Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

I drew my weapon in self defense: Gun owners & Dog Walkers

Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #41
Specalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Did you read the story!?

Brian's an avid shooter and a responsible gun owner!

If you fear for your safety, measures need to be taken! Fuck the dog and their owner...they're lucky Brian did keep a level head...someone else may not have.
Thanks for your support. I know most people wont know my background. We need to hit the lake again for those big cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
I carry when out walking.
People are goofy and have no idea about dog training for a lot of them.
I would really really hate to fire on a dog attacking me, but sometimes it is the only way out.

You did the best thing you could at the time.
I picked up a pepper spray for my wife when she walks with her trainer as they are both skeered of dogs.

I really need to reconsider the pepper spray. Lesson learned for me.

I just bought an expandable baton also as a deterent to aggressive animals.
I would hate to wave a stick at a mad dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTacosRule View Post
He said he never had his finger on the trigger...

You did the right thing OP.
Thanks for your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansomFTW View Post
Just to be the asshole. Maybe the dog sensed that you were a threat because you had a weapon and were in fear? I wasnt there, but it seems like you had the intention of showing agression and dogs can sense that.

BUT putting that aside, i think you handled the situation in the best way that you could have. No one was hurt and those owners will never have that dog off leash again.
I can definitely see how this looks like aggression. I cant say that it is not. But I don't think the dog knows the difference between a squeaker and a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
To be the counter asshole, if you can't control your dog verbally, they have no right being off leash. If you have an aggressive-natured dog, it's the owner's responsiblity to keep them from doing other people harm on public property. Even if the dog had sensed aggression, it shouldn't have been loose to go after anyone.

I also think the situation was handled well but would second the question as to why you wouldn't carry pepper spray if the concern is wildlife. If I had been in your situation with pepper spray, the dog would have gotten it and learned a valuable, non-life threatening lesson in the process, same with any other potential wildlife threat. If you're in an unsafe area, carry the gun but if the thread is wildlife, I'd personally rather carry pepper spray unless you're talking about big predators (in which case a handgun likely won't be enough to stop them anyways).
It is not just the wildlife. I have been attacked by random dogs. In this case this was the first time I had seen this dog and this set of people. There are people I see every time I am out. the same people have there dog off leash and the same dog(s) run up to me every time with out incident. this time I felt some thing was different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
wut
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARAHOLIC View Post
how long does it take to move your finger to the trigger and pull it?....he said he was one more 'CKING DOG' from shooting; says he had tunnel vision.... so, say the dog owner was a second slower in leaping for his dog! OP says he locked eyes with the dog! The dog has no idea what a gun is or what it can do- the drawn gun is not a deterrent in this case! The OP did not get bit, had the OP not unholstered would he have gotten bit? I doubt it! To me, drawing down on a dog that I end up NOT shooting is thereby not worth the substantial added risk to my future freedom and resources.
You are totally right. For me from drawing a wepon to finger on the trigger was CKING DOG then I would have shot. No question in my mind. The guy was litery 0.5 seconds away from being shot if he was in front of his dog as I pulled the trigger. I am glad it did not come tho that. I can say once I dew my weapon I was willing to accept any consequence there of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
you were wrong.
You might have a point. Go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansomFTW View Post
Ya eye contact is a sign of agression but, that shouldnt have triggered the dog to attack
I agree. If I had kept running and did not square off with the dog I do believe the dog would have lunged. There was not verbal command that I remember hearing from the owner. I think they were just as shocked as I was when it came after me.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #42
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dogs are not the only critter that is a possible threat, lot's of two legged animals as well.
Exactly...all sorts of Jody Arias's running loose in AZ
Old 05-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #43
Specalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
if im not mistaken, OP was never attacked by this dog...
I do believe that had I kept running I would have become a chew toy. When I stop running and squared off with the dog The dog went defensive and started barking and gnashing its teeth. When I extended my firearm the dog went to a growl. That's when the guy was on his dog. I believe had I moved or recoiled I would have been bit.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #44
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dogs are not the only critter that is a possible threat, lot's of two legged animals as well.
I got your point,but OP knew the area,he knew there's school zone,where kids could have been hurt or worse...what I'm saying is you have to responsible for your actions. Sure freedom to bare arm to a certain degree,limitations and such. Can't be carry gun like there's no laws and respect for others. This's just my.02
Old 05-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #45
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
by the way there is no such thing as a "leash law" it is a city/town ordinance and is not a criminal or civil violation.

Really, it's a state statute, not a city/town ordinance.

