Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Can anyone ID this snake?

Old 06-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #21
stroked383z has a spectacular aura aboutstroked383z has a spectacular aura about
stroked383z's Tacoma Gallery
one way to tell poisonous from harmless is slant eye pupil mean bad news, and round pupil is harmless. I won't kill a black snake, garter snake, etc... they help with mice control, etc... a Black snake will even kill a Copperhead

Edit: Forgot about the Coral snake has round pupils and is poisonous. But you have to live where those are to even worry about it
Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #22
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You live in New England... there aren't any 'nasty snakes'. There are only 2 poisonous snakes in this region and they number in the hundreds across the entire region.
x2

Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #24
stroked383z has a spectacular aura aboutstroked383z has a spectacular aura about
stroked383z's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
I was always told arrow shape head is venomous
Well yeah, but some can fool you simply because it is a fat snake. but yes... The poisonous snakes have a wide triangle shaped head. Poisonous also have heat sensing pits on around their nose. Their nose is also pointy vs. the harmless round nosed snakes.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #25
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Never understood all the rules around identifying venomous snakes. Learn what a copperhead looks like. Learn what a cottonmouth looks like. Rattlesnakes are obvious. So are coral snakes. What else is there?

Unless you come across exotics, then the rules don't apply anyway. One of my favorites from back when I was in college:
Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #26
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenwick1993 View Post
That's just a little old garter. I used to catch them and keep them as pets- til my parents found them.
When I was a kid I had one just like that in the pic, except he was over 5 feet long. Thing was so fat it didn't care, made a decent pet.. LoL
Old 06-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Blunt tales and pointed heads, most of them are pit vipers. If they have a pointed tale they are harmless.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #28
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
^ ooorah to that
Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #29
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Found this guy not too long ago in a basement in Hubbardston, MA. Didn't mess with it, but threw a stone towards him and off he went.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #30
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
Ha! Ironically, this one I know...Milk Snake...Supposedly as beneficial as garters. I've seen them sell at pet stores for $60
Old 06-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #31
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked383z View Post
one way to tell poisonous from harmless is slant eye pupil mean bad news, and round pupil is harmless. I won't kill a black snake, garter snake, etc... they help with mice control, etc... a Black snake will even kill a Copperhead

Edit: Forgot about the Coral snake has round pupils and is poisonous. But you have to live where those are to even worry about it
haha ablack snake where i live is probably a water moccasin, south louisiana swamps and woods present some interesting reptiles, when it floods they climb up the trees, nothing more disconcerting to be walking in the woods and see a four foot water moccasin looking at you at eye level, or fall out of the tree next to you, i've had them come at me before, around here the only good snake is a dead snake haha
Old 06-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #32
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdude View Post
Ha! Ironically, this one I know...Milk Snake...Supposedly as beneficial as garters. I've seen them sell at pet stores for $60
Shoot! I should of wrangled him in and sold him on the market. I wonder if pet stores will buy animals and sell them at a higher price from the general public....
Old 06-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #33
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
Shoot! I should of wrangled him in and sold him on the market. I wonder if pet stores will buy animals and sell them at a higher price from the general public....
doubt it, im sure theres some regulation that the snakes have to be domestically bred in order to be sure that they arent carrying any diseases that wild snakes might have
Old 06-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #34
vballrkc is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
vballrkc's Tacoma Gallery
dumb

I kill any snake I see. I didn't used to be that way, but now that I have little kids, I don't know, better safe then sorry. I mean, it's in the Bible...."They will bruise your heel and you will crush their head." boom.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #35
Go Pro Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vballrkc View Post
I kill any snake I see. I didn't used to be that way, but now that I have little kids, I don't know, better safe then sorry. I mean, it's in the Bible...."They will bruise your heel and you will crush their head." boom.
which translates to "they'll bite your kids and you'll shoot them" 'murica
Old 06-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #36
docbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

docbrown's Tacoma Gallery
I have a simple rule regarding snakes. If I am in their environment - i.e. in the woods, on a river, etc, I give them a wide berth and leave them alone. If it is poisonous and in my yard, it's dead. If it found its way there once, it will again. If it's not poisonous and is in my yard, I leave it be since most snakes keep the rodent population in check. YMMV.