Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

What is this WWII german k98 worth?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
What is this WWII german k98 worth?

So I picked up this gun the other day at a garage sale in WY, and was just wondering how good of a deal i got. It is an all numbers matching 1943 german k98 mauser. It has the iron eagle (eagle holding swastika) stamped on in a few times. The only problem is I think someone modified the stock. Even tho the stock has matching numbers as well. How much do you think this gun is worth?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
whys the rum gone
snowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
snowtank's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the stock looks shorter. The barrel comes out pretty far on it. Thats strange. But anyway. I sell hem for 250-300 bucks
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtank View Post
Yeah the stock looks shorter. The barrel comes out pretty far on it. Thats strange. But anyway. I sell hem for 250-300 bucks
Even with numbers matching, swastika, and no import or capture marks?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
whys the rum gone
snowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah i sold one with the same marks and matching numbers for $299.99 a couple months ago. Its a mass produced firearm. It might be worth more to a collector cause of those marks. And with how century arms is getting taxed more and cant ship firearms into the country like they use to, could cause it to be worth more as well. But personally i would just keep it. They are fun to shoot and its just a pretty badass peice of history.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
whys the rum gone

Another way to check relics for price is to do some research on the serial number(original serial number) and see if was owned by a general high ranking officer etc. That could make it worh thousands. And if it doesnt have any capture marks and all that stuff like you said than i would check into. Who knows you might have hitlers k98.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
The cut job on the stock really drops the value. If the original wood was uncut, I could see it in the $400+ range. Bubba'd like that (even bubba'd nicely), half, maybe a little more.

Assuming the bore is in good shape, ME and TE are within acceptable limits and it headspaces OK, it's definitely a keeper/shooter. It would be a little difficult to return it to WWII appearance. Even with a proper stock, the front sight hood and cleaning rod are missing. Also, I'm pretty sure the bayonet lug has been chopped off (but I honestly can't remember if it's integral to the front band/stock or the barrel and I'm not home to check one).

It'll kill plenty of deer, bears, elk, moose and anything else in North America. Enjoy the hell out of it and have fun!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
bigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 9SFS
Name: Jared
bigtaco06's Tacoma Gallery
It looks like the stocks where sporterized (cut down to be shorter and wiegh less). But still the action looks clean and its the "mouser action" I wouldnt let that go for less than 350-400 bucks. Find you some 8mm mouser and go shoot it if its in working condition! Out of all the bolt guns of that era the k98 is my favorite with the springfield 1908 (almost a copy) in second. Last summer my grandfather handed a spanish mouser down to me. Old bolt guns are a blast to shoot and are very acurate. Have fun with it.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
Being a milsurp guy myself you have to research. You will have to talk to Mauser guys to get a idea what you have.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
'merica

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtank View Post
Another way to check relics for price is to do some research on the serial number(original serial number) and see if was owned by a general high ranking officer etc. That could make it worh thousands. And if it doesnt have any capture marks and all that stuff like you said than i would check into. Who knows you might have hitlers k98.
where would one go to do such a thing like that at?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
I'd ask these guys http://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php They are problably a bit more knowledgeable on the rifle
Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
whys the rum gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreidTaco View Post
where would one go to do such a thing like that at?
Online would be a good place to start. Its a lot of work and reading to find hings like that. You have to check history on generals and offficers on the weapons they carried. Im sure there are books too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
I'd ask these guys http://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php They are problably a bit more knowledgeable on the rifle
Yeah i would check with these guys too.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.gunboards.com/

Although not Mauser specific this is another good milsurp forum.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #13
Mr.Gadget is on a distinguished road

Mr.Gadget's Tacoma Gallery
They sell around here like that in the 200-250 range.

The problem is you are missing the rest of the stock with the Bayo lug, also missing the handguard and bands.

You could find a stock and handguard, also find the bands and cleaning rod.
You will never make it worth much adding the parts as nothing will match and a stock runs 100-140$ for a good one, maybe more, handguards are 30-60$.

So in short you have a good plinker pending the barrel. But not worth much.