1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

9MM ammunition

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by LonghornTaco, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Feb 23, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    yeah I've been going there every day... no 762x39 in bulk. I only have about 100 rnds. I am going down the steet to get some yugo stuff 1120 for $350. sucks, used to be able to get that stuff for cheap!

another place is ammotogo.com

2. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Well-Known Member

Member:
    East of the Mississippi, South of the Ohio
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    modified for light trail use
    Watch Gander Mt. if you have one near you. They are keeping 7.62 in-stock somehow around here when everyone (everyone) else is sold out. I picked up 200 rounds of 7.62 Brown Bear Sat. for $5.99/box.

And if you're looking for some .223 in bulk, try here.

3. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    kristopherl

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    wish I saw your note earlier about the .40 I got as much 40 as I want to spend money on... now its being spent on 7.62 and 223.

thinking of getting some of that self defence .40 shot shells for in the house. DAMN they are expensive. I Don't want any bullets going threw the walls and potentially into one of the kids rooms if (GOD forbid) someone actually breaks into the house and has a weapon

4. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    kristopherl

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    AmmoMan has some 7.62 CHEAP.... have you ordered from them before?

5. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    All non-coded ammo will have a set date for destruction. It's like June 2011 or something.

So, it's always smart to stock-up, but I wouldn't stock for anything more than a couple of years. Having rogue ammo will be enough for them to take your guns away, and to me, it's not worth that risk. Buy all you can and shoot all you can while you still can.

With an ailing Supreme Court Justice and a lib-dominated government just itching to replace her, it's just a matter of time before the ish hits the fan for gun owners.

6. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    I sure haven't. I haven't had too much trouble finding ammo locally until the last week or so.

Just doing my recon now so I'll know where to go when I need it.

7. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    kristopherl

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    So my question is "how are they going to regulate what's out there" are they going to be like the gestapo and go door to door? If they did this your talking millions maybe billions of dollars being thrown away by the american public because of this... what a waist

8. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    if they did that you are talking revolution...rioting, violence, mass chaos.

9. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    kristopherl

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    OK.. so I just got a call from my B-I-L and he heard the new ammo is coming with dated primer. Not sure how that would work. apparently the primer stops working after a yr. I would think that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

10. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    kristopherl

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Not to be a lunatic but I could see that happening.

11. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...

yeah. I'm not a big lawsuit guy, but I'd jump on that bandwagon for sure.

12. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    Hey, with the way this admin has spent money so far, it would not surprise me in the least to see agants at the ranges scoping folks out, if they don'y just employ rangemasters to do ammo checks.

13. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    First time somebody dies b/c their ammo shits the bed while trying to defend themselves from a badguy ...there will be hell to pay.

14. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:51 AM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    LHT,

There is actually a difference in ammo and also what use your going be using it for. I compete and find that certain ammo and loads make a huge difference (not to mention some don't meet the power factor). Also, it highly depends on what type of firearm you're using it in. I have a Noveske in which John specifically told me what ammo to buy and what not to buy, similarly, Paul from Pistol Dynamics requires that you use 124 grain for 9mm in his 1911 pistols instead of the more readily available 115 grain in Wally's World, etc. I'm going to be reloading soon so this won't be an issue. I'd do some research as well as get on some weapon specific forums to see what others are using. i.e. I have no idea what works in Glocks because I don't shoot Glocks, but I do have an extensive knowledge of the 1911. Hope this helps.

Rob

15. Feb 23, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    Hey, Zero...

I'm in the market for a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm. Got any ammo info on that particular weapon?

Thanks.

16. Feb 23, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps

By no means am I an expert so these are just MY findings after competing, researching and speaking to qualified gunsmiths.
    This is entirely my OPINION, not fact. OK, that was my disclaimer.

Are you looking for ammo to shoot at the range? Compete or home defense? Pro Carry II is a 4" barrel so for the following I suggest -

Range - WWB (Winchester White Box), Remington or CCI Blazer Brass (not Aluminum casing) in 115 grain will serve you fine.

