Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Glock slide coating

Old 07-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Glock slide coating

Anyone know what's up with the newest glock gen3 slide coating?
I saw them at a gun store recently. It looks like it has no texture. It's just a slick kinda shiny black. Maybe grayish black. The 2 on display had scratches on them. They are the made in austria model as well. My old gen3 has a rough texture to it. And it's been dropped and the finish is still solid.

I know the made in US one has a different finish as well. It's a matte black with a roughy feeling texture
Old 07-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed......
Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Glock was using a Tenifer finish, which is a metal treatment and not a coating. It has since been discontinued due to the process being highly caustic (and other things).

New Glock models are coated, which is crap in comparison.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'll post a pic in 11-12 days... If I remember...
Old 07-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
Greg Graffin 2016

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/5830053023

I got un-lazy and did some research. It's now a nitrade finish because tennifer was too hazardous... Wtf? It also applies to the gen3 glocks
Old 07-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #6
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I can't find a consensus on whether or not Glock has stopped using the Tenifer treatment and switched to another nitriding like Melonite, but I will say they have and still do add a coating over the treated metal.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I can't find a consensus on whether or not Glock has stopped using the Tenifer treatment and switched to another nitriding like Melonite, but I will say they have and still do add a coating over the treated metal.
Consensus? Glock Inc. released the info.

Call them with questions.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
Greg Graffin 2016

Glocks have different coating... New one on the right. Dated 05/2013
Old 08-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
All my Glocks have matching slide coatings...but from what I understand...the tennifer or whatever is actually a metal treatment and not a finish...and they do something like parkerize on top of the treatment
Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
All my Glocks have matching slide coatings...but from what I understand...the tennifer or whatever is actually a metal treatment and not a finish...and they do something like parkerize on top of the treatment
Glock had to change their metal treatment process (Tennifer) due to the amount of hazardous waste it produced. The new slides aren't as durable as a result unfortunately.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
Glock had to change their metal treatment process (Tennifer) due to the amount of hazardous waste it produced. The new slides aren't as durable as a result unfortunately.
i know that...but the tennifer is a metal treatment for the bare metal underneath whatever the actual finish is

I dont know if this affects the quality of the finish or the durability of it but allegedly the actual slide/metal is just as durable as it was when it was Tennifer

Anyone know WHEN they changed? people seem to vary in their opinions but most discussion seems to be centered around 2011
Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
i know that...but the tennifer is a metal treatment for the bare metal underneath whatever the actual finish is

I dont know if this affects the quality of the finish or the durability of it but allegedly the actual slide/metal is just as durable as it was when it was Tennifer

Anyone know WHEN they changed? people seem to vary in their opinions but most discussion seems to be centered around 2011
Yeah but the base for the coating is everything. This is why prep is so important whenever you're doing some sort of coating to something. In this case the slide itself has a different 'texture' which can lend to durability issues of the coating itself and will give a different visual appearance as well.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

good point

do we know when they switched? because my 07 manufactured G22 has quite a bit of wear on the slide finish
Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

I figured as such...I'll have to take some pics of a couple of G22s that were manufactured late 06/early 07 for this thread

they should be Tennifer and theres def. heavy finish wear etc
Old 08-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
I figured as such...I'll have to take some pics of a couple of G22s that were manufactured late 06/early 07 for this thread

they should be Tennifer and theres def. heavy finish wear etc
All gun finishes wear. Some are just more resistant than others. If you had something else it would probably have more wear.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #17
tacoglock19 is on a distinguished road

tacoglock19's Tacoma Gallery
New member here. I have been a creeper until today. Saw a Glock thread (albeit an old one) and decided to chime in. I have never cared enough to look into what kind of coating they use on any of them. I know that my G19 and G41 are completely different in finish. The new G41 (Gen4) is a much smoother and more subtle looking black than the G19 (Gen3). I don't care about the finish. All I know is that I love them both and they go BOOOOOM when I want them to.

Anyway, the real point of my post was to introduce myself to the Glock guys on TW. Hello to all. I will always talk guns if anyone wants to bend my ear about them.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #18
Greg Graffin 2016

Welcome to Tw!

I notice my glock and my m&p has almost the same coating.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #19
tacoglock19 is on a distinguished road

tacoglock19's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to be here. Also, REALLY glad to see some gun lovers here!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #20
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoglock19 View Post
New member here. I have been a creeper until today. Saw a Glock thread (albeit an old one) and decided to chime in. I have never cared enough to look into what kind of coating they use on any of them. I know that my G19 and G41 are completely different in finish. The new G41 (Gen4) is a much smoother and more subtle looking black than the G19 (Gen3). I don't care about the finish. All I know is that I love them both and they go BOOOOOM when I want them to.

Anyway, the real point of my post was to introduce myself to the Glock guys on TW. Hello to all. I will always talk guns if anyone wants to bend my ear about them.
It's pretty widely known that the Gen 4 Glocks no longer use the same coating process as it was deemed too caustic for the environment. My guess is this is the difference you're experiencing.