1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poll: Do you carry in your truck?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by vtrguy, Apr 28, 2013.

?

Do you carry in your truck?

Poll closed May 28, 2013.
  1. Yes

117 vote(s)
    70.9%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. No; But I'd like to

38 vote(s)
    23.0%
  4. No; I don't see a point

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Apr 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    that's beyond a dream here in NJ…. :(

2. Apr 29, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    vtrguy

vtrguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    Deckplate, Full OME kit, Snugtop Camper, Camry ignition ring, TRD Catback
    Okay so for the guys that answered no, but want to why don't you already?

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm contemplating building a high strength safe that's taco specific and bolt in to various parts of the vehicle.

In order to carry in a lot of states it would require a certification from the DOJ which I'm looking into with a couple of local dealers around here to see what that would entail. My design that I'm working on would meet all the design requirements that I've found online it's just difficult finding whether it would need to be tested in order to receive a certificate or just a drawing and parts callouts.

It might turn into just a safe (not certified for guns) for valuables that would be protected by a 1, 2 or 3 series lock and alarm that would have RFID system and password protected.

Just thought it might be fun to play around with some design ideas for guys who are in a less restrictive state than California.

We can't even keep a gun in a vehicle locked and unloaded for personal safety from what I've been able to find online.

But I know time to time I have more cash/valuables on my person than I'd like to have easily accessible if anything would be to happen.

3. Apr 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM
    TacoBurrito07

TacoBurrito07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 SWB Dbl cab TRD Sport 4x4
    The reason I don't is that I am 17 and in high school. Guns+underage+school grounds= expulsion and criminal prosecution

I have carried while on my way to go hunting which is legal to do here when you are 14. (gotta love the free state of Arizona)

4. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

depending on the state you live in school grounds are not off limits for example you could be an 18 year old student in Alabama, New Hampshire and im sure other places and legally carry to high school with a license to carry

5. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    state law, maybe. federal law though prohibits all firearms on school property

6. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

you would be incorrect...first the gun free school zone has already been struck down once as being unconstitutional by the SCOTUS and there is an exemption for anyone licensed by the state...

7. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    CASTRATE

CASTRATE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    SW of Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 6spd
    Always carry everywhere except at work. If I can't carry in a place, I don't go there. I also carry mossy 500 special purpose and at least one ar15 on any road trip.

8. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    well, i stand corrected. :cookiemonster:

9. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    Goflight2

Goflight2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2011 4x4 LB
    TRD Supercharger Snug top SL Window Tint 5% rear, 35% front, 40% windshield Avid Off Road bolt on sliders Andres Toyota Horns Hard-wired Garmin Nav Weather Techs 5100's in front Rear TSB Bed Extender OEM Roofrack TRD Exhaust Ultra gauge 18" Monster XD's on Nitto Terra Grapplers
    I live in CA. No guns in the truck for me!

10. Apr 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    TinkerToy

TinkerToy I Can't ReMember

Member:
    First Name:
    Phergus
    The Sooner State
    Vehicle:
    11' PreRunner SR5 TRD Quad Cab
    Contemplating racing stripes, a NOS sticker, & some glasspacks. I hear they make you go faster...
    YUUUUUUUP... I carry my Glock, because cops are too heavy. 30SF (.45 ACP)

11. Apr 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    You are overthinking it.

The "certified list" on the DOJ web site is ONE of three qualifications that meet the requirements for a "child safety device".
    1 - Trigger lock
    2 - Certified gun safe
    3 - Safe that meets the specified requirements (simply an affidavit).

For transport, the ONLY thing that the law specifies is "A secure, locking container other than the glove box or the utility compartment".

In California, other than on K-12 property, it is legal to have any firearm and ammo other than a RAW in your trunk 24/7 as long as the rear seats do not release to fold down from within the passenger compartment (many new vehicles release the rear seats from inside the trunk).

A good rule of thumb for "a secure locking container" is "could a 12 year old get into it without using tools"
    A sandwich bag with a zip-tie doesn't work. A metal toolbox with a TSA padlock on the catch works just fine, and I know many people that carry (with full knowledge of local LE) in what amount to fanny packs or "murses" with the zipper locked down with a TSA lock. Works just fine for metal zippers.

The big problem in carrying in a vehicle outside of a "free state" is that no matter how it is stored, you can't carry loaded.
    Accessing and unlocking the container, retrieving the gun, loading, chambering.... If you have enough time to do that, it could be argued by the prosecution that you had time to safely retreat.

12. Apr 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The first one was.
    GFSZ-II was passed under the "authority" of the Commerce Clause and has not yet been taken to the SCOTUS.

13. Apr 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    Yes sir, like my granpap always said "damn the man who doesn't have a gun."

14. Apr 30, 2013 at 6:09 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

yes but you are not effecting interstate commerce by carrying to a school...they added a few words. there is still an exemption heck its even legal to carry to k-12 schools in cali, and oregon etc(assuming you are licensed)

15. Apr 30, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Not on a daily basis since I work on a military base but on the weekends I will carry or if on a road trip I will.

Growing up taking road trips as a kid, my dad would always bring a shotgun or something "just in case".

16. Apr 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    KingKoda

KingKoda Never Satisfied

Member:
    Palmetto
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD.S DCSB 4x4
    Boosted TRD/URD All Terrain Sleeper w/ Sockmonkey Decals Worth +666HP
    Similar, less the military base portion, I carry as often as I can. I often travel and need to park my truck at the airport. In those cases, I do not carry. If I need to leave my truck unattended for a certain amount of time in which I cannot keep the gun with me; I will leave it at home and stick with the blade. On road trips, trips of distance where I gas up to go, I always have a gun .. just in case. Never know when you might have vehicle problems and need to get assistance or hoof it up the road. I am usually "hot and alert" 70+ % of the places I go.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  17. Apr 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    I answered yes, but it is not all the time. My workplace does not permit firearms on the property and I hate to leave it in the car for 10 hours unattended since there are vehicle break-ins frequently here. I carry either a Glock 19 or a S&W snubbie. I like my revolvers, but a high capacity semi-auto that you can trust is heart warming as well.

18. Apr 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    Jetman1979

Jetman1979 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma 4X4
    Yes I do carry in my truck and she is loaded. I live in the great state of Texas were it is all legal. I have my CCW for Utah and Texas as well. However I will have to go to California soon for work so all that has to stop.
    I hate that state I grew up there the only good thing about it is the weather and thats about it.

19. Apr 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Wut, no Florida? :cool:

20. Apr 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    Jetman1979

Jetman1979 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma 4X4
    No Flordia those two cover most states but not commiefornia.

Products Discussed in

To Top