Competition, I'd step up to 124 grain, for a guaranteed function, enough power for a proper cycle rate of the slide and a short rise of the front sight. It's harder to find but Winchester and Remington make 124 grain in bulk 100 boxes.

Home Defense - TAP rounds from Hornandy, Federal or Black Hills in JHP.

I'm assuming you're going to be using the stock barrel. For most applications the stock barrel will spit out 115 or 124 grain just fine. If you change out barrels, I'd check to see what ammo is recommend.

Also, don't forget the main culprit for a non-functioning 9mm 1911 is 3 things, Magazine, Ammo and Recoil Spring. I use the Wilson Combat ETM 10 round magazines and have never had a FTRB (failure to return to battery) with it, always a positive slide lock too. The stock magazines have not been good to me, they're in a small box hidden in my closet.

I compete with a 9mm 1911 but carry a .45 1911, if you're looking for a self defense firearm, I'd get a .45, I'd get the 9mm for range time or competition. And if you're concerned about not "printing" while carrying a full frame 5" 1911, don't be, the additional 1" length is hidden below the waistline (one trick is to carry your wallet in your OTHER pocket, don't risk showing your weapon while taking out your wallet. If you're concerned about the weight, take a look at an aluminum frame such as the Lightweight Operator from Springfield.

Sorry a bit off topic... Hope that helps.

Rob

17. Feb 23, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    For my pistols:

Target rounds - Winchester FMJ "white box" from Wally. Cheap and good target rounds. Walmart is the best price that I've found for these.

Carry rounds - Federal Premium Hydra-Shok JHP (jacked hollow point). These rounds are no Fn joke!!!
    [​IMG]

For my .45, I'll pratice w/ the same grain as what I carry. I'll shoot some HP through it sometimes, but it will hurt your wallet.

For my rifles:

I like the Federal Premium Sierra GameKing BTSP (Boat tail soft point). If you look at the back of the actual bullet, it's rounded more than most lead. You can look the specs up, but essientially it makes the bullet fly more true with more energy.

[​IMG]

Shotguns:

Federal

IMHO, Federal makes the best rounds that you can get for "over-the-counter ammo". Ammo is just like anything else, people will like one brand over another.

18. Feb 23, 2009 at 8:28 AM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    Helps a ton, thanks.

This would be mainly a range gun. (I'd like to have a full-size, but I don't want to pay that much for a 9mm 1911. I want something that shoots well, but doesn't cost me an arm and leg to own and use as a dedicated shooter. But, I also like the idea of being able to stuff and carry it if need be.

Thanks again.

19. Feb 23, 2009 at 8:36 AM
    roughnready62

roughnready62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5
    K&N Intake SoftTopper
    I tell ya, mostly I go to walmart and buy the winchester stuff, not only because the prices literally cannot be beaten, but also because I reload my own ammo (.40 and .45). I also carry, and when I do, I have nothing but hydrashok JH+P's.

I did some research about the coded ammunition, and the associated taxes with it, and from what I was able to find, it appears as though it is not a federal issue (it's not been brought before congress) and the issue has had motions on it in several different states...I've not found one state that agreed to any part of the bill, even liberal states like Maryland shot the bill down.
    ....Also, if the bill were to be passed at some point in the future, all "non-coded" ammunition would either have to be destroyed (within 2-3 years of the bill being passed) or some crazy tax would have to be payed (I think like 5 dollars per box of ammo).

However, none of that will keep me from stockpiling a few thousand rounds, I mean hell, I'm going to shoot it all eventually right?

20. Feb 23, 2009 at 10:54 AM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    Am I the only guy carrying Speer Gold Dots in 9mm?

I dig the Hyrdashoks, but law enforcement around here carries the Speer and I try to mimick that in an effort to create an umbrella of legal protection if I ever have to use them. Same reason I only carry 10-round mags.

just wondering.

Products Discussed in

To Top