck with that.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Never saw this thread, Nice Tom man! This was the first year in 13 years I have missed opening day.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Birddog77 is on a distinguished road
Birddog77's Tacoma Gallery
Nice bird