Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Poll: Do you carry in your truck?

View Poll Results: Do you carry in your truck?
Yes 117 70.91%
No 6 3.64%
No; But I'd like to 38 23.03%
No; I don't see a point 4 2.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #42
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

Name: Jarrod
vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
Okay so for the guys that answered no, but want to why don't you already?

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm contemplating building a high strength safe that's taco specific and bolt in to various parts of the vehicle.

In order to carry in a lot of states it would require a certification from the DOJ which I'm looking into with a couple of local dealers around here to see what that would entail. My design that I'm working on would meet all the design requirements that I've found online it's just difficult finding whether it would need to be tested in order to receive a certificate or just a drawing and parts callouts.

It might turn into just a safe (not certified for guns) for valuables that would be protected by a 1, 2 or 3 series lock and alarm that would have RFID system and password protected.

Just thought it might be fun to play around with some design ideas for guys who are in a less restrictive state than California.

We can't even keep a gun in a vehicle locked and unloaded for personal safety from what I've been able to find online.

But I know time to time I have more cash/valuables on my person than I'd like to have easily accessible if anything would be to happen.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #43
TacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtrguy View Post
Okay so for the guys that answered no, but want to why don't you already?

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm contemplating building a high strength safe that's taco specific and bolt in to various parts of the vehicle.

In order to carry in a lot of states it would require a certification from the DOJ which I'm looking into with a couple of local dealers around here to see what that would entail. My design that I'm working on would meet all the design requirements that I've found online it's just difficult finding whether it would need to be tested in order to receive a certificate or just a drawing and parts callouts.

It might turn into just a safe (not certified for guns) for valuables that would be protected by a 1, 2 or 3 series lock and alarm that would have RFID system and password protected.

Just thought it might be fun to play around with some design ideas for guys who are in a less restrictive state than California.

We can't even keep a gun in a vehicle locked and unloaded for personal safety from what I've been able to find online.

But I know time to time I have more cash/valuables on my person than I'd like to have easily accessible if anything would be to happen.
The reason I don't is that I am 17 and in high school. Guns+underage+school grounds= expulsion and criminal prosecution

I have carried while on my way to go hunting which is legal to do here when you are 14. (gotta love the free state of Arizona)
Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #44
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBurrito07 View Post
The reason I don't is that I am 17 and in high school. Guns+underage+school grounds= expulsion and criminal prosecution

I have carried while on my way to go hunting which is legal to do here when you are 14. (gotta love the free state of Arizona)

depending on the state you live in school grounds are not off limits for example you could be an 18 year old student in Alabama, New Hampshire and im sure other places and legally carry to high school with a license to carry
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #45
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmodel65 View Post
depending on the state you live in school grounds are not off limits for example you could be an 18 year old student in Alabama, New Hampshire and im sure other places and legally carry to high school with a license to carry
state law, maybe. federal law though prohibits all firearms on school property
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #46
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
state law, maybe. federal law though prohibits all firearms on school property

you would be incorrect...first the gun free school zone has already been struck down once as being unconstitutional by the SCOTUS and there is an exemption for anyone licensed by the state...
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #47
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Always carry everywhere except at work. If I can't carry in a place, I don't go there. I also carry mossy 500 special purpose and at least one ar15 on any road trip.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #48
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you would be incorrect...first the gun free school zone has already been struck down once as being unconstitutional by the SCOTUS and there is an exemption for anyone licensed by the state...
well, i stand corrected.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #50
I Can't ReMember
TinkerToy is on a distinguished road

Army: 54B & L4 / 84th Chem Bn, 375th Chem Co
Name: Phergus
TinkerToy's Tacoma Gallery
YUUUUUUUP... I carry my Glock, because cops are too heavy. 30SF (.45 ACP)
Old 04-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #51
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtrguy View Post

You are overthinking it.

The "certified list" on the DOJ web site is ONE of three qualifications that meet the requirements for a "child safety device".
1 - Trigger lock
2 - Certified gun safe
3 - Safe that meets the specified requirements (simply an affidavit).

For transport, the ONLY thing that the law specifies is "A secure, locking container other than the glove box or the utility compartment".

In California, other than on K-12 property, it is legal to have any firearm and ammo other than a RAW in your trunk 24/7 as long as the rear seats do not release to fold down from within the passenger compartment (many new vehicles release the rear seats from inside the trunk).

A good rule of thumb for "a secure locking container" is "could a 12 year old get into it without using tools"
A sandwich bag with a zip-tie doesn't work. A metal toolbox with a TSA padlock on the catch works just fine, and I know many people that carry (with full knowledge of local LE) in what amount to fanny packs or "murses" with the zipper locked down with a TSA lock. Works just fine for metal zippers.

The big problem in carrying in a vehicle outside of a "free state" is that no matter how it is stored, you can't carry loaded.
Accessing and unlocking the container, retrieving the gun, loading, chambering.... If you have enough time to do that, it could be argued by the prosecution that you had time to safely retreat.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #52
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The first one was.
GFSZ-II was passed under the "authority" of the Commerce Clause and has not yet been taken to the SCOTUS.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #53
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Yes sir, like my granpap always said "damn the man who doesn't have a gun."
Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #54
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Yes... If by in the truck means ccw on my person.
I dont leave one in my truck.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #55
Yukon Cornelius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
The first one was.
GFSZ-II was passed under the "authority" of the Commerce Clause and has not yet been taken to the SCOTUS.

yes but you are not effecting interstate commerce by carrying to a school...they added a few words. there is still an exemption heck its even legal to carry to k-12 schools in cali, and oregon etc(assuming you are licensed)
Old 04-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #56
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Not on a daily basis since I work on a military base but on the weekends I will carry or if on a road trip I will.

Growing up taking road trips as a kid, my dad would always bring a shotgun or something "just in case".
Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #57
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
yes but you are not effecting interstate commerce by carrying to a school...they added a few words. there is still an exemption heck its even legal to carry to k-12 schools in cali, and oregon etc(assuming you are licensed)

and wa

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

(a) Any firearm;
but...

(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;
Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #58
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Not on a daily basis since I work on a military base but on the weekends I will carry or if on a road trip I will.

Growing up taking road trips as a kid, my dad would always bring a shotgun or something "just in case".
Similar, less the military base portion, I carry as often as I can. I often travel and need to park my truck at the airport. In those cases, I do not carry. If I need to leave my truck unattended for a certain amount of time in which I cannot keep the gun with me; I will leave it at home and stick with the blade. On road trips, trips of distance where I gas up to go, I always have a gun .. just in case. Never know when you might have vehicle problems and need to get assistance or hoof it up the road. I am usually "hot and alert" 70+ % of the places I go.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #59
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
I answered yes, but it is not all the time. My workplace does not permit firearms on the property and I hate to leave it in the car for 10 hours unattended since there are vehicle break-ins frequently here. I carry either a Glock 19 or a S&W snubbie. I like my revolvers, but a high capacity semi-auto that you can trust is heart warming as well.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #60
SUPER MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
I answered yes, but it is not all the time. My workplace does not permit firearms on the property and I hate to leave it in the car for 10 hours unattended since there are vehicle break-ins frequently here. I carry either a Glock 19 or a S&W snubbie. I like my revolvers, but a high capacity semi-auto that you can trust is heart warming as well.

neither does mine... however i choose to live ... if that is without my job.. so be it.. my job wont be any good to me if im dead