Citation: AZ ST § 11-1012
Old 05-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #46
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

Quote:
no shit it's a right protected by the second amendment but that does not explain WHY he packs heat when jogging
x2
Old 05-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #47
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specalt View Post
I do believe that had I kept running I would have become a chew toy. When I stop running and squared off with the dog The dog went defensive and started barking and gnashing its teeth. When I extended my firearm the dog went to a growl. That's when the guy was on his dog. I believe had I moved or recoiled I would have been bit.
I guess we can agree to disagree, but had you just stopped running when the dog first start running over to you, and you tried to be nice to it, i dont think youd be posting about it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Blk_one View Post
I got your point,but OP knew the area,he knew there's school zone,where kids could have been hurt or worse...what I'm saying is you have to responsible for your actions. Sure freedom to bare arm to a certain degree,limitations and such. Can't be carry gun like there's no laws and respect for others. This's just my.02
OP can carry a gun wherever he wants, anyways, thats not the issue so stop arguing a point no one cares about and learn how to use grammar.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #48
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no shit it's a right protected by the second amendment but that does not explain WHY he packs heat when jogging
Here is AZ, we are allowed to carry in almost any manner and way we would like.

I carry ALL the time, bicycle riding, running, out walking, shopping with family, restaurants, driving down the road..... I have yet to know of a criminal calling ahead and making a reservation. You can not predict when you or someone else's life will be in danger. Running in the desert.... coyotes. Driving down the road... naked men carjacking people.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #49

Quote:

OP can carry a gun wherever he wants, anyways, thats not the issue so stop arguing a point no one cares about and learn how to use grammar.
Ha..ha..who talkin' a bout grammarr? we're talkin' about tha dang dog...lighten up dude...I'm only BS
Old 05-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #50
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Kids getting hurt? So because there is a school somewhere near by, and a one in a million chance a bullet will hit a kid, this guy cannot protect himself against something that should severely injure or kill him? I'm sorry, but that's crazy.

I don't blame the OP one bit!!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #51
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I guess we can agree to disagree, but had you just stopped running when the dog first start running over to you, and you tried to be nice to it, i dont think youd be posting about it right now.
I think this is a difference in opinion based on different state's laws and attitude by LEOs. If PD had been called in, I think it could have gone either way, depending on the opinion of the officer(s) responding. The OP could have easily gotten an att-a-boy and everyone moved on, or both parties could have been sighted/arrested and left to a judge to sort it all out.

I personally will not stop and try to be nice to a dog that I do not know, without first talking to the owners, as I have no idea of the dog's personality. Also, if it showed any signs of aggression, I am sure as hell not going to give the dog the chance to do anything.

I have owned GS and love them, but there is a reason some PDs/military use them, they are strong as hell.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #52
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipskip View Post
I think this is a difference in opinion based on different state's laws and attitude by LEOs. If PD had been called in, I think it could have gone either way, depending on the opinion of the officer(s) responding. The OP could have easily gotten an att-a-boy and everyone moved on, or both parties could have been sighted/arrested and left to a judge to sort it all out.

I personally will not stop and try to be nice to a dog that I do not know, without first talking to the owners, as I have no idea of the dog's personality. Also, if it showed any signs of aggression, I am sure as hell not going to give the dog the chance to do anything.

I have owned GS and love them, but there is a reason some PDs/military use them, they are strong as hell.
im not blaming either parties, i think there is a case of equal mis-judgement in this sitation on both sides. However, i understand dogs slip their collars, its happened to me before, i am just lucky my puppy stays right next to me ALL the time anyways, and doesnt need a leash. I also understand, being attacked previously, specalt is somewhat afraid of dogs. in my opinion, let it bite you before you do shit like that in the future, as in that case, you get to use your gun, and will get a huge payday out of it.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #53
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
im not blaming either parties, i think there is a case of equal mis-judgement in this sitation on both sides. However, i understand dogs slip their collars, its happened to me before, i am just lucky my puppy stays right next to me ALL the time anyways, and doesnt need a leash. I also understand, being attacked previously, specalt is somewhat afraid of dogs. in my opinion, let it bite you before you do shit like that in the future, as in that case, you get to use your gun, and will get a huge payday out of it.
Good luck with that technique!! I'll prevent the physical injury and skip the payday...and be completely justified.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #54
GEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KELLEN
GEARAHOLIC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipskip View Post
Here is AZ, we are allowed to carry in almost any manner and way we would like.

I carry ALL the time, bicycle riding, running, out walking, shopping with family, restaurants, driving down the road..... I have yet to know of a criminal calling ahead and making a reservation. You can not predict when you or someone else's life will be in danger. Running in the desert.... coyotes. Driving down the road... naked men carjacking people.
I have lived in AZ previously and was familiar with the laws during that time, before then and now. You missed my point. I was trying to convey that the response of 'because it's a right' is a stupid response!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #55
ToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura about
Name: Dane
ToyTacosRule's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea OP, let the dog maul you before you pull your gun next time...

