Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Took the first step in an AR build

Old 06-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Took the first step in an AR build

I have had a hole(mostly in my mind..) in my gunsafe for years. Given all the floating legislation here in CA that would outlaw AR's, I decided to start a build. I first wanted a M&P, but the pricing and timing didn't work out, and I do like the idea of a fully self-built rifle. I even considered one of the 80% lower kits, but decided if they DO outlaw these in Cali, a registered lower would most likely be grandfathered, and it'd be hard to prove when an 80% was completed.

Anyway, I bought this from Turners:

They had 4 different lowers to choose from for $159 before fees. Truthfully all were almost identical, but the finish and engraving on the DTi was a bit better and the reviews online were all glowing. I also picked up the full parts kit for the lower and a separate bullet button to make it CA legal when I do the build.

The bad news is that the del-ton is completely sold out of the rest of their AR rifle kits to complete the AR which would have been my preference.
Attached Thumbnails
Took the first step in an AR build-lower.jpg  
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
congrats on your find! ...take care when you install the roll pin that holds the trigger guard in, as that is a weak part of the lower reciever, ...you wouldn't want to break it, especially now when they are hard to come by (a trick is to use a pair of taped up vice grips, slowly turn the screw to advance the pin into place same goes for the roll pin for the bolt catch assembly...
Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
congrats on your find! ...take care when you install the roll pin that holds the trigger guard in, as that is a weak part of the lower reciever, ...you wouldn't want to break it, especially now when they are hard to come by (a trick is to use a pair of taped up vice grips, slowly turn the screw to advance the pin into place same goes for the roll pin for the bolt catch assembly...
Thanks, that sounds like a great tip! I am looking forward to the build.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
That's not a horrible horrible price, though it's high for a Delton.

Doesn't Riflegear have any JD Machine lowers in stock? They should be around $130 out the door with DROS.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
(a trick is to use a pair of taped up vice grips, slowly turn the screw to advance the pin into place same goes for the roll pin for the bolt catch assembly...
Great tip! I have never used vice grips but it seems like it would work.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Rabid Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
That's not a horrible horrible price, though it's high for a Delton.

Doesn't Riflegear have any JD Machine lowers in stock? They should be around $130 out the door with DROS.
Negativo captain stevo. They ONLY have the billet, for the same price as turners though. $230 before tax/dros etc..

Attached Thumbnails
Took the first step in an AR build-negats.jpg  
Old 06-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Ouch... they're up to $200 for the basic lower?
My 3 lowers were $89-$120.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
Rabid Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ouch... they're up to $200 for the basic lower?
My 3 lowers were $89-$120.
Times have changed. I won't tell you what I paid for a case of 900 cci stingers at the last gun show.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Great tip! I have never used vice grips but it seems like it would work.
yep, it works! ....tape the jaws up good, ....relying on a hammer and punch it's easy to scratch the finish...
Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
For the bolt catch assy, I go the opposite way and this works a lot easier and less chance of scratching. I use a brass punch and a small tack hammer.
barrell end ----->stock end
And for the trigger guard I put a wood block under the ears as I am slowly tapping the roll pin in with a small tack hammer
Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a good start, heres my first (and only so far) build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
build your own, i built mine, i own everything on it except the lower, and when i'm 18 the lower will be in my name, price was just over 1k.

i bought 99% of it right before the prices went up, the only thing i had to wait for was my BCG, and i got it for free since it took them 3-4 months to get it to me.
link for info
http://www.msgunowners.com/t41872-my-first-ar
Old 06-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
check ammo bros? I saw some lowers for 129 there lately.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
Rabid Conservative

Picking it up today!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Woot!