LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Rear sight for one handed manipulation

Old 04-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Just a man and his truck
FLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant future

Navy: GSM
Name: JJ
FLtaco24's Tacoma Gallery
Rear sight for one handed manipulation

I'm looking for advice from anyone who knows a good rear sight; for my Glock. To perform one handed manipulation, mainly so I can work the slide off my belt or when I'm at work my nighthawk holster.

The only companies I have found are from Dawson Precision and "The Claw" from I.C.E.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Categ...er+Rear+Sights

http://www.clawrearsight.com/

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
...this dude has all kind of tactical mods for handguns, ...might check it out, ...i think he has a version of ameriglo operator sights for glock and m&p... if you're really feeling adventurous and don't mind being w/out the gun for a while he can mill and set a trijicon RMR red dot into the slide, to co-witness w/ the irons!

http://bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html
Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Why buy a sight specifically for this purpose? The factory Glock rear sight has a better edge than some handguns for this. I prefer practicing this strategy with the factory sights because the likelihood of needing to rack the slide one-handed are about the same as needing to do the same with a firearm you had to pick up and odds are good that this firearm won't have special sights. Just remember that quicker is better for this tactic and you'll likely never need it.

For my carry weapons there needs to be a VERY pressing reason for me to change out factory parts. There's something to be said for a factory handgun known for performance and reliability out of the box that stays factory.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Just a man and his truck
FLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
...this dude has all kind of tactical mods for handguns, ...might check it out, ...i think he has a version of ameriglo operator sights for glock and m&p... if you're really feeling adventurous and don't mind being w/out the gun for a while he can mill and set a trijicon RMR red dot into the slide, to co-witness w/ the irons!

http://bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html
If I didn't use my gun for work than maybe. Thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Just a man and his truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
Why buy a sight specifically for this purpose? The factory Glock rear sight has a better edge than some handguns for this. I prefer practicing this strategy with the factory sights because the likelihood of needing to rack the slide one-handed are about the same as needing to do the same with a firearm you had to pick up and odds are good that this firearm won't have special sights. Just remember that quicker is better for this tactic and you'll likely never need it.

For my carry weapons there needs to be a VERY pressing reason for me to change out factory parts. There's something to be said for a factory handgun known for performance and reliability out of the box that stays factory.
Well I've tried racking the slide with my nighthawk holster and it didn't work out so well, I actually chipped apiece of the plastic on my sight. The factory rear sight just to low. And I get what your saying about the likelihood to some people, but stuff happens that's why we have an opinion to arm ourselves if we want to. But thanks for your .02.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtaco24 View Post
Well I've tried racking the slide with my nighthawk holster and it didn't work out so well, I actually chipped apiece of the plastic on my sight. The factory rear sight just to low. And I get what your saying about the likelihood to some people, but stuff happens that's why we have an opinion to arm ourselves if we want to. But thanks for your .02.
You're using factory fixed sights on your Glock? Get the factory night sights and they won't break. You can always put Mepro's on and it's the same thing.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. I'm not saying don't practice for the goofy rare instance what I'm saying is to consider all potentials in said situation. If you're trying to rack a slide one-handed I'm sure a myriad of things haven't gone to plan so planning for this narrow focus could very well be your undoing. You're mindset is to set your gun up for that rare instance to make it easier and what I'm saying is to learn to use parts less designed for this purpose and THAT may be a life saving skill someday more so than setting YOUR weapon up for that rare instance. In other words, say you get a rear sight that makes single handed operation easier. So now you're set should that rare instance present itself, right? What happens if for some reason that rare instance comes along but you don't have your weapon or it malfunctions or any number of things that make it so you have to pick up another handgun... what are the odds it will be set up the way you set yours up? Probably not good especially if you change out the rear sights with something more capable of single handed operation and never practiced doing it with less adequate parts but parts that are more universal and more likely to be on a picked up weapon.

That was what I was trying to say about practicing for highly unlikely scenarios. Both of these scenarios or just as unlikely and could even cross paths.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #7
GLOCKMASTER is on a distinguished road

Marines:
GLOCKMASTER's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing wrong with the Dawson Precision sights. I use the adjustable a on most of my Glocks and I've never had a problem using the rear sight to practice one hand slide operations.