1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I drew my weapon in self defense: Gun owners & Dog Walkers

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Specalt, May 28, 2013.

1. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:27 PM
    LAoffroadin

LAoffroadin BURY ME WITH MY TACO!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 offroad 4x4
    ICON stage 5 coilers w/ ICON ucas, dakar leaf pack with Fox rears, k&n cai, LED cab light, raceline 16 inch wheels , toyo m/t 33",painted front yota emblem gloss white, retrofit headlights with mirrimoto 3 " lenses running the 6k headlights. Bhlm, bestopper, wet okole seat covers (max 4), weather tech mats,winch with piaa fogs. All pro apex front bumper. Sliders etc

well hell there goes all the fun in these threads! :argue: + :brianr:=:cheers:

2. Jun 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    Specalt

Specalt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD 4x4

I think this is very responsible of you as a gun owner. I did not carry until recently. I felt the same way as you. I waited until I had the proper course work done and felt I was responsible enough to handle that type of liability.

The funny thing with this is my wife is big anti gun just one step away from a tree hugging hippie animal lover. Lets just say gun topics at my home are discussed well.

Before this instance at the park my wife sort made fun of me and scoffed when I would belt on my gun. The day after this happened she said she would have shot that dog. She is now showing interest in learning how to use a gun. I hit the floor when she told me this.

I know why she is agents firearms and I can't say that I blame her. I would say she has a lagitamate reason to fear them. I on the other hand have been held at gunpoint twice. Once when I was 17 as a cashier at Blimpies and once when I was in a bank in my 20's. I vowed that day to never be a victim again.

It has taken me over 10 years to want or be ready to carry. I am glad now that I do.

3. Jun 8, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.

LOL. Oh, so this is your wife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFB7bGCAgc

4. Jun 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    225nontypical

225nontypical ????????????

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    bilstein 5100's weather tech floor mats katskinz leather heated seats
    well I got the privilege of having another dog issue while running. this time I was only about 2 blocks from my house taking my walker hound on a little run when another dog came charging at us. the owner of the other dog did nothing he just stood there and looked at me. to bad his dog probably has some broken ribs now. his dog went straight for mine. I yelled get your dog! but got no reaction out of him, so when he did nothing I gave it a nice boot to the side. that sent the dog running. at that point the guy yelled at the dog "get inside". im not going to let another dog tear into mine. my dog is a well behaved mild mannered dog, he did not want to fight nor did he show any aggressive posture. If your going to have your dog off leash (even if its in your front yard) you better dang well have control of it.

5. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    ^^ Many buy dogs for "protection," so don't really want to restrain the dog all that much when it acts aggressively towards others (human or animal). After all, that's exactly what they bought the dog for. As a result, many will openly or subtly encourage aggressive behavior, the latter often claiming they didn't know the dog was that aggressive (while trying to contain their smiles). And a few will even become empowered by that, acting aggressively themselves (at least while the dog is around). With that in mind, it's really not hard to see why some owners would just stand there and passively watch their dog go after others.

6. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM
    225nontypical

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    well I hope he enjoyed the vet bill that is if he even bothered to take it in. I can tell you the dog was hurting. I tried to give him a chance. the next time it might be my knife instead of my foot which is sad to me. but I cant take the chance with my kids walking my dog or even my wife walking my dogs. stupid people just piss me off. its hard to blame a dog when the owners are the stupid ones!

7. Jun 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Get some "Halt". You can buy it at bike stores or online. Works great and you don't have to let the dog get that close. Doesn't hurt the dog, just makes him change his mind about coming your direction. Not fair to hurt the dog when the owner is a dip S(*t.

8. Jun 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    Specalt

Specalt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD 4x4

I am glad you or your dog did not get hurt.

9. Jun 19, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    DSB4UA

DSB4UA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    SSM PreRunner 2nd gen 4.0L
    So long story short, you kicked a dog for no reason, with no backup other than 'it was charging, and went straight for mine'...but somehow your dog keeps it's cool during the situation but YOU cant?

My third quote below speaks all I need to say about this nonsense.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  10. Jun 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    Whiskey Neat

Whiskey Neat Loading....

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Key Largo
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCSB
    None yet
    Sounds to me like he had a perfectly good reason. A dog off a leash, charging toward you is an unknown quantity. I don't want to pay vet bills for either dog if a fight ensues, or at worst have my dog killed. I would have done the exact same thing.

As for the person not keeping cool while their dog did... that assumes a dog has human like thoughts, which is a false assumption. I have a very passive dog who, despite being large, would not react to a charging dog displaying agressive behavior until actually attacked, at which point it would be too late.

11. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    225nontypical

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    ok let me explain this is little more. I waited until his dog was ON my dog! before that happened I was positioning myself between the 2 of them. which was hard since my dog was trying to get away from the situation by pull away from me. so I think I did a very good job of keeping my cool. I was not in a panic and I thought my way through it. I have dealt with lots of dogs and instead of grabbing his dog and getting bit myself I choose to give it a kick.
    I wont apologize for that I believe I did the right thing, had I kicked the dog before that then maybe

12. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    DSB4UA

DSB4UA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    No sir, it assumes the same thing you are saying, that it does NOT have human like thoughts, but has natural ANIMAL instinctive thoughts.

EDIT:

OK man, maybe so. It just doesn't read like that is all, and I have a hard time believing it because I've dealt with many dogs myself. All I will say further is that if it was ON your dog as you say, your dog would have fought back naturally instead of taking it, which you claim didnt. Much like you would fight back if somebody hit you more than likely... I won't fault you for breaking it up if that is/was the case, but the way it reads isn't like that.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  13. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    225nontypical

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    did you not read the part just above you last post where I said my dog was trying to get away and once the other dog was ON my dog that is when i made the decision to remove it using my foot.
    my dog is very submissive when it come to other dogs. he let a 10 week old puppy bully him. so you can stop make all those assumptions you are making! you weren't there I was and I would do it again the same way if put in that situation again.

the whole point to my post was people need to either control there pets or face what may happen.
    if your dog wont listen to you off leash then you dog should not be off leash.

14. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    DSB4UA

DSB4UA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    Original post just says 'too bad it has broken ribs blah blah blah' all you said was 'it was charging and went straight for mine, so i kicked it' period. Now after being questioned, 'well it was on my dog and I couldnt get them to break it up...' Funny how that works. 'Yeah, i shot that mother f*cker, officer'....so you murdered him? "well officer, he had told me he was going to kill me and I thought he had a gun..." See how that sounds?

15. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    225nontypical

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    no not really, I do see I was not to in-depth in my first post, but I never said I could not break them up I said I chose to kick the dog instead of grabbing it because I did not want to get bit, had I grab it I would have.

16. Jun 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Guy, if a dog is off it's leash and charging at people, their pets, or whatever, I have no problem whatsoever with anyone using it as a football. Neither does the law. Much of this thread has focused on how people should be free to walk down a street (or in a park, or etc) without fear or concern of being attacked by stray animals. To sum it up, if you don't want your animal kicked, or even potentially shot with a firearm, keep it on a leash and well under control. Those who fail at that very simple, basic, requirement should criticize themselves, not others.

17. Jun 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    ^ this.

18. Jun 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    Whiskey Neat

Whiskey Neat Loading....

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Key Largo
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCSB
    None yet
    Agreed!

19. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +3

20. Jun 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    I am a dog owner and have been all my life and agree with this wholeheartedly.

Products Discussed in

To Top