Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Ever Shot a Mosin Nagant?... (and rifle choice help)

Old 02-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
Ever Shot a Mosin Nagant?... (and rifle choice help)

So, I took mine out today, me and two other guys.

It kicks like a mule if you don't hold it just right. Sometimes it just doesn't seem like it kicks though...

I was sighting it in. I have the ATI scope mount and bolt handle. Sighted in the 17 HMR as well.

I need another rifle... What you guys and gals think between a Remington 700 and Ruger 77? What caliber? Looking at maybe 308. Maybe 338 RUM? Dang that would hurt... wouldn't it? Not that that matters...
Old 02-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
i have an m38 mosin nagant, i love shooting it but your right, it kicks a lot.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
K-31. Cheap and very accurate. The price of the rifle almost makes up for the price of the ammo.

between the two you mentioned, i would go with the 700. i have one and love it, plus there are plenty of aftermarket bells and whistles for it.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
buy a 7mm mag

it will hurt like a nagant
Old 02-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
I swapped to stock on my Mosin and its not bad at all now, used to kick pretty hard
Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here is a (phone) pic of what we were doing today. Unfortunately, I don't look good enough for the camera, so it's just a pic of my bros.

Edit: LOL! I just noticed that nice cow patty.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed_SS View Post
Here is a (phone) pic of what we were doing today. Unfortunately, I don't look good enough for the camera, so it's just a pic of my bros.

Not to thread jack, but how do you like that bi-pid mount? I have been looking for one for the Weatherby. What brand is it and where did you get it?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Stayed Up Too Late

Rock Mount Bipod. Wal Mart $40. or Bass Pro Shops ~$60 Internet can be various prices from ~$40 to ~$60.

They look just like Harris Bipods (and feel like it) but are half the price.

I love using it. To me, its just right for prone/benchrest shooting. Mounts to the sling stud in just a couple of seconds. And has a thingy where you can still attach sling things. (sorry for the bad grammar)

You can Google Shopping "Rock Mount Bipod"
Old 02-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Rock Mount Bipod. Wal Mart $40. or Bass Pro Shops ~$60 Internet can be various prices from ~$40 to ~$60.

They look just like Harris Bipods (and feel like it) but are half the price.

I love using it. To me, its just right for prone/benchrest shooting. Mounts to the sling stud in just a couple of seconds. And has a thingy where you can still attach sling things. (sorry for the bad grammar)

You can Google Shopping "Rock Mount Bipod"
Awesome, thanks. And nice rifles!!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
Stayed Up Too Late

No prob at all brother!

Thanks.

Happy Shooting.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
Still For Sale
BUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to all

Army: Chinook Crew 101st ABN
BUK 0H5's Tacoma Gallery
I have an M-44. I love it. Rifles sure aren't built like that any more. It's a freakin' arm cannon. Heads turn at the range whenever I shot it. As far as newer rifles go I have a Remingon 710. I finally got it out to the range and sighted in the other day. Not too shabby once I started actually hiting the paper.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
buyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nice

buyobuyo's Tacoma Gallery
What model Mosin was that originally? I would guess either an M44 or M38 based on the mule comment. What ammo are you shooting? Factory or Surplus?

I have 3 Mosins. An M91/30, M44, and a Finnish Civil Guard M39.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
Stayed Up Too Late

It is an M44. Shooting 182 gr surplus.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
i think im going to pick one up tomorrow and order the ati stock and scope mount and bolt how hard was it to do the bolt and scope mount , pretty much just need a good drill and a clamp right o yea did you chop your barrel too ?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
all ive ever owned as far as hunting rifles were remington 700's
they are extremely accurate guns. I had a .243 that I traded for my 7mm-08, that I use now and I had a .308 heavy barrel, all are awesome guns.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Have your bro's kick their legs out and bring that right elbow in tight - so they are in a true prone position and have a better/more stable firing position.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
30.06 or .308. I always choose calibers that I know I can find anywhere.

Maybe save up a bit and go with an AR platform?
good call, you can find .308 ANYWHERE! and there are so many choices; from 110gr bullets up to 200gr
Old 11-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #19
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
first of all the only thing you should be thinking about (in my mind) are 30-06 and .308. If you need bigger(big elk) then 300 win. I like the Remington 700 platform a lot, but then again I haven't shot many others. Savage makes a nice rifle for the price as does ruger. The choice really comes down to what you want to shoot.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #20

i helped out at a gun store around 10 years ago and we carried the savage brand, they were horrible! but I guess they have came along way in the last few years and are decent rifles now, and cheaper than remingtons, if money is an issue. I still would not personaly own one though