Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

12 gauge for every game in north America ?

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
El Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shed
El Chip's Tacoma Gallery
12 gauge is perfect for Alaskan king crab. I believe it is the recommended way to hunt them. I cod fish regularly in my bath tub with my 12 guage and solid copper slugs.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #22
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Completely depends on the shotgun and the round used. Properly set-up, a slug can be accurate at a pretty good distance.
Could be done, and I hear of slugs with good ballistic profiles and flechette rounds etc but if I ever see a shotty with a real optical scope I'm going to snicker.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #23
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
Could be done, and I hear of slugs with good ballistic profiles and flechette rounds etc but if I ever see a shotty with a real optical scope I'm going to snicker.
Yeah, it's not ideal but it can be done. Some of the nicer slug guns are rifled and can accurately put a slug into a target at a good distance in the hands of a decent shooter. Shotguns are very versatile, good all-rounders. Not the perfect distance gun but can get the job done if need be.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #24
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chip View Post
12 gauge is perfect for Alaskan king crab. I believe it is the recommended way to hunt them. I cod fish regularly in my bath tub with my 12 guage and solid copper slugs.
Interesting.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #25
El Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shed
El Chip's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
I deer hunt with a Savage 20 gauge bolt action slug gun. With a 2x red dot on it. Lots of guys scope them, very accurate, I can shoot half inch groups at 100 yards with it easily, and under 2" with Remington Accutips. Lots of guys scope them. I am debating switching to a 4x fixed power for next year. The Savage bolt shot guns come drilled and tapped for scopes...

Old 06-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #26
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chip View Post
I deer hunt with a Savage 20 gauge bolt action slug gun. With a 2x red dot on it. Lots of guys scope them, very accurate, I can shoot half inch groups at 100 yards with it easily, and under 2" with Remington Accutips. Lots of guys scope them. I am debating switching to a 4x fixed power for next year. The Savage bolt shot guns come drilled and tapped for scopes...
Some states are slug gun only for deer. Ask Illinois hunters about scoping shotguns, they'll have plenty of experience.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #27
El Chip's Tacoma Gallery
We have certain areas that are shotgun only, and in other areas they have a separate season for deer hunting for blackpowder and shotgun. The last few years the spot I have been at has been shotgun only for deer, and every year we we end up with meat.

Closed Thread