Edit: I would love to meet the person that would rather be mauled by a dog than prevent it from happening.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #56
N7MCS

Quote:
I have lived in AZ previously and was familiar with the laws during that time, before then and now. You missed my point. I was trying to convey that the response of 'because it's a right' is a stupid response!
I don't carry because its a right, I carry because I am the first defense for myself and my family.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #57
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
why do you carry gun when you go joggin'. Shouldn't a stick or Barton ,pepper spray do the job? What if you're joggin's and the gun went off and shot your balls of,what then?
because America
Old 05-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #58

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
do you still jog 3 times a week in the phx summers?

nice move on the dog..i've been chased before. i cant carry. i almost had to stab a pit once. i skidmarked my shorts for sure.

i hate dog owners that dont "know" their dogs. some dogs should be leashed..some even muzzled.
I do run when it is 100+ in the summer I go out in the evening at dusk, That is when every one else is out'n'about. It is also prime time for desert critters. I even saw a horned owl last night.. There larger than i thought. Totally bad ass bird.

Quote:
i never read anywhere in the OP that the dog bit his heels. i read that his heels hit the dog from him running and not stopping. i agree the dog shouldve been on a leash. at the same time, using that kind of force... you better be able to articulate to a reasonable person that if you had not shot the dog or pulled your gun, the situation wouldve ended with you or someone else getting injured by the dog. and i dont think, based on the OP, that specalt could do that.

by the way there is no such thing as a "leash law" it is a city/town ordinance and is not a criminal or civil violation.
The dog did not bite me it only made contact with my shoe. That is when I turned and drew. Now did the dog miss his bit at my shoe or calf? I dont know I think it could been adrenalin black out or some thing.. I don't remember looking at the dog as I was turning. Just that I had turned around my gun was in my had and I was staring at the dog with my vision starting to narrow. Had the dog not touched me would I have done the same. I don't think I would have.

Quote:
why do you carry gun when you go joggin'. Shouldn't a stick or Barton ,pepper spray do the job? What if you're joggin's and the gun went off and shot your balls of,what then?
I carry when I go to the ATM, I carry when I go out shopping. I carry just about all the time. The only time I don't is when I am at work. I work on Indian land in a building that has a bank. If I were cough caring here I would be locked up in federal prison with a minimum of 4 federal charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
Because its his constitutional right to do so.
Damn straight!

Quote:
yeah OP what then?
I guess then I would be a eunuch? The gun I carry has a safety built into it so if it is dropped it can not go off unless the trigger is pulled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
What if that happened any old time?? Properly holstered functional weapon shouldn't just go off because you are on a jog. Don't come in here and try to stir up shit for no reason.

OP - Did you report the incident to the police? I was involved in something similar, except it was a group of people advancing on me and after I disengaged from the situation - my delay in calling the police worked against me during the interview process, to a minor degree.

Get a report on file about the incident, imo.
I did not. I really never thought of that until you brought it up. I will take your advice and call them when I go home.

Quote:
I carry because of stray dogs and wildlife. You just never know what you will need or what situation you will find your self in. There has also been a string of pervs trying to abduct people here. There were 2 kidnapping attempts of female joggers in less than a week. Do I run this risk. No.. But I do run with my wife. there are times were we are a few hundred feet apart. If I find my self in that situation I don't know what I will do. I try to think about it so I can prepare my self if it does happen. I also carry a bottle of water. Not that I will get thirsty but you never know.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #59
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No wonder cops usually dont give chase on foot, there afraid there gun might go off if they run. Maybe a whistle might be better. I dont think some of you negative folks get off the couch and outdoors very often.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #60
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
do you still jog 3 times a week in the phx summers?

nice move on the dog..i've been chased before. i cant carry. i almost had to stab a pit once. i skidmarked my shorts for sure.

i hate dog owners that dont "know" their dogs. some dogs should be leashed..some even muzzled.
It's the dog owners that should be leashed and muzzled in many cases. Dogs are a reflection of their owners and the training (or lack of training) they received.

Quote:
Proper holster should prevent accidental discharge. Also, if that's a concern, don't jog with a round chambered.

Quote:
I've been bitten before by a German Shepard and I would not want to go through it again. They are very strong dogs. I was young and it chased me on my bike, grabbed the back of my leg and dragged me off the bike. Fortunately, it backed off after that and ran away. There was no payday that came out of it and it hurt like hell. Not everyone is looking to sue someone to make a quick buck. Plus, if the dog already has a hold on you, you might not be able to draw your weapon and, if you do, you might end up disfigured as a result of the bites.