Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

how do you get deer/elk to your truck ?

Old 05-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Banned
denali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the shed
denali climber's Tacoma Gallery
how do you get deer/elk to your truck ?

what do you do if you shoot a deer or elk after hiking 1 or 2 miles away from your truck ?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Jake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Levi
Jake7's Tacoma Gallery
Quarter it and then make a few trips.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
Drag it. Unless it's open enough to get the 4 wheeler to it.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
I usually sit in the bed of my truck when hunting so it's always within distance
Old 05-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Plan on a long day and/or night of dragging if it's a blacktail or mulie <200lbs.

Anything bigger than that, it's getting quartered and packed out in several trips.

Also depends - is it "1" mile or "2" miles. That extra 5,280 feet means something there.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I just sit at my truck and whistle, calling out "Heeere deer deer deer! Come here Deer!" It hasn't worked out yet, but I have patience.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
you cannot drag an elk. aint gonna happen.

deer, yea. my rookie deer, like an idiot i dragged it for miles. now i would bone i out.

my elk. we boned out and four men carried it out. 125lb packs..it was life crushing weight.

our elk last year, there were only 3 of use. we quartered it and took two trips. maybe 90 lb packs.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
bucktales has a spectacular aura aboutbucktales has a spectacular aura about

bucktales's Tacoma Gallery
Used to drag deer,and still do. Since shoulder surgery a few years back, I picked up a deer cart. If I'm a few miles or less in the woods, I'll walk out and grab the cart. I usually drag to the nearest trail or logging road, then on the cart. Works pretty good for my needs.
If there's a lot of snow, I'll use one of those plastic, high sided ice fishing toboggans.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
you cannot drag an elk. aint gonna happen.

deer, yea. my rookie deer, like an idiot i dragged it for miles. now i would bone i out.

my elk. we boned out and four men carried it out. 125lb packs..it was life crushing weight.

our elk last year, there were only 3 of use. we quartered it and took two trips. maybe 90 lb packs.
This ^ anything more then a mile and I'm boning it out I'm not packing even a cow Elk out over a mile in quarters. Deer i would bone out as well that far back anything more then a few hundred yards and I'm boning it out ad a steep grade into that and it's getting boned out for sure. For the bull Elk we use horses to pack it out or 4wheelers if we can get them to it.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in Florida. We don't have elk and big deer here are not very big compared to other parts of the country. Usually not far from the truck but too narrow to do it any other way.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Banned
denali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the shed
denali climber's Tacoma Gallery
I am not experienced at cutting up big game. Plus, I hunt entirely in northwest Montana and if I cut up an animal and make a trip to my truck there is a good chance a large predator will be on the pile when I get back.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by denali climber View Post
I am not experienced at cutting up big game. Plus, I hunt entirely in northwest Montana and if I cut up an animal and make a trip to my truck there is a good chance a large predator will be on the pile when I get back.
youtube, gutless boning method. as an ethical hunter you really should bone up on your butchering skills..at least have some working ability to pull and animal apart. when we hiked the first load of elk out, wolves were howling. we were in the pitch dark when we showed up for the second load..it motivated us to motor out, fast.

predators dont bother me. approach smart. i've yet to encounter one..but montana has griz right? i'd glass it before i walked up to my second load in grizzly country.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Down here the deer aren't that big. And most places I can either almost get my truck there. Or I'll grab a 4wheeler and go get it
Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
My Dad raised me to hunt for food not fun. On a particularly bad day he would joke and say "it ain't hunting unless your miserable".

I don't want to spend extra money on hunting. So my tactic? Depends on the size of the deer and if my backpack is full of squirrels. I usually carry a regular doe. I might make a couple trips for a large doe or buck, but typically I will quarter and pack it.

If I have to make trips, I pepper the crap out of the meat and bags left behind. For some reason it seems to keep the flys away.

An elk? Many trips. I don't usually take an elk for this reason. I am only feeding two plus a few friends. Don't need all that extra.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
AZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
AZBACKCOUNTRY's Tacoma Gallery
Denali,
Buy this video , it will explain everything. No way to drag elk as everyone has stated.

Once you go "gutless" you never go back. Lol

Az
Old 05-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
My elk last year we drug probably 30-40ft. Soft pine needle forest floor and 3 guys. That was a combination of the elk running toward the truck after the shot and being able to get my Tacoma pretty close. I backed to a small 4' shelf and drug the Elk the remaining distance. The other guy in camp that got one was able to get his truck within a few feet to load as well. Maybe just lucky.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #17
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Quad. If I cant get to it on the quad, ill cut a trail.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
even if you drive up to an elk, you are not lifting it into the back.

my secret NM spot borders the hotspot in that state. literally, you stand on the fence line and look it. it is stunning. we saw brown dots everywhere. they were thick. my friend that had no tag, but was helpful enough just to come along for free meat said the dumbest thing. he said, "let climb this fence run over there, shoot one and drag it back over the fence". errr...no.

no effen way. we did the next best thing. we called them hoping they would just walk over onto public land. nope, but one behind us did. i literally flip 180 degrees and dropped a huge bull. all the whooping and hollering..high fiving ended abruptly when my brother said. "holy shit, that thing is huge!"..mine died in a ravine with a tiny spring running water under that thing. we had to butcher it right there in the water. best time of my life.

hiking out, a buddy muttered.."oh, god. i think i've lost the will to live"..he was a muscular SWAT guy. the packs were crushing.

i love elk hunting. with a passion. it is why i bought my truck.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
TanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to all

Name: James
TanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Elk; usually quarter it up while leaving the guts in, if its downhill to the truck and snow on the ground I will usually grab a couple friends and drag it to the truck.
Deer; haven't had to quarter one out yet, I'm usually in a decent enough spot where 3 or 4 of us can switch off dragging it back.