Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

AR-15 BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
AR-15 BS Thread

BS away all you BS'ers
Old 02-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Edit because Im stupid.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

But, Yes. I have an AR. Upper and lower made by Ameetec Arms.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
yote38 is on a distinguished road
yote38's Tacoma Gallery
First, you need to determine what you will be using the gun for, plinking, varmint hunting, home defense, etc. There are an endless array of configuations that you can go with. Answers to all of your questions can be found at AR-15.com. Also, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of photos of AR-15's in various configurations.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #5

yote38 is absolutly correct. I have always built my own, so I thought the question was about lower receivers and uppers.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dave
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
I have an armalite M-4, the little brother to the AR 15 but just as deadly. just keep it clean and it wont fail.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGEZR View Post
I have an armalite M-4, the little brother to the AR 15 but just as deadly. just keep it clean and it wont fail.
I wouldnt say the M-4 is the AR's little brother. The M-4 is a select fire with full auto/3 shot burst.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, a true M4 has select fire options. M4gerys are what civilian versions are usually referred as.

To the OP; generally speaking, one lower is as good as the next (depending on types of triggers). The uppers are where people tend to get picky. There are many good brands of uppers and a few that I'd steer clear of.
This is a good source of info (although it riles some people up):

This info was comprised by the good folks at M4carbine.net.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
Evans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ty
Evans381's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Rock River AR 15. The best!
Old 02-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #10
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I have one, but with a LWRC gas piston upper.

It's in one of these pics.........

http://erdept.smugmug.com/gallery/69...48410886_SbbHf
Old 02-22-2009, 02:47 AM   #12
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
I have one of the first 20 M6A2s.

Damn dude. I was late on getting in on the AR.

All my life my mentality was AK cause I like reliability. Then later, when they made the gas piston and worked, I switched.

The AR has the longest history of continuous usage of any US service weapon.

Sure the 03 and Garand are still in parade and arsenals and the M14 came and went, but is back again.

But the M16/AR is something like 40 years of use and still going. That says something.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:51 AM   #13
OlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry Platoon Leader, XO, AS3, 2d BN 503d INF (ABN) 173d ABCT, Army Aviator
OlyTacoma173's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Olympic Arms:

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?pag...hk=1&Itemid=37

Also, I might be wrong but someone once told me that to maintain the shorter look from the front sight post to the end of the muzzle, Armalite increases the length of the front hand-guard. Something to consider if you want to install a RAS in the future.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Colt? It's been a while since I've been in the market for a firearm but my Colt AR-15A2 H-Bar has performed flawlessly for 20ish years.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #15
Newbie here
GT_Taco will become famous soon enough

GT_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to GT_Taco Send a message via Yahoo to GT_Taco
I actually built my AR from the ground up... its a double star lower, rock river arms 24" stainless upper (made a varminter rifle), harris bi-pod, tactical grip, SOCOM telescoping stock...
link to the album...
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...822531&l=2d522

the rifle...
Old 02-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #16
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
LCW lower, CMMG upper (free floated), RRA NM 2 stager. I built it. Pretty much any brand you go with (barring a few) will work just fine. The great thing about the AR platform is that it is so modular. You can buy one or two built lowers and have as many different variations (varmint, space-gun, standard, carbine, SPR, etc, etc.) as you can think of with the simple removal of some pins.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #17
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I have the RRA NM trigger. It's one of the best I have encountered.

Seems to still last after many firings. Just dropped in for me.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #18
jjtnova is on a distinguished road

jjtnova's Tacoma Gallery
I have a doublestar lower, cmmg upper, its my first and I am gettign ready to start tinkering with it. I also recently bought a stripped mega lower and upper so i can build a rifle for benchrest shooting.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #19
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
My next build (minus the collapsible stock -- i like the standard ones). I will have to sell my truck to finance it though.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #20
Addicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the rough

Addicted's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, this is a slippery slope. You can't stop with just one! I'm partial to the LMT MRP myself.

I also have a Spike's lower w/ Sopmod stock, RRA LPK, and a Bravo Company upper w/ their BCG waiting to be assembled. Waiting on the last piece of the puzzle, buffer tube which is in the mail, to put her together.

Hell, why stop there? Get you a good AR-10 while you are at it. I did.

My LMT MRP

Products Discussed in this Thread