LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

need optics for my AR

Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
in2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 4/27th FA... MLRS.... Wertheim Germany
Name: James
in2nite's Tacoma Gallery
need optics for my AR

I looking to buy a 1-4x24 optic for my AR. I'm looking at the Mueller speed dot and the leather wood cmr. Has anyone used these optics or can you give me other options. I have an aim point but want a little magnification. I want to stay in the 2-400 dollar range. Thanx.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Thought about doing a 3x magnifier?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
5.56 is on a distinguished road
5.56's Tacoma Gallery
Burris MTAC/TAC30 woukd be right up your alley. I've been happy with the one I have mounted to one of my rifles.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
in2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

in2nite's Tacoma Gallery
I've looked at the Burris that was right in my range. Didn't know if they were any good. Because of that reflex red dot it comes with. The scopes I saw that had it attached were garbage so I really didn't look at it. I'll go take a peek.

Andrew for the 3x magnifier, don't remember the brand, the sight pic distorted with my glasses.

Thanx
Old 06-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Never seen a 1-4 scope before, let us know how it goes.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LaRue Shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Probably the best thing going for under $500 right now is the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x. Vortex has a great product and they have what is probably the best warranty in the business. I've heard the CMR's are nice, but have no experience with them.

Just remember, you have to pick up a good mount as well.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
5.56 is on a distinguished road
5.56's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue Shooter View Post
Probably the best thing going for under $500 right now is the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x. Vortex has a great product and they have what is probably the best warranty in the business. I've heard the CMR's are nice, but have no experience with them.

Just remember, you have to pick up a good mount as well.
I'll second Vortex being a great brand. Their scopes are great quality, and the warranty is unbeatable. And of course a nice LaRue mount is perfect, but a cheaper one i've been pleased with on my wife's rifle is the PEPR quick disconnect mount.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #8

in2nite's Tacoma Gallery
SWFA SSALT mount came today
Attached Thumbnails
need optics for my AR-img-20130606-00361.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
EZ Bake is on a distinguished road
EZ Bake's Tacoma Gallery
Primary Arms makes a good red-dot on a budget - their scope-mounts are often overlooked, but very well made and hold-zero through some fairly serious use/abuse (though, they've gone up in price a lot since they started selling them). If you want a step-up, there's the Nikon mounts, the Burris PEPPER or SWFA SSALT, and a step up from that gets you into ADM and LaRue territory.

Nikon and Bushnell both make very good budget-friendly AR-specific optics (Bushnell's is called the AR-Optics series and Nikon's is the P-223 series). A lot of folks don't give Bushnell credit for anything but a cheaper optic, but when it comes to budget optics, they have a very good reputation in the <$200 market for etched glass (now, their red-dots on the other hand have had a few rough patches). Leupold also makes a Shotgun scope with a cool Turkey Plex reticle on it that was supposed to actually be a decent entry scope for running carbine matches or 3-gun.

Vortex makes a very good 1-4x scope when you step up to the next level. Burris and Leupold also make good optics in the $200-$500 range.

Keep in mind that until you get to around $1000 scopes, your variable-power scopes that say "1x" aren't going to be a true 1x - so if you try and use it with front irons, they will be blurry/fuzzy. If that's not a concern, then your options are wide open at your budget.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #10

in2nite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Bake View Post
Primary Arms makes a good red-dot on a budget - their scope-mounts are often overlooked, but very well made and hold-zero through some fairly serious use/abuse (though, they've gone up in price a lot since they started selling them). If you want a step-up, there's the Nikon mounts, the Burris PEPPER or SWFA SSALT, and a step up from that gets you into ADM and LaRue territory.

Nikon and Bushnell both make very good budget-friendly AR-specific optics (Bushnell's is called the AR-Optics series and Nikon's is the P-223 series). A lot of folks don't give Bushnell credit for anything but a cheaper optic, but when it comes to budget optics, they have a very good reputation in the <$200 market for etched glass (now, their red-dots on the other hand have had a few rough patches). Leupold also makes a Shotgun scope with a cool Turkey Plex reticle on it that was supposed to actually be a decent entry scope for running carbine matches or 3-gun.

Vortex makes a very good 1-4x scope when you step up to the next level. Burris and Leupold also make good optics in the $200-$500 range.

Keep in mind that until you get to around $1000 scopes, your variable-power scopes that say "1x" aren't going to be a true 1x - so if you try and use it with front irons, they will be blurry/fuzzy. If that's not a concern, then your options are wide open at your budget.
Thanx for the info...
Old 07-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
Rockbmx1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
Rockbmx1's Tacoma Gallery
Get the Optisan Mamba 1-4x from SWFA! That scope is awesome!!!! I've used several scopes on my ar, and this is no doubt the best bang for the buck under $500. I have another ar with a ta11 ACOG, and I find myself wanting to shoot my ar with this optic more 90% of the time. I've had eotech's with magnifiers, vortex viper 1-4x, Nikon 223 scope, and a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x on my ar's too. Trust me, you can't go wrong with the optisan mamba, especially at the price point with mount.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i've heard nikon's are pretty good for the money...