Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Can anyone ID this snake?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
Can anyone ID this snake?

About 2 feet long, a little bigger around than, say, a paper towel tube, black gold/yellow. Is it just a really big garter?
Attached Thumbnails
Can anyone ID this snake?-ds.jpg  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
some type of garter snake?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a plain ole common garter snake to me I've seen them get bigger than that, they're pretty harmless.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
that is not even a special garter snake

that is your generic, seen everywhere, common garter snake Thamnophis sirtalis
eats fish, frogs, mice, small birds

why is it smushed ? was it found that way or did you murder it ?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ Yes, I shot it....I know garters are harmless, but given it's size, I couldn't be sure, as I live in an area known for nasty snakes.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
in CT there are only 2 snakes you need to be able to identify and they
are easy to identify.

timber rattlesnake and northern copperhead.
all other snakes in CT are not going to harm anyone

these two snakes have bands and/or diamond patterns

http://www.preservevenomous.com/Veno...attlesnake.htm

http://www.preservevenomous.com/Veno...copperhead.htm
Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdude View Post
^ Yes, I shot it....I know garters are harmless, but given it's size, I couldn't be sure, as I live in an area known for nasty snakes.
You live in New England... there aren't any 'nasty snakes'. There are only 2 poisonous snakes in this region and they number in the hundreds across the entire region.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

Localhost, Pugga - thx for the info. In my town and the one bordering me, rattlers are common. Given this guy's thickness, I suspected copperhead...I would have left him to his thing, had I positively known
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bloodshart
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
I don't even kill any snakes in AZ, and you wanna talk about some nasty reptiles out here....
Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
We got a lot of rattlers where I live and I kill everyone of them. the other snake is the common bull snake I don't kill them because they eat rattlers.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Why are people so quick to kill them? I've had over a dozen encounters with rattle snakes and have yet to kill one.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Why are people so quick to kill them? I've had over a dozen encounters with rattle snakes and have yet to kill one.
My guess is they are uncommon so when people see them up here they freak out. If people up here lived in an area where they were a common occurance, they'd probably be more calm around them. There aren't a lot of poisonous reptiles or spiders in New England so pretty much every one is treated like it is one of the nasty ones simply because we're not used to them.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Fear
Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
g8rzguy78 is on a distinguished road

Name: J.C.
g8rzguy78's Tacoma Gallery
as long as its DEAD, it doesnt matter...
Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
My guess is they are uncommon so when people see them up here they freak out. If people up here lived in an area where they were a common occurance, they'd probably be more calm around them. There aren't a lot of poisonous reptiles or spiders in New England so pretty much every one is treated like it is one of the nasty ones simply because we're not used to them.
Oh i live in the city so i dont see them, only when i go out in there environment. But im assuming back east its pretty common to have them in your yard etc...
Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
That's just a little old garter. I used to catch them and keep them as pets- til my parents found them.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
I get snakes by the pool and rock ledge all the time. Some are ring neck but most are garter of all sizes. It is always fun to send the wife out to clean the pool skimmers cause she always screams. She screamed last time just because of a shed skin
Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
PreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Clayton
PreRunning's Tacoma Gallery
Snakes here in Missouri have a bounty on their heads. Paid by the nice old lady across the street who is deathly afraid of them. As far as I'm concerned, it slithers = dead.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
that looks nothing like a copperhead lol. coloration is totally different. pattern is different. it's skinny, has a tiny head, and no venom glands. the copperhead usually is not all that long, pretty thick compared to its length, different shades of tan, brown, "copper" color which alternate as it forms bands around its body (not up the length of its body) and has a large triangular shaped head.