Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Poll: Do you carry in your truck?

View Poll Results: Do you carry in your truck?
Yes 117 70.91%
No 6 3.64%
No; But I'd like to 38 23.03%
No; I don't see a point 4 2.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

Name: Jarrod
vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
Poll: Do you carry in your truck?

As the title suggests, been playing around with a few ideas in my head to see how many of y'all carry in your trucks.

If so, what do you store it in and where are you storing it?

If not, why not?

Feel free to add what state you're in for legality sake

Just getting a gauge for interest here because my buddy owns a ranger and is a gun enthusiast (I just go shoot with him occasionally).
Old 04-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

Name: Jarrod
vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
And just for information sake:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf
Old 04-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Conceal Carry
slodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant future

Name: Steven
slodc4's Tacoma Gallery
18" barrel Mossberg 500 under the rear seats and a xdm 9mm in the front
Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Once I get my HCP I will.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
2xR is on a distinguished road
Army:
2xR's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. Butler Creek set up for my Glock 31
Old 04-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Operator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really nice

Name: Dave
Operator313's Tacoma Gallery
Just made a thread for this !

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...rity-mods.html
Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
TacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud of

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator313 View Post
I was just going to say that I saw a thread about this!
Old 04-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
California is a tough nut for defensive purposes since you can't transport anything loaded. Handguns need to be in a secure locked container.
Rifles and shotguns can be tossed behind or under the seat.
Loaded mags are legal as long as they are not inserted into the gun.

When I carry, I use a small Gunvaut with the cable wrapped around the seat leg.
It's big enough for the G26 and a mag... extra mags in the glove box.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
...the best way to carry is on your person... avoid having to go into a CPZ if at all possible, ...this may mean being more "particular" about where you go to shop, do business, etc... if i absolutely must park and go into a CPZ, i remove the mag from the gun, stash the gun in a console, etc. (gun stays in holster for safety, and round stays chambered) - note in OH the gun is considered loaded but CHL holders can place the gun anywhere in the vehicle - i take all loaded mags w/ me into the CPZ...
Old 04-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
...the best way to carry is on your person... avoid having to go into a CPZ if at all possible
Not an option without a CCW/CHL in most states.

But most states are shall-issue.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
My company won't allow gun storage on company property (even with a CCW) so I can't carry the majority of the time - only on weekends.

Florida law prevents employers from restricting storage - I'm hoping Ohio follows suit.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba353z View Post
My company won't allow gun storage on company property (even with a CCW) so I can't carry the majority of the time - only on weekends.
So push the definition and get it straightened out in court.

You would be storing the gun on your private property... in your vehicle.
Your vehicle happens to be temporarily located on company property on a regular basis.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba353z View Post

Florida law prevents employers from restricting storage - I'm hoping Ohio follows suit.
...you're not alone in that thinking...

...assuming your employer's lot is not a statutory CPZ, ...then the company policy is just that, ...a company policy... not criminal trespass but perhaps a risk to your employment there should the "bosses" find out...

...also, the "parking lot" legislation that has passed in many states recently, TN, IN, etc. seems to cause some consternation between "private property rights", ...basically that of a "landowner" vs. that of the employee, or "car owner"...

...again, assuming you're employer's lot is not a statutory CPZ, ...then it comes down to managing your risk... do you risk a problem w/ the employer should they "find out" it's in your car, ...or do you "risk" your safety to/from work and any errands along the way?...
Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
...you're not alone in that thinking...

...assuming your employer's lot is not a statutory CPZ, ...then the company policy is just that, ...a company policy... not criminal trespass but perhaps a risk to your employment there should the "bosses" find out...

...also, the "parking lot" legislation that has passed in many states recently, TN, IN, etc. seems to cause some consternation between "private property rights", ...basically that of a "landowner" vs. that of the employee, or "car owner"...

