1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck gun

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by K.sauer, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Jul 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    K.sauer

K.sauer [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koy
    Charleston sc
    Vehicle:
    2013 prerunner sport
    Removed tailgate badges, blacked out all tacoma badges, blacked out 3rd brake light, k&n filter, removed charcoal filter,removed front mud flaps
    So I'm building a custom gun mount for behind my back seat. And I decided while I'm waiting for parts I'm gonna start working on my truck gun.so I started with a Stevens single shot 20 gauge.

image.jpg

2. Jul 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    K.sauer

K.sauer [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koy
    Charleston sc
    Vehicle:
    2013 prerunner sport
    Removed tailgate badges, blacked out all tacoma badges, blacked out 3rd brake light, k&n filter, removed charcoal filter,removed front mud flaps
    So I took the gun completely apart cleaned up all the rust painted the stock cut the barrel down from 26 inches to 18.5, I have a few other mods planned but this is how she sits now.

image.jpg

3. Jul 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    K.sauer

K.sauer [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koy
    Charleston sc
    Vehicle:
    2013 prerunner sport
    Later I'm going to either re blue all the metal or duracoat. Add a butt stock shell holder and maybe a rubber butt pad, I'm also trying to decide what I want to do about sights

4. Jul 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I've found an I.O. AK 47 works well as a truck gun. Takes to being knocked around and mistreated and still goes BANG when it needs to. I'd be hesitant to rely on a truck gun that did not allow multiple shots without reloading.

5. Jul 18, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    K.sauer

K.sauer [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koy
    Charleston sc
    Vehicle:
    2013 prerunner sport
    the mount that i am building is going to alow two rifles and a pistol to sit back there. and the reason why i chose the single barrel shotgun as one, is i have on order those inserts you can put in shotguns allowing them to shoot .22lr 9mm .45acp .22 mag .38spl and i think a few others. I only ordered the .22lr, 9mm and 38spl ones for now. you can also fire flare rounds and countless other specialty rounds out of a shotgun, so it actually makes it a perfect truck gun. im also planning on putting a m14 back there with a taurus model 85 in 357mag. and if i ever run into a situation that those 3 can not handle either survival or defensive. then i am probably gonna die regaurdless of what type of firearm that i have. i do however agree with you that a AK 47 is also a great truck gun, just not suitable for what im looking for. i do alot of primitive camping so everything i carry needs to be dual purpose. lol i would not want to see what a 7.62 round does to a squirrel or rabbit.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  6. Jul 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    SkottK62

SkottK62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    LOL

7. Jul 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Wow, you can use "edit" to keep your thoughts on 1 post, you know ;)

You have an USAF icon; you plan on keeping those firearms in your car on post?

Does 20 gauge have the same "support" that a 12 gauge does in terms of ammo variety? Flares, bean bags, etc? I honestly don't know. It's a good small caliber and easy to handle, but might not be as robust as you're thinking. And where on the truck are you going to be sure it's 100% secure, since most places will be visible and subject to theft?

8. Jul 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
  9. Jul 20, 2013 at 4:48 AM
    K.sauer

K.sauer [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koy
    Charleston sc
    Vehicle:
    2013 prerunner sport
    No I won't be leaving it in my truck while I'm on base it's mostly for when I either go camping or road trips. And yes there is a huge variety of ammo for a 20gauge. And honestly the only reason it's a 20ga and not a 12 is just because that happens to be what I had lying around that I didn't mind cutting the barrel off and experimenting with. As for mounting its gonna be behind the back seat in a custom mount that I am in the process of building, so it will not be visible at all unless you get in my truck and pull the back seat forward. I think alot of people reading this post keep forgetting that this for the most part is not about getting in a firefight with someone on the side of the road it's a survival gun it's breaks in half and fits into a small backpack I can carry a lot of rounds easily its something that I can reload the spent shotshells in the woods if I need to. It's a shotgun if I have to ill shoot rocks out of the barrel. I've survived in the woods with no gun when I go primitive camping and I've survived with a gun when I go, it's much easier with.

Products Discussed in

To Top