Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

cowboy boots,,when riding a horse.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
cowboy boots,,when riding a horse.

didnt know where to put this thread.

but i have a hunting scouting trip coming up in a few weeks. gonna take advantage and catch trout while i'm there.

we hired a horse team to ride us in as far as we can go in a day with enough time for the cowboy to get back out in a reasonable time. from there we jump off the horses, put on our packs and walk the rest of the way. when done, we wall all the way out. it will be ugly.

i am not a super-fan of horse riding. i do remember hiking boots in stirrups are foolish. thinking of buying cheap ropers, and letting the cowboy bring them back down for a $10 spot.

think cowboy boots are a neccesity? or save the money?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Cowboy boots do sit much better in a stirrup, but you should be okay with hiking boots as long as they aren't huge width wise. Just make sure to keep the weight towards your heels and adjust the stirrups to the right length. You should be alright
Old 05-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
10 dollar boots? ive ridden in hiking boots.. no issues.. as long as they have a heel..
however ive been wearing cowboy boots for awhile now when not at work,, man, I gotta say they are so comfertable.. got to get good ones tho..
Old 05-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't say cowboy boots are a necessity but I would be careful with hiking boots and only keep your toe on the stirrup. If something happens and you need to get off quick iv seen hiking boots get stuck. Hate to see a horse take off running down the mountain with someone dragging on the side because their boots didn't slide out.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtaco View Post
I wouldn't say cowboy boots are a necessity but I would be careful with hiking boots and only keep your toe on the stirrup. If something happens and you need to get off quick iv seen hiking boots get stuck. Hate to see a horse take off running down the mountain with someone dragging on the side because their boots didn't slide out.

good point.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtaco View Post
This OP^^^^ 100%,,,,, Can you see the slick ones on my feet
Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
Right tool for the job. If you're riding horses in, you can pack your hiking boots. Giving the guide some $$ to haul your cowboy (riding) boots out is a good idea IMO.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
LocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud of

Coast Guard: RDC Retired
Name: Don
LocoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I don't like horses either, they are always trying something sneaky, and I can envision the hiking boots getting caught up in the stirrups.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Have busted quite a few steers out of the brush here in Florida while wearing large, steel-toed work boots. I have dismounted in a hurry with no problems getting hung up.

The reason I wear the work boots is that there is a lot of work on the ground with getting the cows inoculated and run through the right chute. If one of those suckers steps on your toe wearing cowboy boots you are done for the day. Wearing steel-toed boots keeps me working.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
I'd vote for having the guide pack the boots back out. Lug soles in a stirrup is just a bad idea.