Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

need some help on rifle/ shotgun choice.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #41
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
damn. no i dont have a cabelas near me
Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #42
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Bill Brasky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
Same guns.
Be aware that Mossberg has cut some corners on the new 500's. They have the same "captive" action bars (captive to the mag tube/forend) as the Maverick shottys.

All this really means is that it's a bit shaky to cycle (not very solid feeling) and that you can't swap out forends w/o getting a 590 style mag tube-sleeve and action bars.

Just a heads-up.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #43
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
i would not recomend savage at all. from my experience they are cheaply made.
Ive always used remington model 700's in .243 7mm .08, and .270 and they are very acurate and very reliable.
I have to disagree. Not that Remington isn't better overall, but Savage makes a damn fine gun. Their triggers and accuracy trump their shitty stocks...b/c stocks can be replaced with very little money.

Next chance you get, compare a Savage trigger to a Remmy trigger...they're virtually identical (sans the accu-trigger adjustment).
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #44
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
Be aware that Mossberg has cut some corners on the new 500's. They have the same "captive" action bars (captive to the mag tube/forend) as the Maverick shottys.

All this really means is that it's a bit shaky to cycle (not very solid feeling) and that you can't swap out forends w/o getting a 590 style mag tube-sleeve and action bars.

Just a heads-up.
Interesting. I'll have to check one out next trip to Wallyworld. They still have two arms on the action slide assembly though, right? Not the single arm like the 88?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #45
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
well, packerfan, when you do this, i would be very interested in your opinion of the gun. i know mossberg makes good quality, but i would like to know if they are cutting corners. what about if i bought a used 500 from a pawn shop? would that be an ok thing to do.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #46
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
well, packerfan, when you do this, i would be very interested in your opinion of the gun. i know mossberg makes good quality, but i would like to know if they are cutting corners. what about if i bought a used 500 from a pawn shop? would that be an ok thing to do.
Both my Mossbergs were well used before I got them and they'll still be working when I'm not.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #47
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
ive owned a mossberg 500 and a remington 870 express synthetic. very very similar and either will be fine but im just a little more partial to my 870...it just feels better in my hands.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #48
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
Interesting. I'll have to check one out next trip to Wallyworld. They still have two arms on the action slide assembly though, right? Not the single arm like the 88?
Yep, 2 action bars, they are just molded into the forend. I just picked up a new 500 a few weeks back for HD, and didn't even pay attention until I went to put a Hogue stock on it.

I had to order this and this (bottom of list) to make the Hogue forend work. Works like a champ now...$45 later.