Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

gun holsters

Old 06-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Pannell_Trd is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
Pannell_Trd's Tacoma Gallery
gun holsters

what's a good gun holster for carrying my 9mm on me?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
In the waist band or outside the waist band?

I'm digging the gcode incog holster for iwb. For otw I like the otg kydex holster. If you are looking for retention for otw look at the gcode xst
Old 06-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
i picked up a kydex, only complaint is you may have to put it in the oven @ 300F for 2 min and fit it to your gun for a tight fit.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It doesn't have an adjustable retention?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
It doesn't have an adjustable retention?
no
Old 06-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
double dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Derrick
double dee's Tacoma Gallery
http://theisholsters.com

I give them a 5 out of 5 review. Fast turn around time (around 10-14 days) to custom make your holster, great customer service and reasonable prices. Also a lifetime warranty as well.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I really like Galco Gun Leather for OWB.
For concealed, either the Crossbreed Supertuck, or the Galco King Tuck.

For OWB in a polymer, Blackhawk Serpa is a nice retention paddle holster.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
Greg Graffin 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
no
I had a few kydex in the past and they had an adjustment screw I front of the trigger guard. You can adjust the retention tightness and overall holster tightness.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Are you looking for BRAND ??

Because, if you're asking for 'type' - you've got a lot of things to think about.

Over waistband? Under the waistband? Tuckable? Soft/leather? Hard shelled? There are holsters for around your shoulder, holsters for your ankles, holsters for in your pocket.... How do you carry? Right handed? Left handed? Appendix carry? Side draw? Cross draw? Back draw?

Sorry, had to mention it.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
In the waist band or outside the waist band?

I'm digging the gcode incog holster for iwb. For otw I like the otg kydex holster. If you are looking for retention for otw look at the gcode xst
probably gonna get one for outside the waist band
Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
My favorite IWB are:

Super Tuck Deluxe

CompTac Minotaur MTAC

My favorite OWB is:

Galco Yaqui Slide
Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannell_Trd View Post
probably gonna get one for outside the waist band
Why limit yourself? Order your holster plus IWB and OWB belt loops and experiment. I know Steve (ColoradoHolster.com) does this and I'm sure others do and that's one place where Kydex shines since you can convert from one to the other style easily.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by On An Island View Post
My favorite IWB are:

Super Tuck Deluxe

CompTac Minotaur MTAC

My favorite OWB is:

Galco Yaqui Slide
I used to love the CompTac stuff but after using full kydex holsters I'll never go back. You would think the leather stuff would be more 'comfortable' and it is to the skin but kydex is solid and you put it on and you're not fighting it all day. I found that I was constant adjusting my Minotaur & C-TAC holsters from Comp-Tac as well as the other manufacturers that make similar style holsters. The first all Kydex holster I got was a Scorpion based on a recommendation from someone I trusted and I would have never bought one otherwise just based on looks. If you've seen them they're a giant solid piece of kydex and they look like the most uncomfortable holster ever. The opposite is actually true since it's rigid because you put it on and it stays where you put it and you're not adjusting it all the time like the others. Most people don't even realize how much they're having to adjust those style but get a Scorpion and try it and you'll see what I'm talking about. Any holsters I have with leather have either been sold off or sit in the bottom of a box/drawer somewhere collecting dust to likely never be used again. Kydex is the new leather.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
Why limit yourself? Order your holster plus IWB and OWB belt loops and experiment. I know Steve (ColoradoHolster.com) does this and I'm sure others do and that's one place where Kydex shines since you can convert from one to the other style easily.
that's even better id love to be able to try both. are the inside waistband comfortable to wear?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannell_Trd View Post
that's even better id love to be able to try both. are the inside waistband comfortable to wear?
Depends on your definition of 'comfort' as discussed in my previous post. OWB tends to be more comfortable when you first put it on and can be more so throughout the day however you can find yourself adjusting it and fighting with it more through the course of the day. IWB can seem more uncomfortable at first when you put it on and can get more uncomfortable as the day goes on but it tends to stay in place better and require less adjustment which can be more 'comfortable' to some. Just get a holster with both belt loops and try both and see what you think it's it's all opinion and preference anyway.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
Depends on your definition of 'comfort' as discussed in my previous post. OWB tends to be more comfortable when you first put it on and can be more so throughout the day however you can find yourself adjusting it and fighting with it more through the course of the day. IWB can seem more uncomfortable at first when you put it on and can get more uncomfortable as the day goes on but it tends to stay in place better and require less adjustment which can be more 'comfortable' to some. Just get a holster with both belt loops and try both and see what you think it's it's all opinion and preference anyway.
You made me think of something with IWB.... Your pant size. It might be obvious, but ...if your pants are tight and you try to stuff a IWB in there, it'll be a bit uncomfortable (but will be more stable). Buying pants that are slightly larger than you'd normally buy - might make it more comfortable.

If its not comfortable, you won't wear it.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You made me think of something with IWB.... Your pant size. It might be obvious, but ...if your pants are tight and you try to stuff a IWB in there, it'll be a bit uncomfortable (but will be more stable). Buying pants that are slightly larger than you'd normally buy - might make it more comfortable.

If its not comfortable, you won't wear it.
Yeah, you need to buy a size or two larger pants for IWB which I do but everything I said when comparing IWB to OWB still applies. When I wear OWB it's more comfortable but I feel like I'm constantly adjusting it when I get in or out of a vehicle or when I'm in public and what not. I also feel like my handgun sticks WAY out whenever I OWB because you don't have as much positive contact with your body with the entire firearm. You have the two contact points and then the rest just kind of sticks out from your body so you're constantly holding your arm near your side (especially if someone is near that side of your body or closer than you would like) and constantly trying to adjust it to that cherry spot where you feel like it prints the least. It also is gong to vary from body type to body type as well as where you position it on your waist. Far too many things that are opinion or preference to have someone on a truck forum tell you what is best IMO.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #20
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
I got a $40 IWB from homestead holsters and am liking it so far. This is my first holster for my first pistol, and as I understand it, it is an ongoing thing. Most people who have had pistols for a while have a drawer or box full of old holsters that they no longer like.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want more specific responses, ask a more specific question. As others have pointed out there is a myriad of options for CCW.