Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Help me pick a compact .45

Old 04-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah 1911s are nice but at the pricepoint I'm looking to spend and the size I want it doesn't really match up. Glocks are ugly but it'd be concealed 99% of the time so that doesn't mean anything. I just want one that works 100%.

A buddy of mine just got an XDs I'll see if I can meet up with him and at least see how it fits my hand if the shops I'm going to tomorrow dont have one.

As for ammo, I can still find some at the walmarts near me. Federal 230 FMJ bulk packs are ~$32, WWB are ~$40. 40sw prices are $30 for fed, $37 for WWB so its really not that big a difference.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #22
2wheelnut is on a distinguished road

Name: Angelo
2wheelnut's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, that's great! Been on a drought out here for a while now.

XD's are nice shooters.

Glocks are ugly but I like their simplicity and low cost. Easy to maintain and easy to fix as well. Lots of spares around and a very easy DIY design. Good luck in pickin' one out!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #23
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelnut View Post
Wow, that's great! Been on a drought out here for a while now.

XD's are nice shooters.

Glocks are ugly but I like their simplicity and low cost. Easy to maintain and easy to fix as well. Lots of spares around and a very easy DIY design. Good luck in pickin' one out!
I use a site (www.ammoloco.com) to find out whenever the trucks come in if they have ammo on them. Then I go in around midnight and bug one of the overnight stockers to go find it for me. Better than waiting at 7am with the rest of the vultures

Prices for some of the guns I'm looking into:
XDm Compact .45 is $650.
XDs is $600.
SW MP45c is $530.
Gen 4 Glock 30 is ~$580.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #24
2wheelnut is on a distinguished road

Name: Angelo
2wheelnut's Tacoma Gallery
You can bargain with them, well I take that back, it's a bad time to bargain since the demand went up so dang high smh.

Thanks for the tip!I haven't been out shooting in a whiiillleee because of all this craziness.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #25
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
A buddy of mine has two Beretta Cougar's....8045's.
Nice steel single-stack.
Definitely a better option for CC and steel is real.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:59 AM   #26
Tenzing is a name known to allTenzing is a name known to allTenzing is a name known to allTenzing is a name known to allTenzing is a name known to allTenzing is a name known to all
Name: Chris
Tenzing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
I use a site (www.ammoloco.com) to find out whenever the trucks come in if they have ammo on them. Then I go in around midnight and bug one of the overnight stockers to go find it for me. Better than waiting at 7am with the rest of the vultures

I've been in Europe for the past two months, is it still that bad? I thought that after everything died on the floor, it would calm down a bit.

(Not trying to make it political, just wondering if it's still that bad and if so, why)
Old 04-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #27
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Seems spotty depending where ya are. There's a little ammo around me,but you'll pay.

Good luck op finding one you'll like .
Old 04-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #28
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
If you're thinking polymer, then my vote is the M&P .45c. If not, then a 1911 compact is the way to go. Here's my RIA.

Over 100 rounds through it so far with zero failures of any type. I do plan on swapping out a few parts with Wilson Combat parts just for my own preference.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #29
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Kimber pro carry 4 inch barrel, night sights, smooth trigger, all steel construction! What's not to love
Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #30
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzing View Post
I've been in Europe for the past two months, is it still that bad? I thought that after everything died on the floor, it would calm down a bit.

(Not trying to make it political, just wondering if it's still that bad and if so, why)
ar-15's are way down from what they were now(still alittle high though), and so are magazines. but ammo is still impossible.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #31
BlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really nice
Name: Thomas
BlindingWhiteTac.'s Tacoma Gallery
I have a M&P 9mm. I have always been a fan of Glocks and I have had my 19 for years. But S&W did an excellent job and if I were doing it all over again I would buy the M&P. The S&W comes from the factory with steel sights while the Glock sights are plastic. The ergonomics of the M&P are also liked by more people than the Glocks.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #32
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
How about a Sig 220r? I have a 239 and love it.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #33
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
Location: Home: Lexington, VA Current: Pittsburgh/Chicora, PA
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma View Post
Springfield XDS. I believe it is the handgun of the year this year. I also have big hands and when I looked at one it didn't seem too small at all.

x2 on the xds. had mine for about a year and love it
Old 04-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #34
Vidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud ofVidmon88 has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement: Federal
Name: Alex
Vidmon88's Tacoma Gallery
I have the .40 HK P2000. love that gun .45 shouldn't let you down.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #35
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
Xds
Old 04-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #36
Devious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: COL, USA (Ret.)
Name: Mark
Devious6's Tacoma Gallery
This is mine - 3" Kimber Ultra CDP II with Crimson Trace. I know it's not in the range you noted but you might find a nice condition used one. I love this pistol - but I am partial to 1911s.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #37
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
i like the XDS i carry it everywhere..its slightly larger than a keltec Pf9 but its heavier so it helps to take some of the kick out of the recoil
Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #38
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I would do 2 things if I were you.
1. find a range that has rentals, and rent as many as you can on your list.. see what you like best.
2. get on google, and google problems with each gun on your list to get a good idea about issues with them.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #39
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
Look at the Para-Ordinance Wart-Hawg. Very compact single action 11-rd (10 in the mag) 1911 style. Easy to shoot, handles great.

Ray
Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #40
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
I would do 2 things if I were you.
1. find a range that has rentals, and rent as many as you can on your list.. see what you like best.
2. get on google, and google problems with each gun on your list to get a good idea about issues with them.
there are only 2 around me that I know of and they're about an hour and a half away. Contacted one and they dont have any compact 45s.