1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear sight for one handed manipulation

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by FLtaco24, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Apr 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    FLtaco24

FLtaco24 [OP] Just a man and his truck

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Daytona Beach/South FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stock for now
  2. Apr 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...this dude has all kind of tactical mods for handguns, ...might check it out, ...i think he has a version of ameriglo operator sights for glock and m&p... if you're really feeling adventurous and don't mind being w/out the gun for a while he can mill and set a trijicon RMR red dot into the slide, to co-witness w/ the irons! :D

http://bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html

3. Apr 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Why buy a sight specifically for this purpose? The factory Glock rear sight has a better edge than some handguns for this. I prefer practicing this strategy with the factory sights because the likelihood of needing to rack the slide one-handed are about the same as needing to do the same with a firearm you had to pick up and odds are good that this firearm won't have special sights. Just remember that quicker is better for this tactic and you'll likely never need it.

For my carry weapons there needs to be a VERY pressing reason for me to change out factory parts. There's something to be said for a factory handgun known for performance and reliability out of the box that stays factory.

4. Apr 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    FLtaco24

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Daytona Beach/South FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stock for now
    If I didn't use my gun for work than maybe. Thanks

5. Apr 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    FLtaco24

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Daytona Beach/South FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stock for now
    Well I've tried racking the slide with my nighthawk holster and it didn't work out so well, I actually chipped apiece of the plastic on my sight. The factory rear sight just to low. And I get what your saying about the likelihood to some people, but stuff happens that's why we have an opinion to arm ourselves if we want to. But thanks for your .02.

6. Apr 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    You're using factory fixed sights on your Glock? Get the factory night sights and they won't break. You can always put Mepro's on and it's the same thing.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. I'm not saying don't practice for the goofy rare instance what I'm saying is to consider all potentials in said situation. If you're trying to rack a slide one-handed I'm sure a myriad of things haven't gone to plan so planning for this narrow focus could very well be your undoing. You're mindset is to set your gun up for that rare instance to make it easier and what I'm saying is to learn to use parts less designed for this purpose and THAT may be a life saving skill someday more so than setting YOUR weapon up for that rare instance. In other words, say you get a rear sight that makes single handed operation easier. So now you're set should that rare instance present itself, right? What happens if for some reason that rare instance comes along but you don't have your weapon or it malfunctions or any number of things that make it so you have to pick up another handgun... what are the odds it will be set up the way you set yours up? Probably not good especially if you change out the rear sights with something more capable of single handed operation and never practiced doing it with less adequate parts but parts that are more universal and more likely to be on a picked up weapon.

That was what I was trying to say about practicing for highly unlikely scenarios. Both of these scenarios or just as unlikely and could even cross paths.

7. Apr 29, 2013 at 11:16 PM
    GLOCKMASTER

GLOCKMASTER Active Member

Member:
    NC/NoVa/KASOTC
    Nothing wrong with the Dawson Precision sights. I use the adjustable a on most of my Glocks and I've never had a problem using the rear sight to practice one hand slide operations.

8. Feb 4, 2021 at 6:04 AM
    AGWarEagle87

AGWarEagle87 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2015 Grey Tacoma TRD
    3" lift 33x12.50 One piece TW rear drive shaft
    I know this is an old thread, but for anyone who comes across this post and find the subject useful, Trijicon, Hi-Viz, Night Fision, and AmeriGlo are arguably the best steel sights on the market. They are also all designed for one-hand operation. I was enlisted for 10 years in 3rd Ranger Btn. I have field tested all the big-name optics on the market. When it comes to hand guns, nothing I've used has even remotely come close to the performance and longevity of Trijicon steel sights and red-dots.

9. Feb 6, 2021 at 11:46 AM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW

loaded glock n holster.........................U want to ‘ manipulate ‘ what ???

training teaches me draw......aquire target.......double tap

in training we are taught to to shoot off-hand

tactical reload

either or both if wounded or impaired

not familiar with racking a fully loaded Glock off a duty belt

Products Discussed in

To Top