Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Help me pick a compact .45

Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Help me pick a compact .45

I'm selling my .40 because quite frankly I dont like the recoil of the round. Not that its rough, I just dont like the snappiness. So I'm getting a .45

Here's my short list:
HK45c
S&W MP45c
XD Compact 45
Glock 30SF or Gen 4 30

All but the HK are anywhere from $500-$600, with the HK being 2x that. Seeing that it would be used in a life or death situation, the HK price isn't really a big deal breaker.

I held a Glock 30 earlier today and I hated it. Fingers didnt really line up with the grooves and it really does feel like holding a 2x4. I know a guy out near me that has a G30SF that he said I could shoot, I just gotta find ammo for it

I have big hands so the tiny guns like G36 and XDs are a no-go, I want my pinky to have a place.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
JTacoma will become famous soon enough

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Springfield XDS. I believe it is the handgun of the year this year. I also have big hands and when I looked at one it didn't seem too small at all.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
xds has been my primary for about a year now. i have huge hands and put about 800 comfortable rounds down range with it. carry it every second of every day
Old 04-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
my vote is the m&p45c, i got the .40 version and i chose it over the glocks because it's left hand friendly, to change the mag release, it takes 30 seconds. and i chose it over the XD becasue i dont care for back grip safeties, imo it's one more thing to fail. with the M&PC you can get the mag extended for a few buck so it's a fullsize grip when you just want to target practice. and with h&k, if it's the double action, i say go for it, for CC i personally like it decocked as a safety instead of carring a firepin that's constantly under pressure.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
The one thing I don't like about the HK45c is it's about 5.5" tall, which is significantly taller than the rest (around 4.8") and also my .40 was 5.3" and I felt that I printed like a mofo with it.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

if you're worried about someone noticing it, get an ruger LC9. personally, i dont care if someone see's my gun, i'm not waiting for trouble, i'm deterring it. but to each his own.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #7

but in the end, it's all about what feels best in your hand. my M&P also wont fire with the mag dropped. i dont know if the others have that feature, but i like it so if i ever get into a fight with someone i can just drop the mag and not have to worry about a gun in the middle of a fist fight.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
if you're worried about someone noticing it, get an ruger LC9. personally, i dont care if someone see's my gun, i'm not waiting for trouble, i'm deterring it. but to each his own.
my father got an LC9 as a compact defense alternative to carrying the glock 40 the department gave him (as most know it's unnecessarily bulky). very slim and compact but has a great weight to it when it's in your hand and I didn't notice my pinkie vying for grip and I have abnormally large hands. then again it's been awhile since I held it and you may have Andre the Giant hands
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what you want!
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/cu...stom-tle-rl-ii
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post

you mean this?!

https://us.armscor.com/products/1911...cal-a1fs-45acp

Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
EAA Witness .40
Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Never shot an armscor, I can only comment on guns I own!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #13

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
EAA Witness .40
I was actually thinking about the Witness 45 compact too, only problem would be finding one.

8+1, 4.5" high, grips a little thick but I'm wondering if I could put some VZ grips on for a CZ compact.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
New Tacoma 0wner!!!
TreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TreeFortRichard's Tacoma Gallery
That XD-s is very accurate at 100yds...check out this guy...he's very good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtnDae4P2I8
Old 04-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
I was actually thinking about the Witness 45 compact too, only problem would be finding one.

8+1, 4.5" high, grips a little thick but I'm wondering if I could put some VZ grips on for a CZ compact.
might as well go with a 1911, tried and true.
you can get one of them rock island armory's for 425 on Gunbroker easy.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
2wheelnut is on a distinguished road

Name: Angelo
2wheelnut's Tacoma Gallery
HK, USP Compact, They have the recoil reduction systems on them in .45 and .40 as well. Softest shooting .40 I've ever used.

What kind of .40 do you have now OP?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
MT4x4Tacoma
MT4x4Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Danielle
MT4x4Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I own the compact S&W m&p .40 i love it. but the ultimate handgun would probably be a 1911
Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #18

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelnut View Post
HK, USP Compact, They have the recoil reduction systems on them in .45 and .40 as well. Softest shooting .40 I've ever used.

What kind of .40 do you have now OP?
CZ P06, but a guy already put a deposit down on it and he's giving me the rest in a week.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #19
2wheelnut is on a distinguished road

Name: Angelo
2wheelnut's Tacoma Gallery
CZ's are fairly harsh. I had the Baby Eagle in .40, pretty much the same thing.

Poly pistols absorb more snappiness, HK with either the dual recoil spring (full size) or the Nylon buffer (compact) work really well. The trigger on the HK sucks tho, but there's a simple mainspring swap you can do.

I Just sold my Kimber Stainless TLE RL II, had the Kimber compact (Lousy pistol) and a Springfield Operator. Watch out for compact 1911 designs. They arent bad per say, just high maintenance.