LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Considerations for my first handgun

Old 08-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Glock>XD any day of the week. When contacting both companies regarding the reliability of the striker spring Glock will tell you that you can leave a round chambered indefinitely and will not have an issue. Springfield avoids the question. That being said I own multiple Glocks and XD's. Love them both but would trust my life with a Glock before an XD.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #22
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Brandon
Bsheriff11's Tacoma Gallery
Best thing you can do is go to a gun show or place with a lot of variety and see which guns fit your hand the best, then you can decide. All of the guns recommended are good guns, but you need to get your hands on them. Personally, I like the CZ-USA P-01 as a concealed carry weapon as it is extremely comfortable, reliable, and accurate for me, and is reasonably priced for the quality.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #23
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsheriff11 View Post
Best thing you can do is go to a gun show or place with a lot of variety and see which guns fit your hand the best, then you can decide. All of the guns recommended are good guns, but you need to get your hands on them. Personally, I like the CZ-USA P-01 as a concealed carry weapon as it is extremely comfortable, reliable, and accurate for me, and is reasonably priced for the quality.
Agreed. Whichever is most comfortable/you shoot the best is the best.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #24
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ View Post
Agreed. Whichever is most comfortable/you shoot the best is the best.
Disagree. Of the reputable pistols that are reliable and have the features you are looking for choose out of those based in what fits your hand and what you shoot the best. If it fits your hand and is a piece of unreliable junk who cares.

I would recommend trying out the Glock 19, Springfield XDm, and M&P Shield all in 9mm. Whatever you do, make an educated decision. Good on you for doing your research first. Now just get some time behind the guns if and when you can.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #25
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not going to try to tell you what I think you should do. The best gun for you is what you decide is the best gun for you. I will say that I think the Springfield XD's are OK guns but in my opinion are nothing more than complex American copies of the Glock design. The XD and the Glock are both polymer framed, striker fired semi-auto pistols. The Glock is a simpler design with a much longer track record. So, take your time and make a sound decision and not an impulsive one. I concur with the previous posters that are advising you to make an educated decision. Good Luck.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #26
BLACK TACO
Neff09 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
Neff09's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Don't buy anything just based on the recommendations of others.

Go to a range that has rentals and shoot a bunch of models. YOU are the only one that needs to like and be comfortable with the weapon you chose.
+1 get what feels most comfortable in your hands

Also, if you're worried about recoil then get an all steel framed pistol, the weight will absorb more recoil. I had a cz97b 45acp that felt like a 9mm.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #27
BLACK TACO
Neff09 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
Neff09's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsheriff11 View Post
I love CZ's! I have a Cz 75 compact, the all steel version of the p-01. Its a great little gun!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #28
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Disagree. Of the reputable pistols that are reliable and have the features you are looking for choose out of those based in what fits your hand and what you shoot the best. If it fits your hand and is a piece of unreliable junk who cares.

I would recommend trying out the Glock 19, Springfield XDm, and M&P Shield all in 9mm. Whatever you do, make an educated decision. Good on you for doing your research first. Now just get some time behind the guns if and when you can.
I assumed looking only at reputable brands was a foregone conclusion.

I shot Glocks, M&P and the XDm. I liked the Springfield the best.

It takes trigger time to make an informed decision.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #29
aznvtaco is a jewel in the roughaznvtaco is a jewel in the roughaznvtaco is a jewel in the rough
aznvtaco's Tacoma Gallery
my first hand gun i just got is a 38 special revolver - i want a 357 revolver and the 44mag revolver
Old 08-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #30
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
Poor recommendation IMO.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #31
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
Poor recommendation IMO.
yup. over priced and overrated. IMO
Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #33
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
Poor recommendation IMO.
To each his own,its better than a crappy Croatia pistol.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #34
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
To each his own,its better than a crappy Croatia pistol.
Kimber makes a nice 1911, but a poor value 1911 at their price points. Which is not what anyone should bother with for a first time purchase of a handgun OR a first 1911. Even then, definitely not an Ultra size nor the stainless version.

If you think it's the best ever then great for you. I just thought it was a poor recommendation in general. I didn't say yours are crap.

And from your comment, is US crap a superior version of crap?
Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #35
JTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
JTS2014TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a Glock 19 9mm for my first hand gun. I then went on to buy a couple more handguns including the XD-S 9 and 45. The gun I carry every day is a Smith and Wesson M&P 40C. I love my glock but where I live the only caliber I can find hollow points in is .40 so I carry that M&P. Just try to find a range near you where you can try out the guns and see what you like and go with that. Just my .02
Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #36
FWIW, OP, I would recommend not paying attention to caliber or specific platforms or suggestions from anybody until you have gone to a range (maybe a few times) and personally handled and fired different platforms and calibers. I'm a .45 shooter and am pretty damn accurate, but the first time I fired a Glock in .40 (I have 2 .45 Glocks already) I couldn't hit a thing with it.

So hit the range, if you're thinking about auto loaders then I'd stick with the major calibers (9mm, .40, .45) and see which you're most comfortable with as far as recoil and other things. You may find a platform that you like doing that type of testing first. If not, you can easily narrow down your choices by the caliber you prefer.

All else matters not if you can't hit accurately with it every time, or your shooting style doesn't mesh with the platform. I stress again that if you plan on carrying a weapon then you need to be putting in regular range time with that weapon and your preferred carry ammunition. If anything prevents that (time, money, etc,.) then you should think twice about carrying in the first place. A weapon you're not intimately familiar with has no place in public where others will be put at risk.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #37
vssman will become famous soon enoughvssman will become famous soon enough
vssman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Don't buy anything just based on the recommendations of others.

Go to a range that has rentals and shoot a bunch of models. YOU are the only one that needs to like and be comfortable with the weapon you chose.
Excellent advice. You need to put shots downrange and find what fit your hand best and you can keep on target. Keep in mind that (God forbid) you have to use it, you'll end up firing a number of rounds and each of those has to hit the intended target. A gun that doesn't fit your hand properly will move in your grip making rapid, accurate shots more difficult.Just something to think of: If you can't hit your target with a .45 but can with a .22, what would better protect you? (Eventhough it's a small round, I know I wouldn't want to be hit by a .22 let alone several shots that are placed in a tight group...)
Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #39
TomTwo is on a distinguished road
Army: 1st Infantry Division
TomTwo's Tacoma Gallery
Glock 19 or 23