...again, assuming you're employer's lot is not a statutory CPZ, ...then it comes down to managing your risk... do you risk a problem w/ the employer should they "find out" it's in your car, ...or do you "risk" your safety to/from work and any errands along the way?...
yeah TN just passed one saying that the gun can stay in your car/truck even if employer does not allow them.

also they passed a law that if you have a HCP, you can have the gun in your car/truck on school grounds, but from what i understand it can not leave the car or truck at all. Which is great if you carry and need to pick up your kid or drop them off at school. before you could not even have it in the truck on school grounds.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
In Colorado you can legally open carry so if you have the gun within sight then its perfectly legal, But the law has alot of ins and outs that can screw you over if youre not aware of them.

CCW on the other hand isnt much of a problem carrying except in my experience you really want to make sure you remember where it is at ALL times. Dont put it somewhere that cant be reached without stretching around

Keep the weapon within hands reach at all times and you should be fine, I only say that because if you get pulled over and you tell the officer you have a weapon and you go reaching it for it way in the back or under the seat or something and the cop is going to be on EDGE sometimes its better to just let the police officer get the weapon.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyComa92 View Post
In Colorado you can legally open carry so if you have the gun within sight then its perfectly legal, But the law has alot of ins and outs that can screw you over if youre not aware of them.

CCW on the other hand isnt much of a problem carrying except in my experience you really want to make sure you remember where it is at ALL times. Dont put it somewhere that cant be reached without stretching around

Keep the weapon within hands reach at all times and you should be fine, I only say that because if you get pulled over and you tell the officer you have a weapon and you go reaching it for it way in the back or under the seat or something and the cop is going to be on EDGE sometimes its better to just let the police officer get the weapon.
Yeah you can open carry in TN. Thats why itís called a HCP here and not CCW or CCP. I donít think there is many ins and outs though.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
For some reason Open Carry here seems like a lot of trouble, You have to have certain areas of the handgun visible at all times like i know the trigger and a certain amount of the barrel HAS to be visible. Its weird, Basically if you have a handgun in a holster and its fully covered its considered Concealed. You cant have it in certain places i know like how you were talking about schools and government buildings.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #18

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
yeah TN just passed one saying that the gun can stay in your car/truck even if employer does not allow them.

also they passed a law that if you have a HCP, you can have the gun in your car/truck on school grounds, but from what i understand it can not leave the car or truck at all. Which is great if you carry and need to pick up your kid or drop them off at school. before you could not even have it in the truck on school grounds.
yep, ...was that the bill that was rejected by the TN court?... i could be getting things mixed up, but thought that it was either that or restaurant carry that ran into problems there?...
Old 04-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyComa92 View Post
The main "gotcha" is the Federal GFSZ law... and I can see there may be efforts to strengthen it in the wake of Newtown.

Whether a state allows LOC/UOC or not, federal law requires firearms to be unloaded in a locked container or locked mount (gun rack) when within 1000ft of a K12 school.
There is an exemption for those who possess a CCW/CHL/CWP... but the exemption ONLY applies in the state of issuance.
Having a Florida non-resident CCW permits one to carry concealed in some 20+ states, but it only provides an exemption to the Federal GFSZ law in Florida.
Likewise, Arizona, Vermont, and Alaska constitutional carry laws do not provide the exemption without the CHL.

Thankfully, it is a federal law, and I've never heard of it being enforced by local authorities other than incident to arrest on other charges. Even cases where people have been arrested under California 626.9 (California's own GFSZ law), they have not been charged under the Federal statutes.

As for carrying on school property, it depends on the state. California may be tough to obtain a CCW in many counties, but it does provide an exemption and allows loaded concealed carry pretty much anywhere except a bar or courthouse.
BUT... when the gun is not on the person, the same laws that apply to a non-permitted person apply to the permitted person. If he leaves his handgun in his car, it must be in a secure locking container and unloaded.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=vtrguy;6810578]As the title suggests, been playing around with a few ideas in my head to see how many of y'all carry in your trucks.

If so, what do you store it in and where are you storing it?
secret

&

arizona

CC is like 4wd, better to have it and not need it, then to not have it and need to use it