Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

PMAG 10 first look

Old 04-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #21
Yoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to all

Air Force: Space Professional
Name: Scott
Yoshio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmccray View Post
So if op pulled his mag apart and put 1 rivet through the front of the mag or inserted a dowel inside the spring and put a tiny screw through the bottom plate into the bottom plate on the spring he could probably keep and use his current mags.
Truth, but the military is only a passing thing, no matter how long you want it to last, they kick you out at some point.

I'd rather have my 30 round PMAGs in storage for when I return to a less restrictive state, especially if a national ban on regular capacity magazines ever gains traction.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshio View Post
Truth, but the military is only a passing thing, no matter how long you want it to last, they kick you out at some point.

I'd rather have my 30 round PMAGs in storage for when I return to a less restrictive state, especially if a national ban on regular capacity magazines ever gains traction.
For the time being at least, you can keep them broken down.
It is still legal to buy and import "rebuild kits" that are intended to be used to repair existing mags that you possessed prior to the ban.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
Yoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to all

Yoshio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
For the time being at least, you can keep them broken down.
It is still legal to buy and import "rebuild kits" that are intended to be used to repair existing mags that you possessed prior to the ban.
Thanks Rich, I didn't know that!
Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #24
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshio View Post
Thanks Rich, I didn't know that!
The penal code was renumbered a couple of years ago. Here's the new statute.
Quote:
32310. Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing January 1, 2000, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.
There were a total of around 32 exemptions under the old statute, but none of those would apply in your case.
Possession is not illegal. Importation, manufacture (assembly of a rebuild kit), and transferring TO another person are prohibited.
Purchase is not specifically banned, but if the seller is booked under a felony (it's a wobbler), then the buyer would likely be charged with conspiracy.

There is a 36 month statute of limitations, but if you leave the state, the clock restarts each time they are imported.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #25

Yoshio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
The penal code was renumbered a couple of years ago. Here's the new statute.

There were a total of around 32 exemptions under the old statute, but none of those would apply in your case.
Possession is not illegal. Importation, manufacture (assembly of a rebuild kit), and transferring TO another person are prohibited.
Purchase is not specifically banned, but if the seller is booked under a felony (it's a wobbler), then the buyer would likely be charged with conspiracy.

There is a 36 month statute of limitations, but if you leave the state, the clock restarts each time they are imported.
I'll just have to keep them disassembled then. At least I don't have to store them
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #26
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wonder if you could take the bottom plate off of your mags and put a "plug" or sorts in it to limit the mag to 10 or however many? Would it be legal? Even then does it matter if it is?
I think the magazine must originate as 10 rounds, magpul makes a 10 round minus block and warns it wont make a 20 round legal as a 10 round in Cali.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #27

Yoshio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
I think the magazine must originate as 10 rounds, magpul makes a 10 round minus block and warns it wont make a 20 round legal as a 10 round in Cali.
Pretty sure it's because you can 'readily convert' a blocked magazine to its regular capacity unless you pin or epoxy the block in place. As magpul doesn't include the pin/glue, the block is not a full 'CA-legal' solution.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #28
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
ah, makes sense.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #29
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dtmccray's Tacoma Gallery
Wait it's illegal to own a 30 round mag in Ca? I thought it was one of those where you could have one but couldn't have it in your gun.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Wait it's illegal to own a 30 round mag in Ca? I thought it was one of those where you could have one but couldn't have it in your gun.
It is illegal to import, manufacture/assemble, or to offer for sale or sell/give/lend (to a non-exempt person).

Mere possesion OR USE is not illegal, unless it is a fixed-magazine semiautomatic centerfire rifle (that makes it an assault weapon).

My wife has a 92FS and a few 15rd magazines that we have had since before the ban. Perfectly legal.

It IS currently legal to block/limit a 30rd body to hold only 10 rounds.
The law defines a large capacity magazine as an "ammunition feeding device capable of feeding more than 10 rounds"
You can legally take a parts kit (or for that matter, a legally-possessed high-cap) and limit it's capacity to 10rds. It is then exempt from the sale/gift/lend restrictions, and may be used in a fixed-magazine rifle. There is nothing in the law that prohibits this. A lot of people throw around a lot of made-up "laws" about not only California, but about guns in general... they heard it at a gun shop, or from a cop, or from a friend. In general, cops and gun shops are the worst place to learn about gun laws.

On simply "blocking", the law does require "permanence".
This is a matter of personal comfort... what do YOU believe the arresting officer and DA are going to consider "permanent"? What do you believe the jury will consider "permanent"? How much money do you have to defend yourself?

There are companies that make blocks that can be inserted into the spring to limit 20 and 30rd bodies to 10rds, but simply inserting one and snapping on the floorplate would certainly not be considered "permanent".

Personally, I am comfortable with rivets, because their removal required the use of a drill. Technically, with the application of power tools, virtually nothing is truly "permanent"... but my bodies can not readily be converted back to 30rd bodies.
Some are not comfortable with just the rivets, and instead prefer to use a block (a paint stirrer works fine) coupled with epoxying the floorplate on.

The same methods are being used to get the Springfield XDm into the state. It is not on the roster, so we have to import it with an extended barrel (10.5" OAL) and in a single-shot form. The magazines are a secondary problem, as they are not made in 10rd, so we import the parts disassembled, epoxy spacers to the inside of the body that prevents the follower from going below halfway, and voila... we have 10rd magazines for the XDm.